Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: REQUEST FOR COMMENTS: Reunification Proposal
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »
I don't really care about an absent owner. What is there to care about? As long as the forum can operate autonomously on its own, it doesn't matter if he exists or not. An absent owner is just static, in the background, not contributing or posting to the forums. I would rather not be concerned with "being the better FES," or any fruitless competition between websites, but taking a unified FES to the next level and to new heights in the face of adversity.

Why be jealous of Daniel? He's not the person the everyone on the forum is interested in and wants to talk to. People want to talk to the Flat Earthers who argue for FET. Instead feel sad for Daniel, that he is putting money into a website for an unearned title with no one interested in talking to him. Accept his existence as owner of the website, and forget the matter. There are better things to do.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:40:02 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
I'm not panicking. And if they're coming here then that is vastly different and I don't mind reunification. See how easy that was? I don't care terribly one way or the other but I'm still hesitant to see the outcome.

Why would voting be productive if everyone else wants this? I already said how I felt before the vote. It's just and wait and see thing for me.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »
Why would voting be productive if everyone else wants this
Because if more people share this sentiment, then it suddenly becomes something that not everyone wants.

I'm not panicking. And if they're coming here then that is vastly different and I don't mind reunification. See how easy that was?
It was as easy as reading the OP before spreading FUD.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
No one else agreed when the 3 of us said this before the vote, so obviously no one shares the sentiment.

I did read the OP, but it's still a wait and see thing for me. I like this forum and I wasn't crazy about the other one. When we're merged I'm not sure how much I'll like it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:40:19 AM by rooster »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2015, 11:35:45 AM »
ok
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
I don't understand why people suddenly started taking Thork's tantrums seriously, especially now after we've secured more power than we originally planned.

Thork's tantrums are made a powerful enemy
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »
If we don't want Daniel and Wilmore in charge of everything, make a strong ZC. That's the whole point of the ZC. Don't let what happened to UA happen to it. Between our wise, benevolent administration and modified the zetetic council proposed by Tom, I don't think there's all that much room for Daniel to screw things up.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »
Also, not voting on a proposal you're opposed to is the least productive thing possible. We can't hope to accurately represent what people want if they actively hold themselves back from telling us what they want.

I'm sure you mean accurately represent what people want who fell on your side of the schism.

...I'm happy to discuss things at length to make sure that everyone is informed and satisfied. Just, please, don't succumb to random panic.

Again, everyone with 50 or more posts on tfes.org prior to ~Dec 27th right?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »
Also, not voting on a proposal you're opposed to is the least productive thing possible. We can't hope to accurately represent what people want if they actively hold themselves back from telling us what they want.

I'm sure you mean accurately represent what people want who fell on your side of the schism.

...I'm happy to discuss things at length to make sure that everyone is informed and satisfied. Just, please, don't succumb to random panic.

Yes, this thread is for members of this website to vote on the proposition.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2015, 06:33:36 PM »

Do you take offense with the fact that no one at .org got to vote? That seems like your problem. Get your admins together and make your own poll.

Oh wait...

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
Oh, so it's not really about reuniting a community as much as getting the .org with the higher Google results?  That's fine if that's what it is, but it really shouldn't be called a reunification proposal.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
Are they talking about this merger at all on the other forum?

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2015, 06:40:14 PM »
Oh, so it's not really about reuniting a community as much as getting the .org with the higher Google results?  That's fine if that's what it is, but it really shouldn't be called a reunification proposal.
There is a thread about it on the other forum.

However, as we are not full members there (not all of us anyway) we do not have a say in the political procedures.  Daniel, Wilmore, and Davis are the ones who should be talking to you about it, making a poll, etc...

You can't expect us to do this work for you when it's not our forum.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2015, 06:41:50 PM »
Can someone link me to the thread over there? I couldn't find it.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
Are they talking about this merger at all on the other forum?

A few members are but the administration has remained characteristically taciturn.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61930.0#.VLQVxtLF-Gc

Ghost of V

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »

Please try to stay on topic. This is about reunification, not google results or anything else. If you want to discuss that then make a new thread.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2015, 06:59:16 PM »

However, as we are not full members there (not all of us anyway) we do not have a say in the political procedures.  Daniel, Wilmore, and Davis are the ones who should be talking to you about it, making a poll, etc...

I'm sure that the natives in the Mid-Americas would have liked to have been consulted when France sold a large landmass to the United States government.  Does it make it okay because the French government sucked?  Does it make the voices of the purchased less meaningful?  Did they feel okay about being acquired because their comments fell upon the deaf ears of their government?

Or, do you think that it would have been nice if there were even allowed to vote?  It's not like we're talking about strangers, these are people engaged in a community that is about to be merged and because our "government" is ineffective and aloof we get no say.  And when one tries to make their voice heard, their vote is stricken away.  Gotham isn't a stranger either, we all know him (or at least of him).

I have no experience with how these forums are ran, but it seems to me that we will be replacing one tyrant for another. 

I will be perfectly happy to have Gotham's vote unstricken.  I feel it will show that the administration of this forum is at least amiable to the wants of the members of the "old" forum.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »

I'm sure that the natives in the Mid-Americas would have liked to have been consulted when France sold a large landmass to the United States government.  Does it make it okay because the French government sucked?  Does it make the voices of the purchased less meaningful?  Did they feel okay about being acquired because their comments fell upon the deaf ears of their government?

Or, do you think that it would have been nice if there were even allowed to vote?  It's not like we're talking about strangers, these are people engaged in a community that is about to be merged and because our "government" is ineffective and aloof we get no say.  And when one tries to make their voice heard, their vote is stricken away.  Gotham isn't a stranger either, we all know him (or at least of him).

I have no experience with how these forums are ran, but it seems to me that we will be replacing one tyrant for another. 

I will be perfectly happy to have Gotham's vote unstricken.  I feel it will show that the administration of this forum is at least amiable to the wants of the members of the "old" forum.

Why?
This vote is for this forum's members.  Why not just make a poll on your end?  Based on what I know about the admins here, if there was a sizable "no" on that end, they'd probably bring that issue up before the merger.

Or would you prefer I do it for you?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »
Because we all know that a poll on my end will be as effective as... well as effective as the incumbent administration.

To carry my analogy further, what I'm doing is lobbying the American government (sorry for the comparison) to at least hear us.  The American population seems to not care about the voices of the ones their government is taking over (not sorry for that one, it's too accurate).  In fact, they care so little, they object to a vote be unstricken that won't even change the outcome.  Is the notion of us even be given a meaningless token to acknowledge the administration is listening really that much of an affront to you?  It seems to me like a very reasonable request.

On a side, if I have indeed misread all of this and the thread is truly only for people on this site with >50 posts as of late December, I am sorry and I will quietly await our "unification".

Ghost of V

« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:33 PM »
Because we all know that a poll on my end will be as effective as... well as effective as the incumbent administration.

I don't understand. Make a poll, or contact your admins to make a poll. This isn't really our problem. If your admins refuse to acknowledge the userbase on their own forum then there's not much we can do to help you.