Ghost of V

Re: Anime thread
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
The worst anime I've seen with harem elements was Highschool of the Dead.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »
Violinist of Hamlin is a good one.  It's one of the best anime I've seen with the lowest budget.  How low?  They use still shots about 30-50% of the time.  But you know what? It's fucking awesome.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 10:44:57 PM »
Zoids is the best anime.

Ghost of V

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 10:46:04 PM »
Zoids is the best anime.

No. Beyblade.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 10:49:04 PM »

Ghost of V

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »
No you're not.

edit

wait, are you?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:54:29 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 03:28:50 AM »
Zoids was pretty cool. For realsies.

Offline Space Angel

• Fledgling Zeteticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2014, 02:13:19 AM »
Just today I got into the series Ai Tenchi Muyo; another sequel/re-imagining/reboot of the Tenchi franchise. It's fun so far because it has all the original characters plus a bunch of new characters, and it's fairly well animated. Each episode is about 4-minutes long, which is fine since I don't really have time to sit down and watch anything these days.

Ghost of V

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2014, 02:16:46 AM »
I wasn't aware that Tenchi was getting a reboot. Did they tone down the harem elements at all?

Also, Vinny, what are your impressions of Death Note?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:21:03 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Space Angel

• Fledgling Zeteticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2014, 02:33:33 AM »
Tone down the harem? Not at all. Now there are even more girls after Tenchi. I'm not really sure how this new show is connected to past Tenchi series, but it's fun on it's own. Certainly more fun than GXP.

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »
I wasn't aware that Tenchi was getting a reboot. Did they tone down the harem elements at all?

Also, Vinny, what are your impressions of Death Note?

I've been distracted by Samurai Champloo, Death Note is still sitting on Netflix waiting to be watched.

Ghost of V

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »
I take it you're enjoying Jin and Mugen's antics, then?

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2014, 07:58:47 AM »
Yeah, it's another good anime. Not as enjoyable as Bebop, it lacks on the musical side a bit (even though I enjoy the hiphop mash up with samurai back drop) and is lighter on the themes. But still very well put together and the fight scenes are very enjoyable.

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
Finished Samurai Champloo. Somewhat disappointed that Fuu's father turned out to be some Christian who fled to protect his family, I was afraid he would turn out to be little more than a plot device for the characters to chase and that's unfortunately what happened. Also strange that they bring a master samurai out of nowhere, but I think they handled him well by using him to explain Jin's past. Final fights were great, especially Mugen's, and it did leave me wanting more.

I'll probably move on to Death Note now.. then Monster. