Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
Space Tourism
« on: December 01, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
Space tourism already happens, many wealthy people have gone to the International Space Station on a Soyuz.  SpaceX is a private company that has been doing supply missions to the ISS and they are a space agency for hire, and also Virgin Galactic has done many tests of their Space Ship Two and recently Blue Origin did their first test flight and it was a success.  There are a few other space agencies that have not yet launched anything but they are working towards it, like one that plans to sell suborbital space planes commercially to universities and anyone with a few million dollars.  There is also a company offering high altitude balloon rides to altitudes so high that the curvature of the Earth is easilly visible.

So how do flat earthers reconsile this with their belief that Earth is flat?  Would you give up your flat Earth beliefs if these space agencies fulfilled their promises?
If we are having a debate and you resort to using insults and ad hominem fallacies then I will consider that a win.  You have been warned.

geckothegeek

Re: Space Tourism
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »
I don't believe any so-called "flat earth believers" are going to stop "believing" in a flat earth no matter what evidence you published. Hasn't worked so far. LOL. 

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »
I don't believe any so-called "flat earth believers" are going to stop "believing" in a flat earth no matter what evidence you published. Hasn't worked so far. LOL.

It would be interesting to see how they still justify their belief when civilians go to space on a regular basis.
If we are having a debate and you resort to using insults and ad hominem fallacies then I will consider that a win.  You have been warned.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »
This has been one of my main points since I joined here. Privatized space flights post a drastic risk to the conspiracy that is supposedly hiding the shape of the earth.

It started to look grim for the theory when the average jerk with a few hundred bucks could launch high-altitude balloons and take photographs of the earth, and the wheels come completely off when privatized space tourism became a thing.

To argue that everyone involved in space tourism and privatized space flights are 'in on it' is admitting to a scope of a conspiracy that is way too big to be believable, simply for the sheer number of people involved.

One of the points of the flat earth argument is that space flight is actually impossible- therefore, you'd be adding thousands of people to a conspiracy- Human nature would see a chink in the armor....a leak from a reputable source which would blow the lid off the whole gag.

Or at the very least, if they weren't included, these private flights would be mysteriously shut down, illegalized, or pushed to failure for one reason or another.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:11:33 AM »

It would be interesting to see how they still justify their belief when civilians go to space on a regular basis.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's something that's been promised as "just around the corner" for 50 years now.

Public space flight? Don't hold your breath.

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 03:36:22 PM »
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's something that's been promised as "just around the corner" for 50 years now.

Public space flight? Don't hold your breath.

And some of these "promises" have been fulfilled because anyone with a few million dollars who is in good physical condition can get a ride to the ISS on a Soyuz.  Many people have done it and none of them claim that they didn't get exactly what they paid for.

Recently Blue Origin did a successful test flight of their suborbital space craft designed for commercial space flight and Virgin Galactic has had such a ship for a while now.  All that's left is to do enough test flights to make sure it's safe enough and to fix any errors they find in the process, which might take 2-3 years at the most.  There are also dozens of other companies emerging that are attempting to get into the newly developing space tourism industry, like one that sells a private suborbital space plane and one that sells private inflatable space stations.  Boeing is also getting in on it with their WIP orbital passenger vehicle meant for tourists.  By far the most developed private space travel agency is SpaceX which has already started launching resupply missions to the ISS and they have nearly developed a passenger vehicle.

So yeah, I guess we will have to wait and see.  Would you become a round earther if all this stuff becomes a reality?  Just curious.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »
The Soyuz flights aren't an ongoing program.  They stopped doing that years ago, and only seven private citizens took part in it.  That's a number the conspiracy could easily control.

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
The Soyuz flights aren't an ongoing program.  They stopped doing that years ago, and only seven private citizens took part in it.  That's a number the conspiracy could easily control.

Perhaps you could describe what you think happened when those people approached the space agency and told them that they want to go to space.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 06:54:23 PM »
I don't know.  Bribes may have been involved, but given how high-profile these people are, it may have been threats instead.  In any case, all I'm really saying is that widespread space tourism is far from the done deal that most people just seem to assume it is.

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »
I don't know.  Bribes may have been involved, but given how high-profile these people are, it may have been threats instead.  In any case, all I'm really saying is that widespread space tourism is far from the done deal that most people just seem to assume it is.

If space tourism does become wide spread then will that convince you that space travel is real and falsify flat Earth?

I have a feeling that this will be the last nail in the coffin of flat Earth.

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 08:02:46 PM »

If space tourism does become wide spread then will that convince you that space travel is real and falsify flat Earth?

I have a feeling that this will be the last nail in the coffin of flat Earth.

I have a feeling that the FES will go on and they will never be convinced of any thing that is a reality. As the French would call it, I have a feeling it is just a case of the "Ide'e Fixe".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id%C3%A9e_fixe_(psychology)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but for what it's worth: It would convince me that space travel is real and almost convince me that the Earth isn't flat. Any FE model based around the electromagnetic acceleration theory would still be viable, but if we were able to start taking measurements from space, that could be easily confirmed or denied.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 03:26:13 AM »
But you could easily look back and see a spherical earth, how could you continue believing a flat earth?

Offline FEexperimenter

• Computers are a conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 03:54:01 PM »
But you could easily look back and see a spherical earth, how could you continue believing a flat earth?

You can never trust your eyes.
I am a troll/alt.  Don't believe a word I say about computers being fake and Earth being flat.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 05:19:06 AM »
I already addressed this:

Any FE model based around the electromagnetic acceleration theory would still be viable
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume