Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 04:06:07 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/01/politics/stimulus-check-gop-proposal/index.html

I don't see why it's so bad to NOT limit payments to people who are financially screwed?  Like if you have a job and you're earning enough money to support your family, you don't need a stimulus check.  Unless you want the economy to get a sudden sugar rush to help keep it going.

I believe the argument against it is we don't have an effective means test.  Someone could have lost their job, cut hours, live in a part of the country where that kind of money is only middle class.

I really do agree with a means test for this.  It seems like they haven't used the last year to lay the groundwork for an effective one though.

Rama Set

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
Do US employers not issue some kind of record when an employee is laid off/terminated?

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
They do but we're so decentralized that it's hard to pull that information together in a meaningful way in a reasonable time.

In short, we really don't have a shit together on this.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2021, 04:30:44 PM »
They got the $15 minimum wage in the relief bill. That’s pretty huge. Biden seems intent on maximizing his likely two years of productive time before mid-terms grind the country to a halt again.
Won't need to wait until midterms to grind the country to a halt. Companies - "Be a pleasure to pay 15 an hour to you Jimmy. Simmons and Jethro, we need to let you go."
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Rama Set

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2021, 04:35:01 PM »
Corporations already employ as few people as possible. They’ll bitch and moan and Total Lackey’s like you will sympathize with them and then people will realize it was a good thing.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 11:48:24 AM »
Pleased you are finally admitting corporations do not need to employ people.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Rama Set

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »
I’ve never said they do. You play the silliest games.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2021, 12:21:15 PM »

This is a new one to me.

How exactly do you think companies get any work done without any employees?  Robots?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »

This is a new one to me.

How exactly do you think companies get any work done without any employees?  Robots?

Or outsourcing.  Why hire people when you can just pay someone to hire people for you?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »

This is a new one to me.

Or outsourcing.  Why hire people when you can just pay someone to hire people for you?

I suppose it depends on how pedantic you're feeling.  Still... is there ANY corporation that is 100% outsourced?  Even the CEO?  I have to imagine you need at least ONE person to actually sign the paperwork somewhere.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 04:48:59 PM »

This is a new one to me.

I suppose it depends on how pedantic you're feeling.  Still... is there ANY corporation that is 100% outsourced?  Even the CEO?  I have to imagine you need at least ONE person to actually sign the paperwork somewhere.

You do need at least one person, yes.  But thats really it.

Shell companies, man.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2021, 09:08:23 PM »
A $15 minimum wage won't work in the US. It will just inflate prices for people who had the initiative to do something with their lives, and poor people will have the same spending power or worse. The entire culture here runs almost entirely on insatiable consumerism since we don't have much else to fill our lives with. If you don't like it, then stop feeding megacorps.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 09:20:43 PM by Fortuna »

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2021, 09:30:10 PM »
This is the classic right-wing argument... "we cant raise the minimum wage because it'll make everything too expensive."
1. That's not true, and you can look at many other countries where the minimum wage has gone up on a curve that more closely parallels productivity and cost of living. Prices have inflated 20-30% on many high ticket items (cars, tuition, rent, many foods) without an increase in minimum wage.
2. Raising the minimum wage might also motivate people to "get their lazy asses off welfare" (paraphrased from republicans) because there is actually a monetary incentive to do so. I have friends that used to complain social services cheques were too high " why would they get a job when they're making 80% as much just to stay home and get paid by the government?!"
3. Corporations are cutting jobs anyways, so raising minimum wage isnt the primary factor in job loss/creation

4. Raising minimum wage to a living wage will actually free up hundreds of thousands of positions because people working two full-time minimum wage jobs will be able to afford to work just one (which was the original intent of a minimum wage in the first place).

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2021, 10:11:57 PM »
A $15 minimum wage won't work in the US. It will just inflate prices for people who had the initiative to do something with their lives, and poor people will have the same spending power or worse. The entire culture here runs almost entirely on insatiable consumerism since we don't have much else to fill our lives with. If you don't like it, then stop feeding megacorps.

Also:
The prices at Taco Bell in DC (which has a $15 min. wage) and Pittsburgh,(which has $7.50) is the same.

https://www.menuwithprice.com/menu/taco-bell/washington-d-c/washington/164741/
https://www.menuwithprice.com/menu/taco-bell/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/161146/

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2021, 01:55:11 AM »
No one in their right mind would eat this kind of filthy fast food. Any wonder our society is all obese and lazy? Get in the drive thru fat fks, were gonna clog your arteries. Just slide your welfare card here. Vote for me, more fries on your plate. The Dem way.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2021, 02:27:44 AM »
No one in their right mind would eat this kind of filthy fast food. Any wonder our society is all obese and lazy? Get in the drive thru fat fks, were gonna clog your arteries. Just slide your welfare card here. Vote for me, more fries on your plate. The Dem way.

Seems like American obesity is decidedly bi-partisan, not just a Democrat thing - Actually, it looks like it actually leans Republican:

Adult Obesity Prevalence Maps

Rama Set

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 02:50:06 AM »

Don’t worry. No one got fat eating crow.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 02:59:06 AM »

Also:
The prices at Taco Bell in DC (which has a $15 min. wage) and Pittsburgh,(which has $7.50) is the same.

Comparing a nationwide $15 minimum wage with the prices of food at one retailer in two cities is a bit silly, even for you.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2021, 03:12:26 AM »

Don’t worry. No one got fat eating crow.

I may have to try it someday. Is it true Biden wears a diaper again?
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2021, 05:40:43 AM »

Also:

Comparing a nationwide $15 minimum wage with the prices of food at one retailer in two cities is a bit silly, even for you.
I just wanted to show an example that prices did not shift in any measurable way.  Would you like me to choose a different industry?  Look at GDP per state?