Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
No more reviews
« on: February 09, 2021, 04:33:12 PM »
Well, that's the last time I ever leave a review on Amazon or google or anywhere else.

Man to pay £25,000 damages over negative TrustPilot review

So ... surely a number of things have to happen.

1) Trustpilot need to step in to pay the man's legal costs. Otherwise no one will leave reviews for fear of being sued and they don't have a business any more.
2) The judges need to have a little think about the fall out of such a ruling. this seems like terrible law making.
3) People like Amazon need to change their TOS to state anyone selling on their platform can't sue their customers for leaving crappy reviews.

This is one of those small pages news stories that gets overlooked but I think will end up having enormous ramifications. They just set the president ... you can sue people for painful amounts of money for leaving a bad online review if a judge finds that review to be unfair. Surely if the only benefit of leaving a review is feeling helpful and the potential downside is now a £25,000 fine ... you stop leaving reviews?

Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: No more reviews
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 05:14:00 PM »
Well, that's the last time I ever leave a review on Amazon or google or anywhere else.

1) Trustpilot need to step in to pay the man's legal costs. Otherwise no one will leave reviews for fear of being sued and they don't have a business any more.
2) The judges need to have a little think about the fall out of such a ruling. this seems like terrible law making.
3) People like Amazon need to change their TOS to state anyone selling on their platform can't sue their customers for leaving crappy reviews.

This is one of those small pages news stories that gets overlooked but I think will end up having enormous ramifications. They just set the president ... you can sue people for painful amounts of money for leaving a bad online review if a judge finds that review to be unfair. Surely if the only benefit of leaving a review is feeling helpful and the potential downside is now a £25,000 fine ... you stop leaving reviews?

More like "Don't write an angry review devoid of actual review."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 05:19:37 PM »

This is just fear mongering.

The guy posted slander then tried to extort money. He was sued for libel.

Clicking the 1-star on Amazon is not going to get you sued.  Calm down.   ::)

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 05:29:34 PM »
What about a one star review where I say, this product is cheap Chinese junk. It is shoddy and made by a company that clearly doesn't care about its customers.

I think that places me in the exact same place as the guy who got sued. I just think even the threat of being sued for making a review is such a terrible president to set. Bad for consumers and bad for companies that rely on reviews for a business.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 05:56:21 PM by Toddler Thork »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »
What about a one star review where I say, this product is heap Chinese junk. It is shoddy and made by a company that clearly doesn't care about its customers.

I think that places me in the exact same place as the guy who got sued. I just think even the threat of being sued for making a review is such a terrible president to set. Bad for consumers and bad for companies that rely on reviews for a business.

You've used the word "president" twice in this thread now. You do know it's "precedent", right?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 05:55:05 PM »
What about a one star review where I say, this product is heap Chinese junk. It is shoddy and made by a company that clearly doesn't care about its customers.

You've used the word "president" twice in this thread now. You do know it's "precedent", right?
Yeah, I was just testing. Well done. Glad someone is awake. Ok all, carry on. Nothing to see.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 05:57:22 PM »

If you then emailed the company saying you would take down the review if they pay you money, and it turns out you never bought the product in the first place then they COULD sue you if your review somehow caused them to lose a lot of money.

So... no.  You have nothing to fear.  Relax and calm down, Amazon isn't coming after you.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 06:04:21 PM »
Relax and calm down, Amazon isn't coming after you.
I'm not so sure.  :-\

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 10:44:36 PM »
This is just like the "hot coffee" case from McDonalds.  On the surface it sounds stupid or scary.  But once you dig into it its perfectly reasonable and the courts did what they were supposed to do.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 05:41:05 PM »
Relax and calm down, Amazon isn't coming after you.
Amazon is coming after all of us, and is currently lobbying to form local government-equivalents in Nevada. I wouldn't put too much trust in them.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 08:40:32 PM »
Trustpilot condemns legal action against reviewer

Called it.