Thork

Help Thork waste his money
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
Ok, so I have a bit of cash lying around and the bank is giving me 0%. Th*rk the bank!  >o<

I've decided to buy some shares with it. So, what's hot?

I'm not loving air travel.
Pharmaceutical is kind of at the top already.
Big things like Amazon, Ebay, Google, Apple are as high as I see them going.
Bit scared of high street banks at the moment. They aren't lending.
Don't fancy metals.
Not loving energy.
Automotive is a disaster.

So, I'm thinking Microsoft. Windows phone will be successful. I think they might get Windows 9 right. I'm not convinced about the whole cloud OS thing they have got in mind, but the integration to phones and tablets looks good. Its just I see the price going up, but not a huge amount.

Anyone know any cool companies that have started making something awesome?

*I don't want bitcoins.  >:(

Ghost of V

Re: Help Thork waste his money
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
Invest in bitcoin, man. It's the future.

* oops.

At least I was nb4 rushy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »
Solar Freakin Roadways.

Thork

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
Solar Freakin Roadways.
Would love to if I thought there was a hope in hell of them being successful. But I don't see it.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:53:21 PM »
Be an ethical investor and invest in the things you want to succeed.

Or be a greedy investor and invest in guns and land mine companies.

There are probably long term savings accounts that you can get as well. Bit boring though huh.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
Why do you hate energy? It's always going to go up.

Whenever I've been unsure, I typically go for a mutual fund, I prefer ethical funds, and I've typically gotten over 4%.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
Or be a greedy investor and invest in guns and land mine companies.
I did look at Monsanto. Its as expensive as its ever been.

Why do you hate energy? It's always going to go up.
It will likely go up a few percent every year. I want 10% cos I'm greedy.

Make me rich FES.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
Perhaps invest in space? I don't think Space X is public yet, but some suppliers for Space X probably are.

Ghost of V

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:52:39 PM »
Have you ever considered drug dealing? I heard you can make a killing by buying low and selling high to kids.

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »
Have you ever considered drug dealing? I heard you can make a killing by buying low and selling high to kids.

Never sell high, that's the #1 way to not make money dealing drugs, always be sober when in possession of drugs you intend to sell.

Source: Requiem for a Dream

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 11:00:04 PM »
lol 10%

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 11:14:34 PM »
VTSMX

Very low fees.  It's the only security worth owning for someone in your position.  It's extremely unlikely that you are going to be better at pricing a security for an individual firm than the market will be, and you're even less likely to correctly predict what will be "hot" in the future.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »
So, I'm thinking Microsoft. Windows phone will be successful.
No, it won't.  Their new CEO is taking things a completely different (see:wrong) direction.  Especially after his proclamation that Microsoft is going to be a productivity company.  Back to the ways of the stuffy, boring MS of the 90's.

Oddly enough, and I am not kidding, check out Blackberry.  Yes, it seems like a train wreck, but they are doing something and are cheap right now.  They're up from $8USD/share to $12USD/share in the past month and have shown some promising growth.  Plus, you won't lose much if it turns out to be a fluke.

Ghost of V

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
I would have to agree with Junker on this one. Do not invest in Microsoft. Their company is going down the hole, and Windoze phones will most likely never become a widespread thing. Their new console is also pretty much failing or will fail at the end of this generation. Investing in Microsoft is a huge risk, and would not be worth it IMO.

Thork

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
Perhaps invest in space? I don't think Space X is public yet, but some suppliers for Space X probably are.
You know Space X is a space hoax outfit? I mean, it really is. I'm not kidding. It gets funding from government, and uses that to pay wages. Its like a charity. a non-profit business. Where the 'scientists' - read shysters, get a large wage and are never accountable for not delivering space transport. You can't invest in a non-profit company.

Oddly enough, and I am not kidding, check out Blackberry.  Yes, it seems like a train wreck, but they are doing something and are cheap right now.  They're up from $8USD/share to $12USD/share in the past month and have shown some promising growth.  Plus, you won't lose much if it turns out to be a fluke.
Not even Africans want Blackberry. The perceived value is because they have a very low cost phone. But its total junk and even the 3rd world knows it. Blackberry will fold. then I could lose all my money!  :o

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 12:30:53 AM »
You know Space X is a space hoax outfit? I mean, it really is. I'm not kidding. It gets funding from government, and uses that to pay wages. Its like a charity. a non-profit business. Where the 'scientists' - read shysters, get a large wage and are never accountable for not delivering space transport. You can't invest in a non-profit company.
Actually, you can't invest in SpaceX because it's a private company. 

On the other hand, Apple is another story.  Since they did the 5 for 1 split, the stock is (more or less) affordable again.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:33:26 AM by markjo »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 01:01:20 AM »
Spend it all on crack and whores.
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 01:17:10 AM »
Not even Africans want Blackberry. The perceived value is because they have a very low cost phone. But its total junk and even the 3rd world knows it. Blackberry will fold. then I could lose all my money!  :o

You realize they have a 6 billion dollar market cap, right?  They aren't going anywhere.  You know what, nevermind, invest in whatever you want.  I don't think you actually came here looking for reasonable advice.  You wanted to toss out a ridiculous idea like Microsoft and then argue any suggestions people put forward.  Have fun with that.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 01:30:38 AM »
You can always give your money to me.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 02:00:08 AM »
You can always give your money to me.

roos-roos and the bae giv you honey dolla lapdance 4 cash dolla dolla.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.