Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
Re: No Religion= Peace
« Reply #240 on: October 12, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
PS: the scripture you quote is not Christian instruction .... a little out of dispensation and context

Well forgive me, as I don’t much care but when I read “you must” and “as the Lord your God has commanded you”, I hear instructions, but you carry on cherry picking what suits your agenda and I will continue believing it’s all outdated bronze age nonsense that in parts incites genocide, rape and incest amongst other things, and as you want to get into a baby killing debate, how about;

“Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword.  Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes.  Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes.  For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off.  The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows.  They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)”

God is love?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:52:03 AM by Jura-Glenlivet »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Rama Set

« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
The LRA is a Christian army that uses children to commit massacres

Biblical Christianity dictates that the weapons of our warfare are not carnal (of the flesh / of human sources)

for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh .. but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses .... II Cor 10:4

therefore your accusation is obsolete ....

Nice cherry picking.  So you are using nothing more than a No True Scotsman fallacy.  Good talk.

however I'm wondering if YOU (Rama) believe abortion is not murder and justified

Irrelevant.  There are pro-life and pro-choice people that are Christian and non-Christian.  Face it, you can't sit there and proclaim moral superiority just because of Christianity.  No matter what moral or ethical code you subscribe to there will be people that will subvert it to their own ends.  Some of those ends are nefarious and can be robustly justified, and this is especially true of Christianity. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:33:30 PM by Rama Set »

Offline Boodidlie

• God is sovereign and I'm just along for the ride
    • View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »

Biblical Christianity dictates that the weapons of our warfare are not carnal (of the flesh / of human sources)

for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh .. but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses .... II Cor 10:4

Nice cherry picking.  So you are using nothing more than a No True Scotsman fallacy.  Good talk........... < means nothing

Irrelevant.  There are pro-life and pro-choice people that are Christian and non-Christian.  Face it, you can't sit there and proclaim moral superiority just because of Christianity.  No matter what moral or ethical code you subscribe to there will be people that will subvert it to their own ends.  Some of those ends are nefarious and can be robustly justified, and this is especially true of Christianity.

I'll take that as a (no, abortion is not murder and yes, it is justified) ......
probably your confusion is, you have no idea how to determine the wheat from among the chaff (sheep and goats) ... see 1 John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:22:34 PM by Boodidlie »
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #243 on: October 12, 2017, 05:41:21 PM »
They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children

I'm wondering if YOU (Jura) believe that the abortion of innocent Human life is not murder and is justified

still waiting for YOUR answer to this
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:57:10 PM by Boodidlie »
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

Rama Set

« Reply #244 on: October 12, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »

Nice cherry picking.  So you are using nothing more than a No True Scotsman fallacy.  Good talk........... < means nothing

I'll take that as a (no, abortion is not murder and yes, it is justified) ......

The irony of a religious person reading what they want in to my answer is not lost on me.

probably your confusion is, you have no idea how to determine the wheat from among the chaff (sheep and goats) ... see 1 John

Thanks dadman.  Thanks.

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »
The irony of a religious person reading what they want in to my answer is not lost on me .... Don't look at me, you're the one exposing yourself .... eew !!

Rama Set

« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
The irony of a religious person reading what they want in to my answer is not lost on me .... Don't look at me, you're the one exposing yourself .... eew !!

This doesn't make sense.  Anyway, you should try and steer the titanic away from the icebergs.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »

Personally I don't think it should be a method of birth control but there are situations (rape) where there should be the option.

Now please don't get sanctimonious from the “good” book on me as there are many samples of god and his minions being more than happy to slaughter children (see above) and;

Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock. (Psalms 137:9 NAB)
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Personally I don't think it should be a method of birth control but there are situations ..... yeah, I guess murder has its comfortable parameter ...
afterall: Life is meaningless & everything dies.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »
Now you're getting it.

However I won't be smashing children on the rocks as that I find objectionable.

Rama Set

« Reply #250 on: October 13, 2017, 12:03:50 AM »
Personally I don't think it should be a method of birth control but there are situations ..... yeah, I guess murder has its comfortable parameter ...

If you don't think there is ever an appropriate time to take the life of another then you are a child. It does not have to be comfortable for it to be justified. You would be hard pressed to find any condemnation in clear-cut self-defense situations. But then, it's. It murder if it's not illegal.

On the topic of abortion, I am not sure where my line is anymore. I used to be an unquestioning pro-choice person that disapproved of abortion as birth control, but not anymore because I am not sure when life begins or what reasonable criteria for such a thing is. (I do know the answer is not in the Bible.)

