Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Research
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 05:27:35 PM »
I disagree with both of these assessments. There is a *loud* group of right-wing religious FE'ers, and it gets a lot of attention from the media, but it's not as large as it looks.

I'd say we're about as diverse as any other group, both religiously and politically.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »
I'd say we're about as diverse as any other group, both religiously and politically.
This of course could be true, but are you basing this on anything other than your own impressions?

I have no idea about a religious belief correlating with FE views, but it seems reasonable that other non-standard views on issues such as
climate change, COVID, COVID vaccinates, the 2020 election, evolution, vast hidden technologies, etc.  might correlate with FE views.  FEers have brainwashed themselves so it seems reasonable to me that those same mental process would be in play for other areas.  It also seems clear that FEers revel in the notion that they are "free thinkers" (despite in my view the opposite being the case) and it is much easier to assign yourself such a badge if the result is a change in thinking as opposed to "I as a free thinker examined the evidence and came to the conclusion that the standard model was correct".  So while I expect that there is such a correlation, I have no evidence one way or the other.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 07:29:39 PM by ichoosereality »
The contents of the GPS NAV message is the time of transmission and the orbital location of the transmitter at that time. If the transmitters are not where they claim to be GPS would not work.  Since it does work the transmitters must in fact be in orbit, which means the earth is round.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 09:16:46 PM »
You could replace FE with RE in your post and it would hold the same value…

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
You could replace FE with RE in your post and it would hold the same value…
Clearly not.  There is no badge (as false as it might be) of "I am a free thinker" self-applied for agreeing with the standard model so that is a clear asymmetry.

The notion that if you consider one thing from the std or alternative side true you might be inclined to do so for others from that side as well, that works both ways.  But even with that things are not symmetrical.  You have to go out of your way to accept an alternative view.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 01:31:14 AM by ichoosereality »
The contents of the GPS NAV message is the time of transmission and the orbital location of the transmitter at that time. If the transmitters are not where they claim to be GPS would not work.  Since it does work the transmitters must in fact be in orbit, which means the earth is round.

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2022, 12:31:40 AM »
You raise a good point Iceman but humour me,  I know some stuff from various bloggers and YouTubers who have put their theories out there.  what I am interested in is the nuts and bolts of the FE movement.  I myself see it as a faith, no more or less valuable than Christianity, Islam, Wicca or any of the offshoots of these faiths.

So tell me, Iceman, what do you believe?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2022, 09:04:50 AM »
...various bloggers and YouTubers who have put their theories out there.

Who are the YouTubers to whom you refer ?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2022, 09:19:50 AM »
Who are the YouTubers to whom you refer ?

Okay, so there are a couple; level earth observer,  Phuket Word and so on.
I tend to watch the Sci Man Dan channel as well on the debunking side.

As I have said previously I don't necessarily agree with my FE friends, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't fight for their right to be wrong.
What do you believe Tumeni, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2022, 12:20:12 PM »
What do you believe Tumeni, if you don't mind my asking?

It's in the signature line of my posts.
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2022, 12:56:06 PM »
This of course could be true, but are you basing this on anything other than your own impressions?
Yes.

Clearly not.  There is no badge (as false as it might be) of "I am a free thinker" self-applied for agreeing with the standard model so that is a clear asymmetry.
Of course there is. The insufferable RE nerds usually use the badge of "skepticism" and applying it to unquestioning belief in the establishment.

FEers have brainwashed themselves
[...]
It also seems clear that FEers revel in the notion that they are "free thinkers" (despite in my view the opposite being the case)
If you cannot engage with this forum like an adult, do not engage with it at all.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 12:59:29 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume