• View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »
And why the hell is this thing 60 buck?

Console politics. Sony picked it up and marketed it as a AAA "exclusive".

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 11:44:59 PM »
I guess they don't want people to buy it. I'm certainly not getting it untill steam sells it for -75%.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 02:58:35 AM »
On the notion of multiplayer in NMS:

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »
I tried it out just for the hell of it, expecting to get a refund and lo and behold, it worked flawlessly for me. I was getting capped at 30 FPS, so I turned off vsync and now we're flying at 60-80 FPS Chewie. I love it a little too much.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »
Honestly the game looks like something I'd enjoy, but something I'd enjoy for $30 or so. I don't see enough content in streams to warrant a $60 purchase on a game like this.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
Honestly the game looks like something I'd enjoy, but something I'd enjoy for $30 or so. I don't see enough content in streams to warrant a $60 purchase on a game like this.

It does get a bit repetitive, but I'm hooked for some reason. You could probably get it in a few months on discount and when the bugs are fixed. They're supposedly working on more content too.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »
Shoot rocks with a laser, wheeeeee
The Mastery.

George

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »
I watched a friend play it for a while.  It looked boring as hell.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
So, the first 30 hours or so will give you a novelty experience that you've never had before. The procedural generation, fly to any planet, warp to a huge selection of star systems etc... are all pretty breathtaking and create a genuinely exciting atmosphere. After the ~30 hour mark, the luster begins to fade and, if you don't like the core gameplay, you will start to hate the game probably. Exploring planets can become tedious if you don't have autism and you don't like renaming every animal species and plant you find. This is something I actually like doing though, so don't get it if that doesn't sound fun to you. The inventory system is really annoying, so I made it a point to upgrade my storage as much as possible. Managing your inventory is its own little mini game and I've been having much more fun exploring without having to dump materials constantly. Overall, I'd give the game an 8/10. It's inherently flawed, and missing a soul, but the parts that do work are insanely good. If Hello Games beefed up the story, made the AI more robust, and created a zone of star systems where players could warp to easily and interact with each other, I think it would have a ridiculous amount of replay value. For the majority of people it's a $30 game, but I have absolutely no regrets after getting bent over by Sean Murray for the full $60.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:26:59 AM by Hollocron »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Only after 30 hours it became tedious? Wow..

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »
30 hours? I had a hard time watching streamers play for more than an hour. Some were even getting noticeably bored after the first "Oooo aaahhh" planet-to-space experience.

George

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 04:21:55 AM »

George

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 04:07:52 PM »
You.

Yes, you. The one screaming, "There's no multiplayer!" and "Sean Murray lied to us!" and other slurs I dare not mention.

Tread lightly.

You are one. We are hundreds, thousands. Millions. You aren't just IN the minority; you ARE the minority.

I don't feel awkward or anxious playing No Man's Sky around others, and your words don't affect me. Many others, however, are coming out of their shells for the first time in their lives. This is the first time many are enjoying the beautiful world that has been procedurally generated for us - and it IS beautiful. Incredibly so. DON'T ruin this for them. We No Man's Sky fans may have our differences, but we will not hesitate to come to the aid of our fellow explorers, especially against someone who so virulently slurs that which has brought us all together.

Don't take this the wrong way. I don't hate you. I don't fear you.

I pity you.

I'm sorry that you feel this way towards us. I'm sorry that No Man's Sky is such a bane to your existence. And I'm sorry that you are missing out on such a wonderful experience. Mostly, though, I'm sorry that you feel the need to go around and publicly chastise and berate others. I'm sorry that, to ensure your own validity, you need to make others feel invalid. I'm sorry that your self-worth is so infinitesimally miniscule that you have to make others feel less-than-human, at least in your own denatured mind, just to feel whole. I am truly sorry that day-in and day-out you have to put up with your worthless, meaningless, Shakespearean tragedy of a life.

I ask you politely to cease your unnecessary cries for attention, and instead invite you to join our ranks. Uninstall Call of Duty, start up No Man's Sky, and breathe in the splendour and the amazement of your first planet, and then, maybe, just maybe, you'll see what you've been so hopelessly searching for this whole time.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
shoot laser at rocks
The Mastery.

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
it's a survival game where an infinite supply every resource you'll ever need is always pretty much right in front of you no matter where you happen to be in the game.

oh but hey you can name a bunch of shit funny stuff like RIP HARAMBE or whatever
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 05:14:06 PM »
Do the same things over and over and over again ;)
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »
I almost have my 48 slot ship. The trick is going to be getting one that looks cool too. After I get that I'm going to upgrade my hyperdrive to max and go land on some planets other people have discovered.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 08:08:30 PM »
Do the same things over and over and over again ;)
It's the grind method that's gotten Blizzard a mint back in 2004 up to like 5 years ago.  Don't mess with the grind formula.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.