Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Transgenderism
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »
It's dangerous, deceptive, and regressive. It shows that it's fine to circumvent facts because they are uncomfortable, or don't line up with how an individual feels. What are your thoughts on this travesty of a social movement?

Rama Set

Re: Transgenderism
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
That you need to come out to your family and friends. Stat.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »
I love it. If wacky shit like this was done away with, /r/tumblrinaction wouldn't exist and my day would be that much more boring without it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:18:41 PM »
Removed fappenhosen's post for breaking Rule 7.  I don't think it was intended to to purposefully break the rule so no warning will be issued.  Please refrain from posting NSFW material, as per the rule.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 01:12:15 AM »
I can't help but think it does more bad than good, in most cases. I also think that a lot of the time, transgenders aren't being honest with themselves about their motives.

inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 02:02:00 AM »
I think that using surgery to radically alter your physical appearance and butcher your sexual organs is a poor way to deal with what is at heart a psychological issue.  I am actually an extremely liberal guy about most things, but I think that the notion that we should just accept this practice because "this is who these people are" is taking things a bit too far.  It is truly disgusting.  Whatever happened to just learning to accept ourselves for who we are?  Does that not apply if we have difficulty accepting that we are male, or female?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 02:10:56 AM »
I think that using surgery to radically alter your physical appearance and butcher your sexual organs is a poor way to deal with what is at heart a psychological issue.  I am actually an extremely liberal guy about most things, but I think that the notion that we should just accept this practice because "this is who these people are" is taking things a bit too far.  It is truly disgusting.  Whatever happened to just learning to accept ourselves for who we are?  Does that not apply if we have difficulty accepting that we are male, or female?
What if its a mentally hard wired issue that can't be resolved by therapy or drugs? 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:14:58 AM »

Because when you're not satisfied with who you are, just force other people to see you differently. If they don't accept your new identity, they're intolerant bigots.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:30:14 AM by Andrew »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:19:10 AM »
It's fine when someone wants to change themselves. It is not fine if they demand that I accept their change.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 02:39:07 AM »
I think that using surgery to radically alter your physical appearance and butcher your sexual organs is a poor way to deal with what is at heart a psychological issue.  I am actually an extremely liberal guy about most things, but I think that the notion that we should just accept this practice because "this is who these people are" is taking things a bit too far.

Why did you use quotation marks?  Do you have some reason to doubt the sincerity of people claiming to be transgendered?

It is truly disgusting.

Can you elaborate?  This comment strikes me as pure knee-jerk but I would like to know if there is more to it.

Whatever happened to just learning to accept ourselves for who we are?  Does that not apply if we have difficulty accepting that we are male, or female?

Let's assume that psychological routes have been exhausted and the difference between gender perception and gender physiology still causes great distress to someone, how would you propose alleviating their suffering?

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 02:40:12 AM »
It's fine when someone wants to change themselves. It is not fine if they demand that I accept their change.

Has this happened to you or are you speaking hypothetically?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 02:45:43 AM »

No.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 02:46:39 AM »
How do you feel about cosmetic surgery in general then?

I'm not directing this at you, but I notice that men who will have problems with people changing their sex will be completely okay with women getting breast enhancements which seems selfish. "I hate queers who want to be women especially when they trick me into having sex with them. But I love a person born with a vagina that has big fake titties!"
Cosmetic surgery is mostly a psychology problem as well (unless it's for legit medical issues like reconstructing faces or back problems). I'm just interested in where people draw the line with surgeries.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 02:51:09 AM »
I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be able to get sex changes or cosmetic surgery if they want.

Rama Set

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 02:54:45 AM »

No.

Accidental tranny sex. Got it.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 03:37:03 AM »
Among transgender friends I have noted a pretty even split between people who want surgery and people who just want hormone treatments. Personally I do not think they are in denial about anything, although many of them didn't quite realise how difficult it would be until they started doing it, and some of them have had second thoughts because of that. Often in the media we only see end results, but transitioning is tough, especially if one is starting it post-puberty as many of my friends did, and one is not guaranteed "desirable" (on a case-by-case basis) results. I cannot fathom why anyone would start even a course of hormones and stick with it if they didn't truly believe they were gendered differently than their biological sex prescribed for them.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 03:58:31 AM »
I believe that social pressure can cause transgenderism.

In general, men who embrace traditionally feminine qualities are shunned. The same goes for women embracing traditionally masculine qualities. I don't think there is anything wrong with a flamboyant man or a tough-skinned woman, but there is, to some degree, ostracism of people like this, especially in crucial developmental stages (middle/high school age).

As a result, people with these "unacceptable" traits feel like there is something inherently wrong with them. Some come to the conclusion that their natural gender is wrong, so they change it.

This is just food for thought, really. It obviously doesn't happen like this for every transgender, but I do know somebody personally who I believe fell prey to a situation like this. I obviously can't know what they are thinking. I could be wrong. Who knows.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »
Change is good, unless someone moves your cheese. 

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »
Where's Tintagel?
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
I can't help but think it does more bad than good, in most cases. I also think that a lot of the time, transgenders aren't being honest with themselves about their motives.

More bad to whom? Society at large is not affected by trans* people's choice whether or ot to express their gender identities.

The harm to trans* people themselves comes in two forms, the first is violence and discrimination  from society and the other is the preceived damage caused by various treatments. The first could be addressed if people just accepted a trans* person's choice and simply treat them with the respect they'd expect. Even if you don't see a trans woman as female, the consequences of you deliberately calling her by male pronouns can be seriously upsetting to someone who may be vulnerable whereas the consequences of calling her by her preferred pronouns results in a bit of internal eye-rolling to you.

As for the second, such harm is their own choice. For a lot of trans* people they are deeply uncomfortable with themselves as the 'wrong' gender and seek to correct it. Forcing people to go through that is causing harm.

In conclusion: Treat trans* people with respect and use the gendered terms they prefer because it's no skin of your nose but might be upsetting to them.