Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #920 on: November 09, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »
Interstellar (Christopher Nolan)

This was an incredible film experience, and I loved it. I will try to write a lot more about it soon when I have time.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 09, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »
Interstellar (Christopher Nolan)

This was an incredible film experience, and I loved it. I will try to write a lot more about it soon when I have time.

fghugghgghh I think it might be my all-time favourite movie, I loved the shit out of it and ajlgug

The visuals were incredible, the realistic rendering of wormholes and black holes and the "fourth dimension" insofar as humans can understand it was aghahg and the music was simply amazing and gorgeous and the whole movie was gorgeous and I love this movie i want to see it againann
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #922 on: November 09, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »
I saw Interstellar and thought it was god awful. Am I missing something? Sorry Nolan, but you're not Stanely Kubrick.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 09, 2014, 10:30:34 PM »
Vauxhall: Nope, people just have opinions.

Anyway, more rambling time now that I'm feeling slightly more coherent:

Interstellar. Wow. I think that may be the greatest film I've ever seen, for me. It was gorgeous on every single level...visually, aurally, even in the story... The realistic renderings of wormholes, black holes, the "fourth dimension" and tesseracts...God damn, just...as someone who loves science, particularly physics and space, to death...this film is the crowning moment of sci-fi, I think. It's a science fiction film that really, *genuinely* LOVES science and it shows. No half-assed special effects just to have big explosions and crap, no, this film is gorgeous because of its realism. I don't think people really *grasp* how *gorgeous* and amazing space is. We're fed this halfhearted crap by sci-fi films that we just take for granted now, but this film goes the whole damn mile to show you exactly what space is, how grand and expansive and unimaginably beyond imagination it is. When they're going through that wormhole...something we've seen in dozens of films, but when they're doing it here and it's modeled by a real physicist, rendered for hundreds of hours with complex algorithms to make sure it's accurate...it's beyond anything I've ever seen before.

And the music...and the absolute lack of it at times... I could go on for hours. It's absolutely beautiful. Minimal when it needs to be, and extremely loud and shrill when the film would benefit most...then dead silent in the vast expanse of space. It's chilling.

Then, finally, the story. I don't want to spoil anything, but god. I'll be the first to admit that the film forgoes realism at various points for the sake of film, and that it even veers into hypothetical—or sheerly tangential—territory at times, it's all worth it. This movie, man...this movie.  I haven't cried at a movie in a good while, but this one made me cry two and a half times. Once sort of early on I cried from Matthew McConaughey's amazing performance, then I teared up later on. Then afterwards, as I left the theater, I just started crying again...partly because it was just so amazing to me, but also because it got me thinking about the world so much.

Everyone should have to see this. THIS is the amazing, *real* stuff we're missing out on when we cut NASA funding because it's "not important". Not important? Do you forget who we are? Like they say in the film, humans are explorers, it's in us, our fate is not to die on this planet, it's to go beyond and yet we're letting ourselves be held back because people are so obsessed with the goddamn materialism and petty squabbles and attachments here. We're so short-sighted that we think it's better to pollute the hell out of this planet and then dismiss any solutions as "not worth it", or "too costly" or "unnecessary". Honestly, after this film...that line of thinking really disgusts me. It's actually really, really saddening...I want to see space, other planets, new discoveries and exploration. I don't want humanity to doom itself to a pathetic life of bitching between vaguely-different political parties or stupid fights about how people shouldn't be equal because everyone's so damn scared of change. I don't want humanity to have this amazing start where we colonized an entire planet, scraped the edge of space by sending men to the Goddamn *moon*, only to flicker out and die because we were too short-sighted, selfish and obsessed with immediate gain to continue our legacy. It's legitimately hard not to cry about, just looking up into the sky and knowing that we should be up there, we should be doing everything in our power to be among the fucking stars and just doing things we'd have never imagined possible before. I want that more than anything. I think this film, more than anything, has solidified my desire to get into science, to be a physicist. Hopefully I have the drive to do it. But, above all, I really hope more people see this movie and open their eyes to what we should be doing.

Our destiny is not on this planet. Earth should really just be our stepping stone to greater things. Our destiny is out there.

« Reply #924 on: November 10, 2014, 12:20:32 AM »
But the film wasn't terribly realistic. I've also seen criticism of the script, and heavy handed nature of the story telling. By all accounts, it's not even Nolan's best film, let alone the best film ever. Although I'm yet to see it, I have been interested in hunting down more critical opinions since gushing reviews are bloody useless.

Just about the only thing I've seen everyone agree on is McConaughey's performance.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:22:16 AM by Vindictus »

Ghost of V

« Reply #925 on: November 10, 2014, 12:42:27 AM »
But the film wasn't terribly realistic. I've also seen criticism of the script, and heavy handed nature of the story telling. By all accounts, it's not even Nolan's best film, let alone the best film ever. Although I'm yet to see it, I have been interested in hunting down more critical opinions since gushing reviews are bloody useless.

Just about the only thing I've seen everyone agree on is McConaughey's performance.

Sci-fi is never realistic. Sounds like they're trying to poke holes in the film by nitpicking.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 10, 2014, 12:53:54 AM »

Okay...? I'm not trying to convince anyone it's great so your words are kinda wasted on me, I don't really judge whether it was one of his "best films" based on what other people say. I think it's easily his best. Also, it's pretty damn realistic as far as sci-fi goes.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 10, 2014, 01:00:51 AM »
Was gonna see Interstellar but decided on Nightcrawler because it seemed likemore fun. Going to see it in a bit.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Rama Set

« Reply #928 on: November 10, 2014, 01:04:44 AM »

Nit-picking plot holes is an ego exercise at best. Don't get me wrong, I do it; I did it with Interstellar even though I am pretty much in Snupes' camp. This movie had a giant heart to it, the plot was interesting and even somewhat relevant politically if you care about that sort of thing. It explored tough questions about parenthood, sacrifice, humanity  there was so much good in this movie, that taking the piss because they didn't accurately portray the energetically of a black hopes accretion disc is kind of petty. I think a lot of the science was good and Neil de Grasse Tyson agreed. But go see it for all the things Snupes talked about.  it is very worthy on all fronts.

I want to know how they did all the sets on Mann's planet. Awesome scenery.

Rama Set

« Reply #929 on: November 10, 2014, 01:05:21 AM »
Was gonna see Interstellar but decided on Nightcrawler because it seemed likemore fun. Going to see it in a bit.

Heard it was also awesome. Great time for movies, bad time to be a parent.

« Reply #930 on: November 10, 2014, 01:25:50 AM »

Okay...? I'm not trying to convince anyone it's great so your words are kinda wasted on me, I don't really judge whether it was one of his "best films" based on what other people say. I think it's easily his best. Also, it's pretty damn realistic as far as sci-fi goes.

Even better than TDK, and his earlier films?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 10, 2014, 01:42:06 AM »
Yeah.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 10, 2014, 02:00:39 AM »
Vauxhall: Nope, people just have opinions.

Anyway, more rambling time now that I'm feeling slightly more coherent:

Interstellar. Wow. I think that may be the greatest film I've ever seen, for me. It was gorgeous on every single level...visually, aurally, even in the story... The realistic renderings of wormholes, black holes, the "fourth dimension" and tesseracts...God damn, just...as someone who loves science, particularly physics and space, to death...this film is the crowning moment of sci-fi, I think. It's a science fiction film that really, *genuinely* LOVES science and it shows. No half-assed special effects just to have big explosions and crap, no, this film is gorgeous because of its realism. I don't think people really *grasp* how *gorgeous* and amazing space is. We're fed this halfhearted crap by sci-fi films that we just take for granted now, but this film goes the whole damn mile to show you exactly what space is, how grand and expansive and unimaginably beyond imagination it is. When they're going through that wormhole...something we've seen in dozens of films, but when they're doing it here and it's modeled by a real physicist, rendered for hundreds of hours with complex algorithms to make sure it's accurate...it's beyond anything I've ever seen before.

And the music...and the absolute lack of it at times... I could go on for hours. It's absolutely beautiful. Minimal when it needs to be, and extremely loud and shrill when the film would benefit most...then dead silent in the vast expanse of space. It's chilling.

Then, finally, the story. I don't want to spoil anything, but god. I'll be the first to admit that the film forgoes realism at various points for the sake of film, and that it even veers into hypothetical—or sheerly tangential—territory at times, it's all worth it. This movie, man...this movie.  I haven't cried at a movie in a good while, but this one made me cry two and a half times. Once sort of early on I cried from Matthew McConaughey's amazing performance, then I teared up later on. Then afterwards, as I left the theater, I just started crying again...partly because it was just so amazing to me, but also because it got me thinking about the world so much.

