Offline thedude

• View Profile
Feeling the rotation of the moon?
« on: April 30, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »
We all know that we are told that we don't feel the rotation of the earth because of relativity and the atmosphere moving due to gravity etc. The thought then hit me; why didn't he astronauts feel the rotation of the moon? What is the explanation? Is it because there is no gravity or atmosphere? The moon rotates at 2288 miles an hour. That's over a thousand miles faster than the earth. I tried to look for an answer but couldn't really find anything. Anyone have an explanation for this, or came across one?

Re: Feeling the rotation of the moon?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »
We all know that we are told that we don't feel the rotation of the earth because of relativity and the atmosphere moving due to gravity etc. The thought then hit me; why didn't he astronauts feel the rotation of the moon? What is the explanation? Is it because there is no gravity or atmosphere? The moon rotates at 2288 miles an hour. That's over a thousand miles faster than the earth. I tried to look for an answer but couldn't really find anything. Anyone have an explanation for this, or came across one?

There is gravity on the moon, just much less than here on earth, so that would hold them and all of the moon rocks, dust etc in place. And there is no atmosphere on the moon, so no "air" was moving either with the astronauts or around them.

Also, the speed you quote is the speed that the moon travels in its revolution around the earth, not in its rotation. The moon actually rotates just once every 27.322 days, so it is rotating at a much slower speed.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
The ability to feel rotation has to do with inner ears threshold to perceive acceleration.  If the acceleration is below the ears threshold then no motion is detected.  The acceleration caused by the rotation of the earth is half of what studies have found the inner ear is able to detect. 

Offline thedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
Yeah, I just realized I read the moons rotation wrong. The information I saw said "The Moon orbits Earth at a speed of 2,288 miles per hour". I hastily put my post together. I do realize there is some gravity and no atmosphere. The main question I had was, when would you ever feel rotation? Does science just say that it's never possible to feel rotation. Because we are told we can't feel earth's rotation because of relativity and the atmosphere, so what is the explanation on the moon. Is it gravity? Is it that it's a slower rotation? Just curious what the official explanation is.

Offline thedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
The ability to feel rotation has to do with inner ears threshold to perceive acceleration.  If the acceleration is below the ears threshold then no motion is detected.  The acceleration caused by the rotation of the earth is half of what studies have found the inner ear is able to detect.

Got it. Thanks!

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »
It has nothing to do with gravity and the atmosphere.  Take a look at the thresholds found in this study and compare the acceleration of a rotating earth or moon.
https://bmcearnosethroatdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6815-5-5

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
It has nothing to do with gravity and the atmosphere.  Take a look at the thresholds found in this study and compare the acceleration of a rotating earth or moon.

Also, the speed of the moon's rotation and travel around the earth would be fairly constant, so doesn't that mean there would be little or no acceleration? It is not speeding up or slowing down, although I guess it is changing direction, so maybe the question is why we do not feel the centrifugal force due to rotation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:06:36 PM by Nirmala »

Offline thedude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »

Thanks for this. I've just recently started researching. I, like I assume most, just took everything I've been told as truth without understanding the why. I still don't know where I stand on flat earth or globe, but I have realized that there is enough oddities that I think the questioning is valid.

Thanks for the article. Reading it now. Glad to at least educate myself on these subjects.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 03:24:14 PM »
BTW, the centripetal acceleration cause by the rotation​ of the earth at the equator is only 0.0339 meter/second2. It would be less at greater latitudes. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:29:40 PM by Flatout »

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
Forget feeling the rotation, it would be awesome if we could ever actually see the rotation of the moon.

Alas, we just have to accept that it is rotating just ever so perfectly as to not appear to rotate at all from the perspective of a person on any point on earth at any given time.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Forget feeling the rotation, it would be awesome if we could ever actually see the rotation of the moon.

Alas, we just have to accept that it is rotating just ever so perfectly as to not appear to rotate at all from the perspective of a person on any point on earth at any given time.

And for this to be true on a flat earth, the moon would have to be very far away from us and not rotating at all: https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=6149.0

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »

Tidal locking is a common phenomenon whose prevalence is predicted by orbital mechanics.

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »

Moon libration, easily found on google.  I'm more curious how it appears not to rotate from the perspective of a person on a flat Earth. 

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »

Moon libration, easily found on google.  I'm more curious how it appears not to rotate from the perspective of a person on a flat Earth.

Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »

Yes, that CGI image explains it all

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 11:42:17 PM »

I guess the next step is to take pictures yourself.

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 12:09:18 AM »

I guess the next step is to take pictures yourself.

Yes, why would anyone bother with CGI when a telescope would do just fine. It is not like that perspective on the moon with its various phases is not a commonplace occurrence on earth. Flat earthers are so used to crying "Fake!" when shown any picture that they do so even when it is a simple picture taken of something everyone can see in the night sky  ::)