Saddam Hussein

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1400 on: June 25, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »
You might as well have linked to the article that article linked to, because it's a lot more informative:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/a-graphic-tale-the-visual-effects-of-mad-max-fury-road/

You silly rooster. :P  Also, unlike Blanko and Crudblud, my favorite of the original three was The Road Warrior.  It delivered the best road action out of any of them, until of course Fury Road came along.  The minimal narrative didn't matter at all to me.

« Reply #1401 on: June 25, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
Some of the citadel bits looked extremely fake, but you had to look closely and the shots never lingered on them.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 30, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »
Birdman (Alejandro González Iñárritu)

Yeah it was alright. The style is neat and the performances are good, but I wasn't particularly awed by any of it. Not much to say.

Café Lumière (Hou Hsiao-Hsien)

Displays none of the problems I've had with Hou in the past. It's also comfy as fuck.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1403 on: June 30, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
I'm very pleased to see that the shitty-looking Terminator thing is getting critically reamed:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/

Will this finally kill off Jai-neric Courtney's career?  No, because he's appearing in next year's Suicide Squad.  Like I said, Hollywood is determined to make him a star, no matter what audiences think of him.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 01, 2015, 01:48:26 AM »
John Wick. Was good.

I'm very pleased to see that the shitty-looking Terminator thing is getting critically reamed:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/

Will this finally kill off Jai-neric Courtney's career?  No, because he's appearing in next year's Suicide Squad.  Like I said, Hollywood is determined to make him a star, no matter what audiences think of him.
Still haven't stopped looking for things to bitch about, I see.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:00:01 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 01, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
Onibaba (Kaneto Shindo)

A tale of two women trying to survive during the Nanboku-cho civil war. They hunt passing samurai in the tall grass surrounding their hut, kill them, strip them of their gear and trade it for supplies from a war profiteer who sells the stolen swords and armour back to the military. I think the real value of the film is in its striking visuals, there are so many great shots throughout, it's a real feast for the eyes. I don't really have much else to say, except that it's a pretty bizarre film overall.

« Reply #1406 on: July 02, 2015, 01:54:35 AM »
Kes (1969) - Original trailer - A classic of its time

The film focuses on 15-year-old Billy Casper, who has little hope in life and is bullied, both at home by his physically and verbally abusive older half-brother, Jud, and at school. He is constantly held to account for some prior run-ins with the police, although he insists that his mischief is behind him. Yet we see evidence of his mischievous side as he carries out his morning newspaper delivery, stealing eggs and milk from milk floats. He has difficulty paying attention in school and is often provoked into tussles with classmates. Billy comes across as an emotionally neglected boy with little self-respect. Billy's father has left the family some time ago, and his mother refers to him in the film as a "hopeless case."

Scource : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kes_(film)

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 02, 2015, 11:25:11 AM »
Six Bullets (2012). Was good.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1408 on: July 07, 2015, 09:37:19 PM »
The Hunger Games.  For a movie that was such a critical and commercial hit, I have to say that I was pretty disappointed.  For one thing, while the teenagers-in-a-deathmatch premise is great, the execution is played very, very safe.  Once the fighting begins, it almost immediately devolves into an obviously-evil villain and his gang of obviously-evil henchmen being pitted against our heroine, Katniss.  That's basically it.  Katniss never has to turn against an ally or friend, kill anyone who isn't a mustache-twirling cartoon villain, or do anything to win that has even the slightest hint of moral grayness.  It's pretty much a Disneyfied deathmatch.

The other big problem with this movie is the directing.  This is some of the worst directing that I have ever seen in my life.  Virtually every scene is shot with a shaky cam - no, not just a handheld, but a camera that continuously bobs up and down during scenes as innocuous as two friends casually chatting.  The film is randomly peppered with flashbacks in the middle of dialogue to arbitrary scenes that serve no narrative purpose and distract from the current scene.  And the "action" is literally incomprehensible, so much so that I hesitate to even call it the product of a shaky cam.  It's more like they had a guy grab the cameraman from behind, jerk him around as violently as possible, and then they decided not to bother editing the random footage that had been recorded.  Just terrible.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Just Watched
« Reply #1409 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
The Hunger Games.  For a movie that was such a critical and commercial hit, I have to say that I was pretty disappointed.  For one thing, while the teenagers-in-a-deathmatch premise is great, the execution is played very, very safe.  Once the fighting begins, it almost immediately devolves into an obviously-evil villain and his gang of obviously-evil henchmen being pitted against our heroine, Katniss.  That's basically it.  Katniss never has to turn against an ally or friend, kill anyone who isn't a mustache-twirling cartoon villain, or do anything to win that has even the slightest hint of moral grayness.  It's pretty much a Disneyfied deathmatch.

She does at the end, and you see how it turns out. We can assume that both would've eaten the berries since there's no reason not to. Based on the premise of many of the combatants having trained for years for the opportunity, it makes sense that the ones who do not have that experience aren't immediately killing off opponents and just trying to survive. Yes, it never really got to the point of her having to murder any allies she made, but I think that's reasonable since the more skilled/experienced participants are likely going to be the last ones remaining.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:42 PM »
I dislike the movies. I did love the books, but now I realize I didn't really like the books either. I just really like the idea. The books weren't terribly well written and it has a stupidly cheesy ending.

So really, I just like the general plot. And book Peeta. Book Peeta is great.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 09, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »
If you just like the idea read Battle Royale. Teenagers kidnapped and forced to fight one another to the death with random weapons. Plus it's gruesome as feck.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 09, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
If you just like the idea read Battle Royale. Teenagers kidnapped and forced to fight one another to the death with random weapons. Plus it's gruesome as feck.
Is the movie actually any good? I keep seeing it on Netflix but it just doesn't seem like it would be great.

Rama Set

« Reply #1413 on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »
Is the movie actually any good? I keep seeing it on Netflix but it just doesn't seem like it would be great.

Hunger Games?  No good. Steer clear.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 09, 2015, 06:26:13 PM »

Hunger Games?  No good. Steer clear.
No. Battle Royale.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 09, 2015, 06:33:57 PM »
Terminator Genisys. Had some dumb and silly moments, but it was good.
Saddam: Fuck off.
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 09, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »
It was really bad. If Arnold wasn't there, I would've called it the second-worst movie I've seen this year, behind San Andreas.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 09, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »
It was really bad. If Arnold wasn't there, I would've called it the second-worst movie I've seen this year, behind San Andreas.

You just hate fun.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 09, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »
Fun is terrible.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 09, 2015, 07:36:33 PM »
No it was good.
The Mastery.