Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
Email Address Phishing
« on: June 07, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
Re: Email Address Phishing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:36:18 PM »
Phishing link has been replaced now with a legitimate link. I did not preserve a screen shot of the evidence. Sorry. But anyone who did "log on to Google" with the bad link may very well have had their password stolen.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 11:39:49 PM »
It was never an illegitimate link to begin with. I looked at the thread in question when it was first posted. I was able to look at the document without having to log into anything.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:02:18 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:57:51 PM »
It was never an illegeitmate link to begin with. I looked at the thread in question when it was first posted. I was able to look at the document without having to log into anything.
We disagree. I received a fake Google sign-in screen, just as the adversary warned.  I was already signed into Google.

Regardless, Such links (unsolicited links to Google drive) should be banned.

See: http://thedroidlawyer.com/2014/03/all-about-the-google-drive-sharing-scam/

Ghost of V

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »
It was never an illegeitmate link to begin with. I looked at the thread in question when it was first posted. I was able to look at the document without having to log into anything.
We disagree. I received a fake Google sign-in screen, just as the adversary warned.  I was already signed into Google.

We? I was already signed into google as well and did not receive a log-in confirmation when I clicked the link (minutes after it was first posted). I am not making this up.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 12:14:19 AM »

We? I was already signed into google as well and did not receive a log-in confirmation when I clicked the link (minutes after it was first posted). I am not making this up.
Okay... Back to pedantic English lessons... You said that "It was never an illegeitmate[sic] link." You cannot possibly know that. We disagree as to whether it was ever a bad link.

Regardless, let's get rid of unsolicited Google Drive links until this scam is resolved. Besides, SMF lets the poster attach ".docx".

Oh and did I mention: I find it incredulous that you found the document "awesome". It promotes the old website and is 17% religious quotes.?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:23:19 AM by Gulliver »

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 12:30:38 AM »
Oh and did I mention: I find it incredulous that you found the document "awesome". It promotes the old website and is 17% religious quotes.?

I am a member of the old site. Also, I never said the content in the document was "awesome". I have my own reasons for wanting to use it.

How is this relevant?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 12:43:19 AM »
I looked at it shortly after it was posted and I did not need to log in.  I was already logged into Google at the time, and did not get a prompt to do so again.  The document simply displayed. 

Also, I can assure you that if the original post had been modified, then I would be able to tell, and it has not been modified.  It is simply a Google document. 

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 01:30:59 AM »
I can confirm that the post in question has not been modified since it was originally posted. Without any record of what you saw, Gulliver, it's difficult to speculate at possible causes, but my first thought is that you may have a malicious web browser plugin installed, or be using a malicious proxy server. Either way, the link as posted has always been as it is now.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 01:36:31 AM »
I can confirm that the post in question has not been modified since it was originally posted. Without any record of what you saw, Gulliver, it's difficult to speculate at possible causes, but my first thought is that you may have a malicious web browser plugin installed, or be using a malicious proxy server. Either way, the link as posted has always been as it is now.
Thank you for checking.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 03:32:10 AM »
If I can make some future suggestions as to avoid needlessly scaring yourself and everyone else in the future:

A phishing link will (almost) never point to the same domain space as the web service it pretends to be, especially if the service we're talking about is as big as Google. Usually, a careful inspection of the link will let you properly identify it. When in doubt, look at the BBCode of the post and check the URL in question. If it's distinctly different from what you'd expect (e.g. http://drive-goegle.com/... http://drive.google.com.freehost.ru/... instead of http://drive.google.com/...) then yes, you're looking at a phishing scam.

The fact that you clicked on it and got taken elsewhere is sadly both unverifiable and inconclusive. It could mean a problem on our end or yours. However, since we have very frequent backups of everything posted here, I think it's safe to say that something dodgy happened on your end.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume