Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
PR Brainstorming
« on: January 21, 2014, 05:25:22 AM »
I recently read that Dogecoin is sending the Jamaican bobsled team to the Olympics, and it got me thinking. What we need to get this site off the ground is a publicity stunt.

We could issue a challenge, such as when LifeLock's CEO gave out his social security number and challenged people to steal his identity. Or it could be a contest, such as when a radio station held a "hold your wee for a Wii" water drinking contest.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:09:18 AM by Tom Bishop »

Thork

Re: PR Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »
Sponsoring something would be expensive. It'd be awesome to sponsor an astronaut or a south pole expedition but its out of the question money wise.

I can't help thinking the best way is to do something controversial and cheap. Like starting a twitter war with an eminent astrologist or maybe making a youtube video that goes viral. the thing is both are very hit and miss and there would be a lot of misses before we actually hit upon something that worked.

Thork

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
We do have the recipe for Dr Birley's phosphorous tonic ... maybe a relaunch?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
Why all of the cheap gimmick ideas? You can also go on other conspiracy websites and talk about the flat earth. I have done it before and some of those people will check in here.
God is real.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »
Or, ya know.  Something like my suggestion that we begin work on an annotated edition of Earth Not a Globe, with the intent to self publish a "definitive" new edition including both all of Rowbotham's original work and society members' annotations.

But nah.  Twitter war with an astrologist is probably better.  Nothing lends credibility to the Flat Earth Society like arguing with someone who thinks the zodiac constellations control our fates.  Really, Thork?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 01:40:54 PM »
Another separate idea is to work on modern proof of flatness. Many people get on here and scoff at the idea that some of our best proof was recorded in 1850. We need to work on more modern stuff, and post it on TFES. Most of you have seen the work I am doing  about the house across 4.4 miles of water. That work needs to be completed and compiled succinctly. Other people could do projects and the ZC verify the work and see if they believe it. The work could be posted on here as modern proof. I think it will go a long way in showing people the truth.
 Just think if you came on here and saw 5-10 experiments demonstrating flatness. You would give this idea a much more serious thought. I no when I first got here, I thought to myself "why has none of these people done their own experiments?"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:52:44 PM by Hoppy »
God is real.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
But nah.  Twitter war with an astrologist is probably better.  Nothing lends credibility to the Flat Earth Society like arguing with someone who thinks the zodiac constellations control our fates.  Really, Thork?
Sorry, I meant astronomer.  :-[

You can also go on other conspiracy websites and talk about the flat earth. I have done it before and some of those people will check in here.
That's a lot of work to reach not many people. You also have to get them back here. Most will just want to have the debate on their website.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »
Nothing says financial stability like a currency based on a meme.

What we need to get this site off the ground is a publicity stunt.

I like this idea. But it should be a stunt that proves the earth is round flat. Back to basics would be to get a douchebag excellent orator like Samuel B Rowbotham probably was. Put him on some retarded excellent radio show that's likely to enjoy stirring shit up be sympathetic. I'm thinking Rush Limbaugh.

Or it could be a contest, such as when a radio station held a "hold your wee for a Wii" water drinking contest.

Someone died doing that.

Good idea, but I'd check it first for the arsenic.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »

Its like a super sugary version of flat coca cola.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »

I really like this idea.  Flat Earth Cola, and all the proceeds go to the FES.  You should develop a business plan and put this on kickstarter right away.

Or, ya know.  Something like my suggestion that we begin work on an annotated edition of Earth Not a Globe, with the intent to self publish a "definitive" new edition including both all of Rowbotham's original work and society members' annotations.

You seem upset, but there is no need.  They are talking about a PR stunt, you are talking about a more substantial work for the FES; both should be undertaken.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »

With phosphor for vigor?

Thork

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »

With phosphor for vigor?
Phosphoric acid. Its in coca cola as well.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »
Send out a press release to talk about the scism in TFES and what that means for the movement.  That sort of thing always gets them going.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »
Send out a press release to talk about the scism in TFES and what that means for the movement.  That sort of thing always gets them going.
I second this. This is probably the best first move we can make.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »

We're (the Council) already doing this. Tom agreed to be the one to contact the press, since he's more or less our president.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Thork

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »

We're (the Council) already doing this. Tom agreed to be the one to contact the press, since he's more or less our president.
No, he isn't. I'm not adverse to the idea, but he isn't.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »

It would be more interesting, news-wise if someone popped a cap in someone's ass. What soldiers do we have that we know can be trusted to do some bird?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »

No, he isn't. I'm not adverse to the idea, but he isn't.

I did say more or less.

tim bishop, tim bishop, what is he your "leader"?
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:38:09 AM »
We're (the Council) already doing this. Tom agreed to be the one to contact the press, since he's more or less our president. the only reason this site is still going.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 12:38:55 AM »
We're (the Council) already doing this. Tom agreed to be the one to contact the press, since he's more or less our president. the only reason this site is still going.
Please refrain from being Crusty in the upper fora.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume