Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #700 on: February 06, 2018, 05:46:31 PM »
I kind of enjoyed it. I'm a bit of a DC nerd, though, so that might be a factor.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 09, 2018, 05:40:04 AM »
I kind of enjoyed it. I'm a bit of a DC nerd, though, so that might be a factor.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-origin-movie-todd-phillips-1202692188/

Joaquin Phoenix is in his forties! How's that going to work for an origin movie? This doesn't make sense. None of it makes any sense.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 09, 2018, 06:07:40 AM »
It does if they wanna make him a pathetic, washed up comedian who falls into a vat that makes him look younge forever.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 09, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »
It does if they wanna make him a pathetic, washed up comedian who falls into a vat that makes him look younge forever.
Exactly what I was thinking!

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 09, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »
Joker origin movie in general is a terrible idea.

Rama Set

« Reply #705 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:59 PM »

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-origin-movie-todd-phillips-1202692188/

Joaquin Phoenix is in his forties! How's that going to work for an origin movie? This doesn't make sense. None of it makes any sense.

That’s how old Jack Nicholson was when he played the Joker

EDIT: He was 50 actually.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:01:19 PM by Rama Set »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 09, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »
Well shit...
He did NOT look 50.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 12, 2018, 04:25:27 AM »

Yeah, but that wasn't an...oh, shit, it was an origin story for the Joker! But at least it had Batman too. This is such a stupid idea.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 12, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »

Yeah, but that wasn't an...oh, shit, it was an origin story for the Joker! But at least it had Batman too. This is such a stupid idea.

Yes, but the origin is a direct prelude to the main action of that film, Burtman Joker is born middle-aged. A younger Jack Napier makes an appearance in the flashback to the murder of Bruce's parents, and he's played by a different actor.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 19, 2018, 04:51:44 AM »
A younger Jack Napier makes an appearance in the flashback to the murder of Bruce's parents, and he's played by a different actor.

One who didn't look all that much like Nicholson:

This was also a dumb idea. I've always disliked it when adaptations try to play up the Wayne murders as being more than just a mugging gone wrong, like revealing that it was a deliberate assassination and/or part of an elaborate conspiracy. Batman's war is against crime in general, not this one specific criminal who committed this one specific crime some time ago. Tying it all the villain of the movie turns things personal in a bad way. And even setting my fanboyism aside, it was a lazy addition to the movie that added almost nothing to the conflict between Batman and the Joker. How could it, when the Joker has no idea who Batman even is? The comics handled the idea of Batman confronting his parents' killer much better:

Justice League (Zack Snyder/Joss Whedon, 2017)

Wow. Watched it with my friends. That may be the worst DC movie I've seen. I'm so burned out I don't even want to write about it. Writing was trash, Barry was cringe, Batman was useless, Cyborg looked awful, Aquaman was cringey dudebro, Wonder Woman was ok, Superman was OP. The story is everyone is useless until Zack Snyder wanks Superman to life, has him show up everyone, then win everything. End movie.

That was bad.

Come on, it wasn't as bad as BvS or SS.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 19, 2018, 05:20:39 AM »
It really was, though. I don't know if I can think of any scenes where I wasn't cringing or thinking about how awful it was.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 23, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »
I don't know, I felt like it was too bland to really be awful. It's like the difference between a ride on a roller coaster that crashes and a ride on one that barely moves at all. The worst thing about the movie for me was the sheer lack of ambition - or even interest in being anything more than mediocre - behind it. WB's actions make no sense. They spent so much money turning this into a bizarre Snyder/Whedon chimera that somehow managed to show off the weaknesses of both directors while playing to neither of their strengths. Why didn't they just pull the plug and start over? They would have saved money, saved audience goodwill, and freed themselves up to make a (hopefully) good movie at some point down the road. Even the added time difference between the next movie and BvS would arguably have helped them out. It makes me feel like this:

And speaking of Whedon:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joss-whedon-exits-batgirl-movie-1087384

Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn't have a story

Uh, okay. I mean, it's kind of wild that he couldn't come up with a story for a capeshitter with such a long history, but at least they're biting the bullet now, rather than shooting a film and then realizing that they had no idea what they were doing.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 24, 2018, 07:18:03 AM »
He filmed it and everything. Only realized at the last second.

Rama Set

« Reply #713 on: February 24, 2018, 03:08:20 PM »
He filmed it and everything. Only realized at the last second.

Really? That’s so fucking brutal. If that is really what happened, then he is the worst director ever.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 24, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
Hey, it's not too far off from what happened with SS.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 24, 2018, 10:07:27 PM »
Nah I was goofing, I just like the idea of him filming a whole movie and then realizing "oh wait I forgot to add a story". Just scenes of them standing around and occasionally quipping and punching people with no coherence to it.

Oh, well, I guess that would fit into the DCEU. Dunno why he scrapped it.

Offline Skeptic

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 25, 2018, 06:07:32 AM »
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed with the new DC movies. All the new superhero movies really, but I still watch them because I'm a fan haha.

Personally, I'd like to see a television series made that takes all the superheroes back to their roots. I'm a big fan of Golden Age comic books. Superheroes should wear tights in my mind, not rubber bodysuits or armor haha.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:19:53 AM by Skeptic »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 26, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »
Comic book movies are for children and 40 year old overweight virgins. Buncha betas in here.

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it.
I'm a Brony so I'm sure I'm even lower on your scale.  That's ok.

Go in peace and let your anger flow. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 28, 2018, 01:55:22 AM »
Just scenes of them standing around and occasionally quipping

Hilarious quips!

"That's not the saying, that's the opposite of what the saying is."

"They, uh... they have a rhythm that I haven't quite been able to - like brunch! What is brunch? You wait in line for an hour for, essentially, lunch. I mean... I don't know."

"I'm a snack hole!"

"Jesus, he is tall."

"Something's definitely bleeding."

"I don't...not...[like Superman]"

There is no character in the world less suited to Whedon's distinctive style of dialogue than Batman. I actually think that Whedon already has a tendency to indulge in this too much, and that it really only makes sense for preppy teenagers to talk that way, but having it be Batman makes it all feel so much worse.

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 01, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »
Speaking of Batman, what do you think about Joaquin Phoenix possibly becoming the Joker?