Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sid Meier's Civilization
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
The game isn't called 'country' it's called 'Civilisation'

Irrelevant. Each entity behaves exactly the same way a country would (at least human players do, for the most part, the AI is not a good example).

If you launch the spaceship first your civ becomes the first culture to become interplanetary, the genesis of a space-bound empire, every mission which follows will, in some respects, mirror your own. You set the pace.

This doesn't stop your country, yes country, from being annihilated.

In a cultural victory, it doesn't matter if your country is wiped from the planet, your culture has permeated or supplanted everyone else's, in some respects your civilisation will win even if the originator is gone.

So, in reality the Romans and Greeks are still winning?

The diplomatic victory has always suggested to me that the Earth has united under a one-world-government of some kind and your civilisation has produced its first leader, the one to unite the peoples of Earth. That's a victory.

Except in a diplomatic victory you earn those votes by literally paying off or rigging the elections of city-states. That's not a victory and is absolute nonsense.

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »
I always liked the option of having an economic victory in Alpha Centauri.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »
Irrelevant. Each entity behaves exactly the same way a country would (at least human players do, for the most part, the AI is not a good example).

That human players like yourself don't understand the basic premise of the game really isn't my problem.

This doesn't stop your country, yes country, from being annihilated.

Irrelevant. You don't run a country.

So, in reality the Romans and Greeks are still winning?

I'd say it's probably the Americans - culturally.

Except in a diplomatic victory you earn those votes by literally paying off or rigging the elections of city-states. That's not a victory and is absolute nonsense.

You can in Civ V, less in the others.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »
nig like ya'll playin. if ya'll manage to make yo virtues n culture n traditions a common o-curr-ance in othr civs, n so many dat its ALL de othr civs, ya'll you hav won, dawg. thy just u with an angrier face dawg. blue jeans, dawg, blue jeans.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »
That human players like yourself don't understand the basic premise of the game really isn't my problem.

Is this the part where you act like you're smarter but don't actually explain why? Sorry, only I can use that strategy.

Also, the premise of the game is to win. It just so happens the majority of the winning strategies don't make any real sense.

Irrelevant. You don't run a country.

Yes, you do.

I'd say it's probably the Americans - culturally.

So then killing a country means its accomplishments don't matter, glad we could get that sorted out.

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »
My Civ is broken and it made me cry, I thought I had got over it but this thread brought back all the nasty memories.

Thanks Flat Earth

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2014, 04:46:58 AM »
I'm installing Civ: Beyond Earth right now. I'll give you guys my impressions at a later date.

EDIT: My first impression is that the initial conditions are quite variable, but the game itself seems simpler than previous versions. Definitely not a worthy successor to Alpha Centauri, but it's still quite fun.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:53:42 PM by EnigmaZV »

Thork

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
I watched some videos of it on youtube to see how excited I was. I couldn't give a shit. I just couldn't. Without the suspension of reality that its my little kingdom and I'm running it, its a bit dull. Aliens, technologies I have never heard of ... I find it a bit hard to care.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
Why is playing as an immortal god-king running a static, monolithic kingdom on a fictional planet with spacemen rubbing shoulders with ye olde knights any less believable than the same thing on an alien planet? Alpha Centauri arguably competes for the best of the Civilisation titles.

I suspect there's something else putting you off than its sci-fi flavouring.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
Why is playing as an immortal god-king running a static, monolithic kingdom on a fictional planet with spacemen rubbing shoulders with ye olde knights any less believable than the same thing on an alien planet?

I'd say that Alpha Centauri and Beyond Earth are much more believable than any other Civ game. All of the "historical" elements are just silly.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Thork

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
Why is playing as an immortal god-king running a static, monolithic kingdom on a fictional planet with spacemen rubbing shoulders with ye olde knights any less believable than the same thing on an alien planet? Alpha Centauri arguably competes for the best of the Civilisation titles.

I don't know. It just didn't capture my imagination. With regular Civ I guess when you start playing you want to see what all the wonders are, the units, the leaders, etc etc. You won't get that with the sci-fi ones. The units, leaders, etc aren't based on anything real at all. So I think I'm not interested in the learning aspect because I don't find it particularly engaging. And If I can't be bothered to learn it, I'm never going to be good at it and I'm not going to keep coming back.

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
I like the technology web. I hope they carry that forward to future Civ games.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
By the way, in a recent AMA some Beyond Earth devs said their favorite modern 4x series besides their own was the Endless series.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:53 AM »

I don't know. It just didn't capture my imagination. With regular Civ I guess when you start playing you want to see what all the wonders are, the units, the leaders, etc etc. You won't get that with the sci-fi ones. The units, leaders, etc aren't based on anything real at all. So I think I'm not interested in the learning aspect because I don't find it particularly engaging. And If I can't be bothered to learn it, I'm never going to be good at it and I'm not going to keep coming back.

Each to their own. One of the things which drew me into AC was the videos explaining what all the new sick and twisted technology you were inventing did

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
Yes, that was wonderful!

It doesn't happen in this game.