Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »
I just prefer to think of it as an alternative universe Batman.
I just prefer to think of every superhero movie ever made to be an alternate universe since filmmakers hardly ever follow canon.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Rama Set

« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
Personally, I'm more interested in Gotham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_(TV_series)

This will brutalize Batman lore even more than the Burton-Schumacher tag team did.

I think Superman would just instantly kill Batman. Batman is just a guy in a suit who can do karate and stuff.

Superman doesn't kill. You are out of your depth.

This Superman apparently does.

This Superman killed once.  The no-killing rule had to have a genesis and the killing of Zod in "Man of Steel" was just that... I hope.... If the writer's are any good.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »
This Superman killed once.  The no-killing rule had to have a genesis and the killing of Zod in "Man of Steel" was just that... I hope.... If the writers are any good.

Fix'd for Thorkiness, and Superman hadn't demonstrated any particular reluctance to kill before Zod, which is why that big dramatic yell of anguish made no sense.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:56 PM »
This Superman killed once.  The no-killing rule had to have a genesis and the killing of Zod in "Man of Steel" was just that... I hope.... If the writers are any good.

Fix'd for Thorkiness, and Superman hadn't demonstrated any particular reluctance to kill before Zod, which is why that big dramatic yell of anguish made no sense.
The odd thing about that scene is that it looked like superman had several options.  The family could run, he could put his hand in front of Zod's face, turn Zod's neck another direction, laser eye the wall behind the people and let them escape, or stomp his foot so hard that they'd both fall down into the basement.

Or fly up.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:22:26 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
His name is Zod.  Anyway, yes, the film was poorly directed as well as poorly written.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »
His name is Zod.  Anyway, yes, the film was poorly directed as well as poorly written.

God Damn auto-correct!
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »
Kneel before Zoe!
KNEEEEEEL!
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2014, 02:38:18 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/03/henry-cavill-batman-superman-movie-first-look/11310229/

Man of Steel was all about Superman finding his place in the world as both a hero and as a man

No, half of the movie was about that.  The other half was one big long nonsensical action scene.  Also:

The director can't say exactly how the relationship between the two superheroes evolves, "but suffice it to say there is a 'v' in between their names" in the movie title, Snyder says. He explains that having the "v" instead of "vs." is a way "to keep it from being a straight 'versus' movie, even in the most subtle way."

What?  That doesn't make any sense.  "v" means "versus" just as much as "vs." does.  In fact, the only real distinction between them is that "v" is used for court cases, which is precisely why everyone is making fun of it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:23 AM »
Any confidence I had in Snyder (none) has been crushed after that "v" comment.

« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2014, 03:07:44 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/07/03/henry-cavill-batman-superman-movie-first-look/11310229/

Man of Steel was all about Superman finding his place in the world as both a hero and as a man

No, half of the movie was about that.  The other half was one big long nonsensical action scene.  Also:

The director can't say exactly how the relationship between the two superheroes evolves, "but suffice it to say there is a 'v' in between their names" in the movie title, Snyder says. He explains that having the "v" instead of "vs." is a way "to keep it from being a straight 'versus' movie, even in the most subtle way."

What?  That doesn't make any sense.  "v" means "versus" just as much as "vs." does.  In fact, the only real distinction between them is that "v" is used for court cases, which is precisely why everyone is making fun of it.

Have you considered that Snyder is just too smart for you Saddam?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2014, 03:11:11 AM »

So basically the "v" comment didn't affect your confidence in him at all, it is a non-issue?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2014, 03:12:22 AM »

So basically the "v" comment didn't affect your confidence in him at all, it is a non-issue?

Yeah. Pretty much.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2014, 01:53:42 AM »

His butt chin is going to be so distracting...

« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2014, 12:59:02 AM »

Maybe Bruce Wayne will sue Superman for the destruction of Metropolis?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2014, 10:12:55 PM »

I've been remaining cautiously optimistic, but I don't like this...she looks so scrawny. Which is fine for her, but Wonder Woman generally looks pretty "big", she looks imposing and tough. Gal Gadot looks like generic prettygirl. :/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:52:11 PM by Snupes »

Ghost of V

« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »
My god, that image is way too large.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:07 PM »
I think Wonder Woman is generally portrayed as having fairly broad shoulders and slightly muscular arms in the comics, while in cartoon shows and films maybe less so. Perhaps they were afraid that a fit/muscular actress wouldn't be attractive enough..
Is this picture official, btw?
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
They already have female Thor so Wonder Woman doesn't need to be super-buff. Besides, I don't think there should be any female superheroes because in real life they would be too whiny/bitchy to do anything spectacular other than please men (when we're not busy gaming) and make food for us.