pilotradio

I do not believe the Earth is flat as I have seen it curve during flight. I also have evidence of round earth due to HF having increased range as compared to UHV or VHF. I don't mean to be offensive, but am wondering why you guys believe what you do.  :)

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
Re: I am a Pilot and an FCC licenced radio technician: Ask me anything!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 11:23:15 PM »
I do not believe the Earth is flat as I have seen it curve during flight. I also have evidence of round earth due to HF having increased range as compared to UHV or VHF. I don't mean to be offensive, but am wondering why you guys believe what you do.  :)

May I ask you, how high have you flown? Typical airliners fly up to roughly 40k feet, correct?

I am a RE er and I can say that at that height, you cannot see the earth curve. You can see a round horizon, but that is really just a perspective effect, not a spherical arc.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:12:48 AM »
Please confirm that you are who you claim you are.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

pilotradio

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 05:51:59 PM »

May I ask you, how high have you flown? Typical airliners fly up to roughly 40k feet, correct?

I am a RE er and I can say that at that height, you cannot see the earth curve. You can see a round horizon, but that is really just a perspective effect, not a spherical arc.

I am a private pilot and have flown to around 9,000 ft. I have been in airliners and saw the similar effect that you were talking about.

I should have clarified that I was a part of a weather ballin team for ameture radio and the camera caught the curviture of the earth.

pilotradio

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »
Please confirm that you are who you claim you are.

How might I do that?

I'm a private pilot and a FCC ameture radio operator - technician

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 07:04:44 PM »
How might I do that?

I'm a private pilot and a FCC ameture radio operator - technician
To be completely honest, I'm not sure. I don't really want to ask you to compromise your privacy. However, we do get disproportionate numbers of visitors who claim to have privileged access to certain information when they're really making it all up. It would make sense to provide at least some evidence of your credentials before starting an AMA thread.

For all we know you might be a schoolkid who normally describes himself as "a memes person".

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 10:42:40 PM »

I'm also an amateur in radio technology so if you could try to answer my questions that'd be good.   I've also flown in air liners and haven't gotten the idea tree works looks round,  but I'll double check next time.   I also hear it could be the curvature of the windows.

Second, Why do people assume Long Wave radios can only travel about 40 miles bc of the curvature of earth?   is the assumption the frequency travels straight  and off the earth?  I think maybe it's just distortion.   
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

pilotradio

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 02:16:06 AM »

I'm also an amateur in radio technology so if you could try to answer my questions that'd be good.   I've also flown in air liners and haven't gotten the idea tree works looks round,  but I'll double check next time.   I also hear it could be the curvature of the windows.

Second, Why do people assume Long Wave radios can only travel about 40 miles bc of the curvature of earth?   is the assumption the frequency travels straight  and off the earth?  I think maybe it's just distortion.

Anything is possible with enough bounces....

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 10:01:46 PM »
Where have you flown to and from? And how many times have you flown there? Did you ever fly internationally? Do you have any proof that you are a pilot?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:35:45 PM by iamcpc »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 09:07:35 AM »
Considering the fact OP has deleted his account, I think it's safe to assume that this AMA is over. Locking.