Everyone should have to see this. THIS is the amazing, *real* stuff we're missing out on when we cut NASA funding because it's "not important". Not important? Do you forget who we are? Like they say in the film, humans are explorers, it's in us, our fate is not to die on this planet, it's to go beyond and yet we're letting ourselves be held back because people are so obsessed with the goddamn materialism and petty squabbles and attachments here. We're so short-sighted that we think it's better to pollute the hell out of this planet and then dismiss any solutions as "not worth it", or "too costly" or "unnecessary". Honestly, after this film...that line of thinking really disgusts me. It's actually really, really saddening...I want to see space, other planets, new discoveries and exploration. I don't want humanity to doom itself to a pathetic life of bitching between vaguely-different political parties or stupid fights about how people shouldn't be equal because everyone's so damn scared of change. I don't want humanity to have this amazing start where we colonized an entire planet, scraped the edge of space by sending men to the Goddamn *moon*, only to flicker out and die because we were too short-sighted, selfish and obsessed with immediate gain to continue our legacy. It's legitimately hard not to cry about, just looking up into the sky and knowing that we should be up there, we should be doing everything in our power to be among the fucking stars and just doing things we'd have never imagined possible before. I want that more than anything. I think this film, more than anything, has solidified my desire to get into science, to be a physicist. Hopefully I have the drive to do it. But, above all, I really hope more people see this movie and open their eyes to what we should be doing.

Our destiny is not on this planet. Earth should really just be our stepping stone to greater things. Our destiny is out there.

omg I agree with all of this so much! It definitely my favorite of Nolan's films at this point.
I am going to see it again now

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 10, 2014, 03:30:05 AM »
Short Cuts (Robert Altman)

I don't even know what to say. I loved it. It sits along side Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia (a film it clearly inspired) and Todd Solondz's Happiness in breadth, humour, sadness and frankness, not to mention duration. If you like either of those films and you haven't seen this yet, you really owe it to yourself to check it out.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 10, 2014, 08:55:46 AM »
Watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on the weekend. Such a good film with one of the best casts I've ever seen; also, an absolutely perfect depiction of India and its culture.

I've been to that step-well in Jaipur, too. Amazing place.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 11, 2014, 03:31:42 AM »
The Player (Robert Altman)

More Altman, who I'm really starting to like as a director and want to explore more thoroughly ASAP. A totally different film to Short Cuts, The Player is a fairly easy going but effective satire of Hollywood, with plenty of laughs and some gripping scenes of suspense. Altman's directorial mastery is shown up front in the form of an almost ten minute long single take full of movement and featuring at least ten different conversations weaving in and out of each other. It's really well made stuff, and Tim Robbins gives a great performance as Griffin Mill, a petty and manipulative studio executive who starts receiving harassing postcards in the mail from an anonymous writer. Would make a great double feature preceding Neil LaBute's considerably tougher In the Company of Men.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 13, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
The Untouchables (1987)

Phenomenal. Extremely well written. Probably my favorite gangster movie. Capone's character was great.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

« Reply #937 on: November 14, 2014, 02:18:41 PM »
Watching JEREMY KYLE

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 15, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
Play Time (Jacques Tati)
Brilliantly orchestrated comedy from Tati, with so many sight gags, prat falls, and weird noises that after a while one becomes lost in a whirlwind of almost balletic humour. Unfortunately it starts to outstay its welcome for me after the first 60 minutes, and I found myself becoming restless in my seat waiting for it to finish. While it's good, it's great, but there is not enough to keep it interesting for its two hour runtime.

The Long Goodbye (Robert Altman)
Low key take on the Philip Marlowe character with Elliott Gould in a slick yet dishevelled, wisecracking and spaced-out lead performance that must surely have had some influence on late '90s neo-noir such as The Big Lebowski and Cowboy Bebop. It's always entertaining and always goes places you aren't expecting. Apart from that, watch out for Sterling Hayden giving a fantastic performance as a washed up Hemingway type who walks with the weight of heavy and dark secrets on his shoulders.

Ghost of V

« Reply #939 on: November 21, 2014, 06:03:34 PM »
Finished Stargate SG-1. And, damn, am I glad that's over. There are way too many things wrong with Season 10 to list them all.

One thing that bothered me specifically: The Asgard. They didn't get a proper send-off. "We're dying, here's our knowledge. I gotta go now." That was it. The Asgard are easily the coolest alien race in the Stargate series, and this was not the correct way to handle their entire race's extinction. Just stupid. The entire episode was just retarted. Everyone is stuck in a time dilation field, they all age about 60 years, and then at the very end of the episode they figure out how to make a reset button. And Vala and Daniel Jackson hook up (?!?!?!). Outrageous. I'm guessing they were expecting to make a Season 11 because this finale fucking sucked as a series ender.