Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
Re: How GPS Works and what about 64 satellites claimed by NASA
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »
What personal evidence do you have that GPS works in the middle of oceans?
Ships use gps.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

totallackey

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »
Ships use gps.
So you have captained a ship using GPS in the middle of an ocean?

Could you please write more about it?

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 01:46:27 PM »
Ships use gps.

I haven't personally captained a ship (though I have a smaller boat of my own) but it's not important that I haven't. Just like how it's not important you haven't gone to Antarctica to see the 'ice wall' for yourself to believe it's a thing that exists. It's quite common knowledge I think. Here's the first article about it from a google search.

https://www.gps.gov/applications/marine/

You can also find information about gps coverage if you look hard enough.

totallackey

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »
Ships use gps.

I haven't personally captained a ship (though I have a smaller boat of my own) but it's not important that I haven't. Just like how it's not important you haven't gone to Antarctica to see the 'ice wall' for yourself to believe it's a thing that exists. It's quite common knowledge I think. Here's the first article about it from a google search.

So the extent of your personal experience with GPS is reading about the subject?

Nothing in the middle of the ocean?

Any personal use on land then?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »
Lackey, while personal experience is obviously a good basis for belief, it is not the only basis.
I have never been to Australia, but I believe that kangaroos live there.

Oasis of the Seas have introduced GPS tracking for parents to help find their children on board

https://www.intasure.com/blog/travel/cruise_ship_introduces_gps_tracking.asp
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:58:31 PM by AllAroundTheWorld »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 02:03:25 PM »
Ships use gps.

So the extent of your personal experience with GPS is reading about the subject?

Have you had personal experience of being incapable of using gps in the middle of an ocean as the captain of a ship? If you're asking have I been on a boat and been able to use gps then yes I have, but only around English channel and once off the coast from Western Sahara, but I have only been 'captain' of some of those in the English channel, all private boats. GPS is still used by larger ships though, ask any captain of some of those larger ships that go a bit further out to sea. I'll eat my own hat if there is some kind of conspiracy about gps. It works. Lives depend on it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:05:48 PM by ChrisTP »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 04:01:24 PM »
Article about GPS use at sea
http://www.sailtrain.co.uk/gps/index.htm
On one cruise I was on they said that for now they still have to use paper charts as a backup but if I remember right that said that was changing as it was getting so reliable they didn't need to and could rely on GPS exclusively.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

totallackey

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 04:16:09 PM »
Ships use gps.

Have you had personal experience of being incapable of using gps in the middle of an ocean as the captain of a ship? If you're asking have I been on a boat and been able to use gps then yes I have, but only around English channel and once off the coast from Western Sahara, but I have only been 'captain' of some of those in the English channel, all private boats. GPS is still used by larger ships though, ask any captain of some of those larger ships that go a bit further out to sea. I'll eat my own hat if there is some kind of conspiracy about gps. It works. Lives depend on it.
I have wrote about the the extent of my personal experience using GPS in this thread.

I didn't bring up the words "middle of the ocean."

inquisitive offered that tidbit.

I replied directly to him.

You chose to reply to me.

No one here can offer any personal experience about using GPS in the "middle of the ocean."

Lives don't depend on the use of GPS while sailing the oceans.

The entire context and purpose of using the words," middle of the ocean," is to paint a picture that GPS encompasses the mythical globe and can operate even in the most remote areas of the mythical globe.

One issue with this is the laughable idea that ships are operating willy-nilly across the Seven Seas.

Reality is, they are not.

Ships are traveling the same time worn routes they have taken for hundreds of years, with few exceptions.

My experience is this: My GPS connectivity on strictly GPS devices and my cell phone is lost when I also lose cell phone signal and access to the internet.

No one can dispute that.

It is highly likely that GPS is more related to signal transmitters on the flat earth plane than anything in the aether above our heads.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:39:56 PM by totallackey »

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »
Ships use gps.

I have wrote about the the extent of my personal experience using GPS in this thread.

No one here can offer any personal experience about using GPS in the "middle of the ocean."

The entire context and purpose of using the words," middle of the ocean," is to paint a picture that GPS encompasses the mythical globe and can operate even in the most remote areas of the mythical globe.

One issue with this is the laughable idea that ships are operating willy-nilly across the Seven Seas.

Ships are traveling the same time worn routes they have taken for hundreds of years, with few exceptions.

My experience is this: My GPS connectivity on strictly GPS devices and my cell phone is lost when I also lose cell phone signal and access to the internet.

No one can dispute that.

It is highly likely that GPS is more related to signal transmitters on the flat earth plane than anything in the aether above our heads.
Whatever you think and claim to experience is totally different to the millions that use GPS systems.  If you are so sure it uses ground based transmitters then how do you explain receivers showing the location of transmitters in orbit?  Please provide details of some transmitter locations, including Chinese and Russian ones in the USA.

I have used a GPS receiver while flying over an ocean, again showing about 20 transmitters.

totallackey

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
Ships use gps.

No one can dispute that.

Whatever you think and claim to experience is totally different to the millions that use GPS systems.  If you are so sure it uses ground based transmitters then how do you explain receivers showing the location of transmitters in orbit?  Please provide details of some transmitter locations, including Chinese and Russian ones in the USA.

I have used a GPS receiver while flying over an ocean, again showing about 20 transmitters.
I have offered first hand experience regarding the use of strict GPS devices and Google Maps for Android devices here in this thread.

I have written about my experience with both types of devices, stating clearly that GPS devices and cellphones experience signal degradation and total signal loss in the same areas while I am using them.

These are not thoughts on the matter.

These are statements of facts about the matter.

It would seem to me you are in a better position to provide the details of the transmitter locations...

You claim right here to have seen them.

Next time you see them, take a pic and post them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:41:31 PM by totallackey »

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »
{starting again to reduce length}

At times you be may only be in range of one cellphone base station.  For a location and altitude system you need to be in range of at least 4 transmitters.

I have poor cellphone coverage but receive from 20 GPNSS transmitters from 4 systems.  How do you explain that?

Please tell us how many transmitters your GPS receiver typically shows when you are outdoors.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:33:59 PM by inquisitive »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2020, 07:50:45 PM »
So you verified that they were satellites because "the documentation confirms it"? Meaning, that you didn't really verify it at all and just read it somewhere?

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2020, 08:02:40 PM »
So you verified that they were satellites because "the documentation confirms it"? Meaning, that you didn't really verify it at all and just read it somewhere?
How would you propose we should determine the operation of GPNSS systems?  Verified by NMEA data from receivers and published documentation.

We know they work and there is no indication that they use ground based transmitters because of receiving in valleys, centre of oceans etc.  In a similar subject can you explain how satellite tv works, you have been asked many times?

You are the person who relies on reading a book written many years ago!

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2020, 10:51:18 PM »
Have you verified they are anything other than satellites and could you explain how you went about that?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2020, 12:36:02 AM »

I have offered first hand experience regarding the use of strict GPS devices and Google Maps for Android devices here in this thread.

I have written about my experience with both types of devices, stating clearly that GPS devices and cellphones experience signal degradation and total signal loss in the same areas while I am using them.

These are not thoughts on the matter.

These are statements of facts about the matter.

It would seem to me you are in a better position to provide the details of the transmitter locations...

You claim right here to have seen them.

Next time you see them, take a pic and post them.

A quick story: Back in 2013 my now wife was crew on a 42' sailing vessel. They sailed from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta. Then from there, across the Pacific to Tahiti, about a 30 day crossing. She said for about 25 of those days they didn't see another vessel nor any land. From there, retracing their route, then headed north to Hawaii, then back to SF. They navigated via GPS and had a Sat phone for consulting with a land-based Weather service.

On a flat earth or round earth model, the southern Pacific is vast. They were able to navigate with modern technology amid that vast emptiness. No land-based transmitters anywhere because there is no land out there.

So maybe more likely some mid-Southern Pacific pics of GPS/Sat Phone transmitters somehow stuck out in the ocean would be more appropriate to be provided. To my knowledge, no one has ever seen one.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »
After researching and listening carefully to each comment and reply I found something interested which is very possible in my knowledge and experience:

If there is satellites and providing each smartphone signal for GPS why they dont use direct calling service? Why we need to install signal towers in every 1 kilometer of city/town?

Then I found my answer these signal towers are only satellites those are getting our location like how far you are from tower and in which direction and these signal towers are benchmarks of any area I have attached image to clear my picture how I see things. (Ignore its funny look becoz I created in MS Paint)

totallackey

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 04:17:32 PM »
After researching and listening carefully to each comment and reply I found something interested which is very possible in my knowledge and experience:

If there is satellites and providing each smartphone signal for GPS why they dont use direct calling service? Why we need to install signal towers in every 1 kilometer of city/town?

Then I found my answer these signal towers are only satellites those are getting our location like how far you are from tower and in which direction and these signal towers are benchmarks of any area I have attached image to clear my picture how I see things. (Ignore its funny look becoz I created in MS Paint)
Hey, would you please clarify what you are offering in this particular post?

Offline iCare

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »

GPS satellites provide a relatively 'weak' 'low bandwidth' 'unidirectional' signal.
This is sufficient for positioning purposes, but not for (data intensive, bidirectional) voice or data services.
It is, of course, possible to provide data/voice via satellite (see cruise ships), but the antenna/power requirements/price simply don't fit consumer phones.
Longer distance => more power, less bandwidth, more expensive => "signal towers in every 1 kilometer" are more efficient than satellites

You found an answer - unfortunately it is a wrong one.
GPS is independent of cell towers. GPS has been in place and working long before cell towers were able to provide adequate positioning services for end users.
These days mobile phones will draw on all available data (cell tower id, visible WLAN, GPS, ...; search for "Assisted GPS" or "Augmented GPS") to get your location. This will enhance accuracy and speed of detecting your location, but it they remain different systems/methods.
A signal tower doesn't really care, how far away you are. Your cell phone will determine which available signal tower provides the best service and use it (that's how an IMSI-Catcher works - be more "attractive" and guys will pick you over others ;-) ) - this is not about position (GPS) but signal strength/quality.

iC
"I'm sorry, if you were right, I would agree with you."
Robin Williams as Dr. Sayer in "Awakenings" (1990)

Offline iCare

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 12:26:58 PM »
My commutes take place on county roads, city streets, state and US highways and Interstates.

My commutes requiring the use of Google Maps and Garmin and TomTom involve an automobile.

These days it's sometimes difficult to differentiate between different "methods", in this case "GPS" and "mobile data".
Modern devices, esp. smartphones, will draw on any available data for positioning.
As you don't go into any detail of your setup, this doesn't prove/disprove anything.

Why would your commute require "Google Maps and Garmin and TomTom", if that's what you meant?
Either one should - if used correctly - be sufficient.

My personal experience with several devices (some of them pure GPS devices) is, that they work globally - even with no data service.

iC
"I'm sorry, if you were right, I would agree with you."
Robin Williams as Dr. Sayer in "Awakenings" (1990)

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2020, 02:21:26 PM »

Well, not every smartphone has a GPS sensor.

Are you asking why calls are not routed through the GPS satellites? Because A - the GPS satellites work one way. They broadcast downward to receivers on the ground or otherwise below them. They are not receivers. and B - the small amount of GPS satellites would not have the bandwidth to cope with all the calls, even if they could receive.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?