Could satellite tracking prove the Earth is a globe?
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:30:24 PM »
I've been pondering an experiment to prove the Earth is a globe, and I want to know what y'all think. Set up 2 stations a certain distance apart, both with a directional antenna and some kind of radio equipment to detect a GPS satellite. Could be as simple as power meter (I happen to have one of these, they're not hard to come by), or even something with the smarts to decode the signal and tell you about the specific satellite you're looking at, such as with an inexpensive SDR. Both stations can track a single satellite across the sky, and using the angles from both locations and the locations themselves you may triangulate the position of the satellite in the sky over time. If the satellite is flying on a straight path over a flat earth you'll see a straight path, and if the satellite is orbiting a globe earth you'll see a curved path. Additionally, if these measurements were taken on a globe earth the satellite would be at the horizon at one station, but could still be measured overhead relatively nearby. On a flat earth it would need to be very far away in order to appear to be at the horizon. Thoughts?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: Could satellite tracking prove the Earth is a globe?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 11:14:38 PM »
I've been pondering an experiment to prove the Earth is a globe, and I want to know what y'all think. Set up 2 stations a certain distance apart, both with a directional antenna and some kind of radio equipment to detect a GPS satellite. Could be as simple as power meter (I happen to have one of these, they're not hard to come by), or even something with the smarts to decode the signal and tell you about the specific satellite you're looking at, such as with an inexpensive SDR. Both stations can track a single satellite across the sky, and using the angles from both locations and the locations themselves you may triangulate the position of the satellite in the sky over time. If the satellite is flying on a straight path over a flat earth you'll see a straight path, and if the satellite is orbiting a globe earth you'll see a curved path. Additionally, if these measurements were taken on a globe earth the satellite would be at the horizon at one station, but could still be measured overhead relatively nearby. On a flat earth it would need to be very far away in order to appear to be at the horizon. Thoughts?

Much easier and cheaper.  Get one of many satellite tracking apps, pick out one with a polar orbit, see it move across the sky from north to south or south to north.  Case closed.

I use Star Walk.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 02:02:07 AM »
satellite tracking app

The purpose of the experiment is to get this information first hand, if one is already convinced of a global conspiracy it's not much of a leap to disbelieve the information coming from some app.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 02:58:23 AM »
satellite tracking app

The purpose of the experiment is to get this information first hand, if one is already convinced of a global conspiracy it's not much of a leap to disbelieve the information coming from some app.
Yes, that's where the "see it move across the sky" part comes into play.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 03:27:30 AM »
see it move across the sky" part comes into play.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying, I'd assumed you meant watch it on the app. How exactly would you watch it? I didn't know they were visible in the sky, I've only ever heard of being able to see satellites while they're transiting the moon or the sun.

Besides, being able to see some object move across the sky wouldn't prove anything either, the only evidence you have that it is in a polar object around a globe is the fact that an app tells you so. Even making observations simultaneously on both sides of the south pole wouldn't prove an orbit, it could just be 2 objects choreographed to appear that they're the same. Additionally, if you felt like making a trip to the south pole, you could just try to find the ice wall and that would be just as good.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 05:34:33 AM »
If you know where to look (information gained from an app or website), you can see many satellites either naked-eye or with binoculars (first hand information).  That's all I meant by my reply.  I am sympathetic to your observation that "being able to see some object move across the sky wouldn't prove anything" however.  Such observations are always subject to "maybe it was something else" objections, which are difficult to adequately refute.  I think the best object for these types of observation is the ISS, which has very well publicized orbits and a distinctive shape.  Observers at locations remote from each other can observe lunar or solar transits, as you mention, and from their observations one can calculate the object's altitude from the relative angels.  These calculations place the object at higher altitudes than any airplane has ever been able to fly.  Add to that the ability of a good telescope to resolve the object in sharp enough detail to make it obvious that whatever it is, it isn't an airworthy machine for atmospheric flight, hence NOT an airplane.  Even the easier observation of the simple "fast dot in the sky" variety are easy to show as not being aircraft.  Observers in two cities both watch the dot moving across their sky, simultaneously, exactly where the app predicted it would be.  Calculate where an airplane would have to be for both observers to see it, and how fast it would be going.  The numbers will be impossible for any airplane ever built.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 05:49:47 AM »
Why not just track the sun?

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 06:37:57 AM »
Why not just track the sun?

If I'm not wrong, there's some nonsense about a distant object over a curved earth looks the same as a near object over a flat surface, but I don't know. The satellites thing is what I thought of, that's why I posted about that instead of the sun.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »
satellite tracking app

Sorry I was not clear.  The app helps you locate the satellite in the sky.  Most can be see with the naked eye.  I chose polar orbits to eliminate the cosmic whirlpool argument.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »

Go out and buy some really expensive shit. Spend countless hours categorizing the records and present them to me here. I will look at them and give you my conclusion.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 04:49:37 AM »
I will look at them and give you my conclusion.

Honestly I'm just wondering why no FE person has done these kinds of experiments. You don't get to ask me for evidence disproving your position, that's not how science works. You're totally free to find some pro-globe forum and ask them why they're not conducting experiments like this, the only problem with that is that you'd look like a moron, because they are. At the end of the day, the FE position is largely predicated on a distrust of external sources of information (conspiracy theories and the like), so why would you trust me? What you need to do is seek out original research from sources you do trust, and when you don't find it, ask yourself why no one has conducted a simple experiment like this and proved flat earth.

really expensive shit

Wouldn't cost much. As we've been talking about in this thread, satellites are quite easily visible in the sky with no special equipment, and could be measured with centuries old navigation technology. Make yourself a cardboard sextant and buy some dollar store binoculars, you're ready to go.

Spend countless hours

lol yeah, that science stuff sure is hard work, let's just make shit up instead
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:00:15 AM by h0dgep0dge »

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »

Honestly I'm just wondering why no FE person has done these kinds of experiments. You don't get to ask me for evidence disproving your position, that's not how science works. You're totally free to find some pro-globe forum and ask them why they're not conducting experiments like this, the only problem with that is that you'd look like a moron, because they are. At the end of the day, the FE position is largely predicated on a distrust of external sources of information (conspiracy theories and the like), so why would you trust me? What you need to do is seek out original research from sources you do trust, and when you don't find it, ask yourself why no one has conducted a simple experiment like this and proved flat earth.

really expensive shit

Wouldn't cost much. As we've been talking about in this thread, satellites are quite easily visible in the sky with no special equipment, and could be measured with centuries old navigation technology. Make yourself a cardboard sextant and buy some dollar store binoculars, you're ready to go.

Spend countless hours

Like you made up gravity? I did an experiment in the flat ocean. I expelled all the air from my lungs and I sank like a rock. I filled my lungs with a big breath and dang I floated. This gravity thingy can hold oceans down as we spin like a top but can't hold me down with just a breath of air. Stupid.....
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »

really expensive shit

Spend countless hours

Like you made up gravity? I did an experiment in the flat ocean. I expelled all the air from my lungs and I sank like a rock. I filled my lungs with a big breath and dang I floated. This gravity thingy can hold oceans down as we spin like a top but can't hold me down with just a breath of air. Stupid.....

The dumb is strong with this one. I hope you're just kidding. Buoyancy, water displacement... If there is no gravity (or some made up constant acceleration), you wouldn't weigh anything. I do hope you're just trolling here...
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »
trolling

Doesn't understand buoyancy? Either trolling, or too stupid to be worth talking to, save yourself the headache friend.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
Spend countless hours
[/quote]

So, what your experiment told you is that when your body is denser (because your lungs are collapsed and your chest cavity is smaller) - you sink, and when your body is less dense (because your chest cavity is fully expanded) - you float.

What causes this effect if not gravity?

Gravity certainly fully explains it:  The human body has a density very close to water (especially salty water)...so we're right on the edge of floating or sinking - and the small difference between inflated and uninflated lungs is enough to make the difference.

This result would be the same whether the Earth was flat (and accelerating upwards at 9.8 m/s/s) or Round (with gravity).
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?