Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Have some Antarctic Midnight Sun videos been faked?
« on: February 05, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »
I don't usually discuss matters of the South, as I typically support a Bi-Polar model to which an Antarctica exist in traditional dimensions and an Antarctic Midnight Sun is possible. The following has caught my eye, however. A popular video called "Frozen South: Antarctica 24 hour Sun 4K" by someone named Anthony Powell is widely circulated to 'debunk FE' and show that there is a perpetual Midnight Sun in the southern regions.

From the video description:

Quote from: Anthony Powell
In the summer time at Scott Base the sun is above the horizon for 4 months, from roughly the end of the third week of October until the end of the third week of February. This shows the movement of the sun over a full 24 hour period near the peak of summer.

Camera was set to take a photo once every one minute and one second (so that the second hand would be moving) should have made it 1min and 2 secs so the send hand would move faster than the minute hand in retrospect. ISO 100, 100th sec exposure. Lens was set on f22 to get enough depth of field to have the watch and horizon both in focus, hence the sun-ray effect. A modified Orion equatorial telescope mount was used to track the sun. Camera and tracking powered by solar panel and batteries.

The above seems to imply that a camera was set on a rotating tripod, following the Midnight Sun and filming it in a natural setting. How is it, then, that the word "North" appears to disappear behind a layer of the land in the foreground, and appear in front the clouds?

I took a screenshot at around the 0:56 mark and adjusted the contrast settings a bit, since some of it is white on white, and added some arrows:

To me this suggests that the material has been cut into multiple layers. A foreground layer containing the land, a text layer, and a cloud layer. Quite curious that someone would feel the need to go to lengths to do this, to cut out different layers of nature, and then state that it's just a camera spinning around; causing me to believe that this video is not a true representation.

Not only just someone, but someone who apparently works directly for a US base in Antarctica.

About Antarctic Film Maker Anthony Powell:

http://www.ballwatch.com/global/en/explorers_club/anthony-powell---70.html

Powell worked for many years as a Communications Tech for Telecom New Zealand, before picking up his first job in Antarctica as the Communications Tech for New Zealand's Scott Base in 1998. Since then he has continued to work at both Scott Base, and McMurdo Station, the US base run by the National Science Foundation.

This employee of the research base also directly taunts FE in the video description:

P.S. Flat Earth people, you are very entertaining with your comments. My challenge to you: put your money where your mouth is and book a cruise ship holiday to Antarctica below the Antarctic circle to prove the video wrong. I'll even reimburse the cost of your trip if you can prove the sun does not do this as shown in this video...  Edit: Years later, cue sound of crickets, despite 40,000 tourists and thousands of researchers and workers going to Antarctica every year, no one has taken me up on this offer.]P.S. Flat Earth people, you are very entertaining with your comments. My challenge to you: put your money where your mouth is and book a cruise ship holiday to Antarctica below the Antarctic circle to prove the video wrong. I'll even reimburse the cost of your trip if you can prove the sun does not do this as shown in this video...  Edit: Years later, cue sound of crickets, despite 40,000 tourists and thousands of researchers and workers going to Antarctica every year, no one has taken me up on this offer.

There are undoubtedly other Midnight Sun videos of better, more convincing quality. Whether the Midnight Sun is true or not, and I tend believe that it is is possibly is true per a bi-polar model, it is merely interesting that someone who works for a research base in Antarctica would go to lengths to do this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 02:15:36 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
Re: Have some Antarctic Midnight Sun videos been faked?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:18:57 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of modern video editing where you can mask out parts of words to make things look cool.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:10:15 PM »
Antarctic filmmaker Anthony Powell released another 24 hour sun timelapse from Antarctica:

Antarctica 24 Hour Sun

Video description:

During the Antarctic summer, the Sun never sets.
Time lapse from Anthony Powell's documentary "Antarctica: A Year on Ice".

See the start and end of the video at 0:20 and 1:20.

It is interesting that the same pattern of clouds in this "time lapse" appears 24 hours later in the sky after the camera allegedly went around 360 degrees.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:57:48 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 01:25:20 AM »
I could be wrong but it seems the footage is of one day and at the very end it has a slow fade transition back to the beginning of the video (so that it can be looped). it's still a full days rotation showing constant daytime for the 24 hours though. I bet the person who put the video up probably didn't think making it loop would make people shout fake, probably just thought it would be kinda cool. Since the position of the sun and the camera position match 24 hours later, a slow fade transition (a few seconds worth) would look almost seamless.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 02:12:28 AM »
It's a loop done for fun? Maybe you can point out the splice for us. I don't see it. Perhaps you should look up the definition of a time lapse. These were presented as nothing other than honest portrayals of a 24/7 sun, and instead we have edited footage with multiple layers, and footage which shows identical clouds.

It does not seem to be very fulfilling evidence if you have to admit that the footage was secretly and cunningly edited and spliced together, and must argue that any video editing fakery was done only in a way which favors your own position.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
For what purpose would anyone fake this?
Your page about the conspiracy says

"There is no Flat Earth Conspiracy. NASA is not hiding the shape of the earth from anyone. The purpose of NASA is not to 'hide the shape of the earth' or 'trick people into thinking it's round' or anything of the sort."

So what would the motive be for faking this?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
If there is no 24 hour sun in Antarctica it would be justified as assuming that there is an overlooked error in the model of refraction or the tilt of the earth, or the size of the earth, all while still maintaining that the earth is round. That is certainly the first thing someone would jump to, not a FE.

If it's faked it could be justified as simply because that's what the people expect to see, based on the model they have accepted for thousands of years, dismissing the truth as only a curiosity. It is with the same logic that they might make high altitude shots from the edge of space a little more curved than it actually is.

They know that the earth is round, and so they can take liberty with the materials to portray it as such. I believe there is a disclaimer in the NASA media that much of the material is based on composite data and is put together for visualization purposes. The same logic can be used with failures and discrepancies with Antarctica.

If circumnavigation is too tough, it can be attributed to weather conditions. If the sun is not behaving as it should, it can be attributed to a host of other reasons. I already know that anyone who has been invested in RE from the cradle is willing to say and do anything to maintain their model, even change the entire nature of space and time to explain the results of certain experiments. Denying unexpected results  is of little difference.

I don't really trust the government to be honest about its Antarctic science, as they have a space program to maintain, which has already claimed to verify the properties of our world. The technologies of the space program are used to maintain world peace though ICBMs and MAD, and so they are not particularly interested in revisiting the issue of basic earth science research.

Although I believe that the Bi-Polar model is more likely only because it harmonizes with what is claimed about the south, it is for the reason of trust that I can't dismiss the Monopole model out of hand. On Antarctica we are really relying on government honesty, that they are giving real people access to conduct real science.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:15:53 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline RoundLurker

• Lurking since early 2018.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 11:05:16 AM »

If circumnavigation is too tough, it can be attributed to weather conditions.

What about those times when circumnavigation is totally possible? 
https://www.yachtingworld.com/voyages/sailing-antarctica-record-breaking-voyage-around-southern-continent-123341

EDIT:  Apologies that's perhaps slightly off topic.
The person in my avatar does not exist, and that's unsettling.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 11:36:06 AM »

https://www.yachtingworld.com/voyages/sailing-antarctica-record-breaking-voyage-around-southern-continent-123341

According to that article they went below the 60th parallel.

According to the Antarctic Treaty you need stop get permission from the United Nations to travel below the 60th parallel. Otherwise you get arrested by a military:

Norwegian arrested after Antarctic voyage

Again, these yacht races which go around Antarctica come down to a matter of trust in government. The UN says who goes and who does not, the UN says what can and can't happen there, the UN controls it.

Are the claims even real at all? Could it be a publicity piece?

As those yachts don't even see the Antarctic coast, could the government be giving navigation instructions which sends people around an island?

Plenty of possibilities. The UN could internally justify the lockdown of everything below the 60th parallel as "based on the past difficulty the military has experienced down there we need to lock Antarctica down for safety reasons" and perhaps "We know people want to go around Antarctica to beat world record and such. However, we have lost ships there in the past, and so we are forced to make phoney world record claims for safety reasons for the public."

For such claims we are essentially trusting the governemnt on all matters, which is why the Monopole model persists.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:50:21 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline RoundLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »

According to that article they went below the 60th parallel.

According to the Antarctic Treaty you need stop get permission from the United Nations to travel below the 60th parallel. Otherwise you get arrested:

Norwegian arrested after Antarctic voyage

Again, these yacht races which go around Antarctica come down to a matter of trust in government.

Are the claims even real at all? Could it be a publicity piece?

As those yachts don't even see the Antarctic coast, could the government be giving navigation instructions which sends people around an island?

The governemnt could internally justify the lockdown of everything below the 60th parallel as "based on the past difficulty the military has experienced down there we need to lock Antarctica down for safety reasons."

Have you considered the circumference of the 60th parallel on a flat Earth versus a round Earth? On a round earth it would be something like 12,500 miles. On a flat earth I have idea, but vast. Inside the 60th parallel the disparity would be even more noticeable, right? Narrower on a RE, wider on a FE).  So the options are:

A) If government are giving false instructions the ship would be travelling a much greater distance than there on-paper route and not realising it. I don't buy that, personally.

B) The boat crew are in on it too. What's their motivation? Cash perhaps, but every single ship to (allegedly) circumnavigate the continent is also in on it? Seems at odds with the "There is no Flat Earth Conspiracy" narrative.

Which I suppose brings us back on topic, which is the motivation of all these people, working together to collectively deceive the public.  Or perhaps they're not.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 11:57:45 AM »
If the government has to give permission to go there, and controls access absolutely, the question comes up whether those people beating those world records even exist at all.

If the government thinks that Antarctica is too unsafe, but don't know exactly why it's unsafe, only that they have lost vessels like some sort of Bermuda triangle, and if they know that people will do anything in the face of danger, it stands that they could justify faking these records to deter people from trying this, completely for safety reasons.

Not everything would need to be related to a FE. There could be other reasons for fakery, if it is being faked.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:06:30 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline RoundLurker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 12:00:09 PM »
Not everything would need to be related to an FE.
But it does seem to be yet another conspiracy which conveniently supports your position.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
It's a loop done for fun? Maybe you can point out the splice for us. I don't see it. Perhaps you should look up the definition of a time lapse. These were presented as nothing other than honest portrayals of a 24/7 sun, and instead we have edited footage with multiple layers, and footage which shows identical clouds.

It does not seem to be very fulfilling evidence if you have to admit that the footage was secretly and cunningly edited and spliced together, and must argue that any video editing fakery was done only in a way which favors your own position.
I don't need to point it out at what times it transitions, you already did. I mentioned it was potentially a slow transition and not an immediate cut the start, and I'll say it again for your sake, with the sun and the camera positions being in the exact same position 24 hours later, a transition may be really hard to notice. If it was stormy on the first morning and not on the second then you may have seen the transition a bit better.

I don't need to look up a meaning of time lapse. They've got a 24 hour time lapse, which loops at the end back to the start. It's still showing 24 hours as a time lapse. It wasn't an "honest portrayal of a 24/7 sun" it was an honest portrayal of a 24/1 sun... Come on, read what you're writing.

The guy in the video doesn't seem to be presenting this as evidence for anything. He could well have uploaded a video of something not many people get to see. So yea, it's just a cool video with a bit of video editing. And the first video is simple video editing to put north, east, south and west in. It isn't hard to do, you don't need multiple layers of skies and mountains, you need to simply put the words in then mask out where the mountain is so it looks like it's sitting behind a mountain. Anyone with a computer can do this kind of editing. It doesn't mean the whole thing fake...

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
But it does seem to be yet another conspiracy which conveniently supports your position.
Tom does seem to have gone full "tin foil hat" on this one.
The Antarctic Treaty isn't what FE claim it is:
https://www.bas.ac.uk/about/antarctica/the-antarctic-treaty/the-antarctic-treaty-explained/
It does require "parties to give advance notice of their expedition" but it also "guarantees continued freedom to conduct scientific research"

If Tom is interested in finding out more, he could apply for a job there:
https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/jobs-in-antarctica/

Or just go there if he has the money. It's expensive but a bit of crowd-funding in the name of FE research could do it:
https://www.polar-quest.com/trips/antarctica/fly-to-the-south-pole-20192020
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline somerled

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 12:22:02 PM »
Tom , first time I've looked at the Bipolar model . Interesting stuff . If you look at this link re the Ross scientific expedition https://www.hakluyt.com/PDF/Campbell_Part1_Introduction.pdf        page 17  tells of astronomer royal
Edmond Halley and details his work trying explain the 4 known (and possibly several more) magnetic poles in relation to the globe . Is this relevant to the bi polar model ?

Might research this a bit more .

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 05:43:02 PM »

Or these could be entirely logical deductive actions.

At the beginning of the Antarctic Treaty if the UN gathered top military brass into a meeting and told them that they needed to make Antarctica a no-go zone for the public for whatever reason, does it not follow that there would be a concern that the world wants to go to the new frontier of Antarctica and that it's unworkable and undesirable to make Antarctica a mysterious blackhole of information and exploration? I think that concern would come up in the first ten minutes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:44:58 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 11:24:39 PM »
Tom , first time I've looked at the Bipolar model . Interesting stuff . If you look at this link re the Ross scientific expedition https://www.hakluyt.com/PDF/Campbell_Part1_Introduction.pdf        page 17  tells of astronomer royal
Edmond Halley and details his work trying explain the 4 known (and possibly several more) magnetic poles in relation to the globe . Is this relevant to the bi polar model ?

Might research this a bit more .

In that article I assume by pole he is referring to an area where the magnetic field lines become vertical.  I can see how that can happen. If you stick a bunch of magnets together it would create multiple areas where the field lines become vertical in relation to the magnet.

It would be interesting to see a map of where these poles are on the equator exactly. I can't say from the face of it that multiple poles would indicate any particular world model since the magnetic properties which exist below the surface is universally unknown, but could possibly have some geometric significance to a bi-polar model layout.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:44:16 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 12:18:48 AM »

Or these could be entirely logical deductive actions.

At the beginning of the Antarctic Treaty if the UN gathered top military brass into a meeting and told them that they needed to make Antarctica a no-go zone for the public for whatever reason, does it not follow that there would be a concern that the world wants to go to the new frontier of Antarctica and that it's unworkable and undesirable to make Antarctica a mysterious blackhole of information and exploration? I think that concern would come up in the first ten minutes.

Is that how the the Antarctic Treaty came to be, "...the UN gathered top military brass into a meeting and told them that they needed to make Antarctica a no-go zone for the public..."

Was it 'top military brass'? How do you know such things? Do tell.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 12:18:58 AM »

I tend to agree.

furthermore, based on the video below, a light source (such as the sun) can create

at the 6:07 mark

notice how the light source, the sun, is going through a refractive element (such as an atmosphere or dome) and it appears to be creating a ring of light which would encompass almost all of the perimeter?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 12:37:31 AM »

I tend to agree.

furthermore, based on the video below, a light source (such as the sun) can create

at the 6:07 mark

notice how the light source, the sun, is going through a refractive element (such as an atmosphere or dome) and it appears to be creating a ring of light which would encompass almost all of the perimeter?

The light source, a pen light, is going through a dense semi-dome paperweight. If the sun is a penlight and we live underneath a semi-dome dense paperweight, ok. Otherwise, I have no idea what this shows, conveys.