Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »
Tonight ... San Marino vs England

I predict:      San Marino 0 - 6 England
You meant by half time, obviously.
Obviously. I'm not even watching the second half.
I couldn’t be arsed watching, so inevitable was the result. Just had a look, it’s 10-0 at the moment  :D
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2021, 09:34:35 PM »
And that’s how it finished.
#itscominghome
#notreally
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »
Northern Ireland 0 – 0 Italy

You're welcome, England.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2021, 04:25:51 PM »
I'm going to miss the first half of today's Netherlands vs Norway game because I have an Irish lesson, so hopefully they save the best for last.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »
I'm going to miss the first half of today's Netherlands vs Norway game because I have an Irish lesson, so hopefully they save the best for last.
Seems like I didn't miss much. It's still 0–0 at half time. Turkey is also tied 1–1 with Montenegro. This is nail-biting. A single goal could topple the Netherlands from their throne in their qualifying group.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:55:42 PM by xasop »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2021, 08:57:19 PM »
By the way, FAO Americans.
England’s battering of San Marino would be described by our press as a rout (pronounced “rowt”).
If you want to get somewhere you plan a route
(pronounced “root”)

But Americans pronounce “route” like we pronounce “rout”. Wrongly, obviously.

So my question is do Americans pronounce “rout” and “route” the same, or do you guys not use the word “rout” to describe a heavy defeat?

Thanks in advance.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »
(pronounced “root”)
In Australia, "root" is a slang term for sexual intercourse. Planning a root is very different from planning a route.

You're welcome, former colonial overlords.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2021, 09:08:06 PM »
(pronounced “root”)
In Australia, "root" is a slang term for sexual intercourse. Planning a root is very different from planning a route.

Yes. I notice from Home and Away and Neighbours that you also use the word “but” at the end of a sentence when you should use “though”. Weirdos.

Australia is my second favourite country which we invented though and my favourite former prison colony.

Rama Set

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2021, 09:08:33 PM »
(pronounced “root”)

Yes. I notice from Home and Away and Neighbours that you also use the word “but” at the end of a sentence when you should use “though”. Weirdos.

Australia is my second favourite country which we invented though and my favourite former prison colony.

Thork?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2021, 09:14:21 PM »
Please don't insult me by calling me Australian. I've lived there long enough to be aware of the dialect, but I don't use such boorish localisms.

There is one word in Australian English, though, that should be more widely adopted. That word is "rort". It would be particularly helpful in the UK's current political situation.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2021, 09:22:36 PM »
Turkey is now up 2–1 against Montenegro, although provided the Netherlands simply holds the score against Norway at 0–0, they still have a good enough goal difference to qualify. The next 15 minutes will decide who goes to Qatar and who stays home.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »
The Netherlands just scored. Norway needs to score 2 goals in the next 10 minutes if they want a shot at Qatar.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2021, 09:37:31 PM »
Netherlands 2 – 0 Norway

Héél knap, jongens. We'll see you in Qatar.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:41:08 PM by xasop »

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2021, 10:15:02 PM »
@AATW we pronounce it rout. Once you add the 'e' the pronunciation changes to route.

Glad I could clear up this confusion

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2021, 04:58:44 PM »
@AATW we pronounce it rout. Once you add the 'e' the pronunciation changes to route.

Glad I could clear up this confusion

Rout is definitely pronounced "rowt".  Americans will pronounce route both ways.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »
Yeah, that's what I said.

Also who's idea was it to host a WC qualifier in northern canada in late November!? Celebrations with snowballs and diving into snowbanks is a new one for me

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2021, 05:25:29 PM »
Also who's idea was it to host a WC qualifier in northern canada in late November!? Celebrations with snowballs and diving into snowbanks is a new one for me
Still not as terrible of an idea as hosting the World Cup itself in the middle of a desert.

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2021, 05:30:24 PM »
This is fair. But that decision was build on bribes, not just... poor planning.

Maybe the city of edmonton has some powerful lobbyists I'm just not aware of. Entertaining though

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2021, 11:29:03 AM »
Yeah, that's what I said.

I went to see Bayern Munich play one time (my team were playing them, we got our arses handed to us).
It was winter and it was a pretty miserable day but one highlight was a massive snowball fight during half time.