Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Cancel culture
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2021, 07:38:37 AM »
Is this tranphobic discrimination? Should this salon be canceled for refusing service for what they do for other women on their areas?

https://thoughtnova.com/trans-woman-who-sued-salon-workers-for-refusing-to-wax-her-balls-loses-court-cases/f9g7f4e

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:43:50 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2021, 08:33:38 AM »
“Refusing to Wax Her Balls”

Now there’s a phrase
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »
I'm having a little trouble believing that's real. It sounds like something Tucker Carlson would make up.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2021, 11:04:45 AM »
I'm having a little trouble believing that's real. It sounds like something Tucker Carlson would make up.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/25/trans-woman-tried-to-sue-beauticians-for-refusing-to-wax-her-testicles-10982552/

Seems legit.
Canadian woman wanted a wax down below.  Salon did not advertise nor was trained for male genitalia waxing so they refused.

Seems pretty acceltable to me.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »
I'm choosing to believe that it was probably a dumb stunt by Steven Crowder.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2021, 02:24:38 PM »
So it's either a dumb stunt by the extreme left or a dumb stunt by the extreme right. Another victory for horseshoe theory, I suppose.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Rama Set

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2021, 02:29:23 PM »
It’s not even a trans issue. They just don’t wax penises no matter what your gender is. One day people will understand that sex and gender aren’t technically the same even if people use them interchangeably in the vernacular.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2021, 05:01:41 PM »

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/25/trans-woman-tried-to-sue-beauticians-for-refusing-to-wax-her-testicles-10982552/

Seems legit.
Canadian woman wanted a wax down below.  Salon did not advertise nor was trained for male genitalia waxing so they refused.

Why is it acceltable to discriminate against transgenders? Why not force salons to provide services to transgendered people just like businesses are forced to provide services to the disabled and take necessary training and install necessary modifications such as ramps and special parking spaces?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:04:22 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2021, 06:04:42 PM »

Seems legit.

Why is it acceltable to discriminate against transgenders? Why not force salons to provide services to transgendered people just like businesses are forced to provide services to the disabled and take necessary training and install necessary modifications such as ramps and special parking spaces?

Are you saying that, in the US at least, trans folks should fall under the purview of the ADA? In other words, are you saying trans people are disabled?

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2021, 06:11:19 PM »
Hes saying that the customer is always right. If a customer walks into a dance studio and says they want to learn to play the piano, the studio's instructor should have to teach the customer how to hammer away on the keys, even if theyve never received instruction, performed any piano instruction, or been approved to do so

Rama Set

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2021, 07:09:06 PM »

Seems legit.

It’s not even a trans issue. They just don’t wax penises no matter what your gender is. One day people will understand that sex and gender aren’t technically the same even if people use them interchangeably in the vernacular.

Stop being such a troll, Bom.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2021, 07:53:55 PM »
Are you saying that, in the US at least, trans folks should fall under the purview of the ADA? In other words, are you saying trans people are disabled?

I'm saying that people here are hypocrites for calling for transgender equality while simultaneously holding that businesses should be able to discriminate against transgenders. If you believed in true equality business should need to provide equivalent services to women with transgender genitalia.

The same side which argues that it was wrong for a cake-making business to discriminate against a gay wedding is siding with a position which discriminates against transgenders. How ironic.

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2021, 08:02:22 PM »
The same side which argues that it was wrong for a cake-making business to discriminate against a gay wedding is siding with a position which discriminates against transgenders. How ironic.

How convenient, though not unexpected, that you choose to ignore this:

It’s not even a trans issue. They just don’t wax penises no matter what your gender is.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2021, 08:04:20 PM »

I'm saying that people here are hypocrites for calling for transgender equality while simultaneously holding that businesses should be able to discriminate against transgenders. If you believed in true equality business should need to provide equivalent services to women with transgender genitalia.

Is it that the cake-making people were untrained in how to make a cake for gay people? If I recall, that was not the cake-makers' position.

Here we have a salon that doesn't wax anyone's balls regardless of how the ball carrier identifies. Perhaps if they simply posted a sign saying "We don't do balls" this would all go away.

And back to the cake-makers, if I remember correctly, they won their case on their religious grounds. I don't see here where religion was evoked as a reason.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2021, 09:50:06 PM »
Tom and his strawmen.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2021, 10:38:03 PM »

How convenient, though not unexpected, that you choose to ignore this:

It’s not even a trans issue. They just don’t wax penises no matter what your gender is.

Yeah, like arguments along the lines of of "We're not racist, we just don't put makeup on black skin no matter what your race is, we don't have training" and "We can't afford to install special toilet stalls and ramps for the disabled" are going to fly in racial discrimination and disability lawsuits.  ::)

When you are running a business and start making up excuses to reject people of protected classes then you will be forced out of business by the state with prejudice. The state will tell you that if you can't accommodate people of color, that if you can't afford to install the ramps and safety measures, and if you can't afford to train your staff on accommodation of people with disabilities, then you cannot operate. It is your obligation to accommodate people of protected classes for equivalent services.

Granted that transgenderism is not currently a protected class and that it is currently legal to discriminate against them. But if you believe in transgender equality, and believe that transgenderism should be protected like race and disability are in many states and countries, you should likewise believe that they should have the right to the same services irrespective of their special needs.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:16:55 AM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2021, 11:42:09 PM »
Tom, I am sorry transgender is difficult for you to understand, but biological sex and gender identity are separate things.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2021, 12:19:24 AM »
Is he trying to make a case for the gay couple and not for the cake makers? That’s a twist I didn’t expect from him.

Rama Set

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2021, 01:19:12 AM »
No he’s trying to own the libs.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
CaNcElLeD!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59139743

For the record, I think part of the problem with this sort of thing is that it seems we have to put people into a “good” or “bad” category, like Santa does.

The reality is it’s a bit more complicated than that. Churchill is a massive national hero in England and so is in the “good” category, but he certainly did some pretty horrible things.

TL;DR, people are complicated, they’re generally not all good or all bad. Apart from Tom Hanks and Thork respectively.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"