However, if a woman's life is endangered by a pregnancy, then I have no qualms about aborting it, only sadness. Other situations, like rape, I am not as clear. My knee-jerk is to agree with Jura, because pregnancy and parenthood are not something that should be forced upon anyone through violent coercion but I am not even 100% on that being a fully constituted justification. It's a sticky topic and to pretend otherwise is to be insensitive and unempathetic.

Now please don't make me regret giving a thoughtful answer by resorting to biblical authority.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:05:31 AM by Rama Set »

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2017, 02:53:33 AM »
Now please don't make me regret giving a thoughtful answer by resorting to biblical authority. ... wouldn't think of it

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »

So that's it then? You ask a morally loaded question, someone (Rama) tries to give you a nuanced thoughtful answer and all you have got, is a link?

Do you actually have a position of your own on anything, or do you just log onto dadsbollocks and go "yeah that"?

I suppose life is easier if you just relinquish all decision making over to a higher authority, one of the siren songs of religion, don't worry about thinking, we've got it covered. 

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
someone (Rama) tries to give you a nuanced thoughtful answer and all you have got, is a link? ...
yeah, well you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink .... What, you wanna talk medical science ?

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 13, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »

Has anybody checked that Boo isn’t a bot?

He/it can’t read or respond to more than 1 line of text, his retorts when they come are trite clichés and they all have links to “dead religions are us” southern style!

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2017, 06:50:34 PM »
dead religions are us ?? .... lol ... lil mizz "Life is meaningless & everything dies" needs to go have a long hard look in the mirror

In Revelation 22

The Paradise lost by the first Adam shall be restored by the Second Adam .. and in this paradise there shall be multitudes saved through the lamb .. to behold its beauties and to taste its pleasures forever .. let all men labor to understand the prophecies of these things shortly coming to pass that they might be prepared to meet the Lord Jesus .. having embraced his salvation .. yea .. and earnestly longing and praying for the hour of his appearance . . . . even so .. come .. Lord Jesus . . . . . the Bible closes with emphasis on the fidelity of the Scriptures v 6 .. on salvation by grace the free gift of the Lord Jesus v 17 .. and on the doctrine of the pre-millennial return of Christ v 7 - 12 & 20 .. the great “peace prayer” of the Bible .. and the last prayer of the Bible .. is “Come .. Lord Jesus” .. and Jesus’ last recorded words are .. “Surely .. I come quickly . . . . amen” .. this is the thought he would leave with us .. May God open the eyes of every reader to the “blessed hope .. the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour .. the Lord Jesus Christ” .. Tit 2:13

Genesis begins with creation .. Revelation ends with the New Creation
In Genesis we have the first Sabbath .. Revelation closes with the holy rest in the new creation
Genesis gives us the first Adam .. head of the old humanity .. Revelation leaves us with the second Adam .. head of the new humanity
Genesis gives us Eve .. the wife of the first Adam .. sinning .. condemned and sorrowing .. Revelation leaves us with the second Eve .. the Bride of Christ .. exalted .. holy and glorious
In Genesis we have exclusion from the tree of life .. Revelation leaves us with access to it and authority over it
In Genesis we have an earth cursed .. In Revelation we have the earth fully delivered from the curse
Genesis gives us Satan tempting and bruising .. In Revelation we leave him bruised and in the lake of fire forever
In Genesis we have the first sob and tear .. In Revelation all tears and sighing are forever gone .........
gty.org
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:21:27 PM by Boodidlie »

devils advocate

« Reply #256 on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:46 PM »

No womb no vote

« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »
In my opinion, religion in the first place was to create peace and harmony in the society. Prior to the laws of the government, religious books acted as Codes for the society.  But over time as the world got connected, people started associating themselves with a particular religion and began fighting with people of other religions.
But as humans if we fail to keep peace and harmony then nothing can save us.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
In my opinion, religion in the first place was to create peace and harmony in the society. Prior to the laws of the government, religious books acted as Codes for the society.  But over time as the world got connected, people started associating themselves with a particular religion and began fighting with people of other religions.
But as humans if we fail to keep peace and harmony then nothing can save us.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. One of the earliest forms of rules for people to follow comes from the Code of Hammurabi (1780 B.C.E) and is a law set by the government. Almost every king, emperor, sultan, and tsar issued decrees and had some form of civil justice.

Even most tribes have written or unwritten codes which list acceptable behaviour, usually set by the chief.

Government laws were often based on religious laws, and vice-versa, but I don't think there has ever been a time when there was no civil law, only religious laws.

devils advocate

« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2017, 01:20:01 PM »
, but I don't think there has ever been a time when there was no civil law, only religious laws.

What do you think about those certain middle eastern countries with Sharia law? People being publicly beheaded/thrown off buildings for "crimes" such as homosexuality or blasphemy? I agree that there may not have been a time previously that had only religious law and not civil but I think there is a case to argue that there is now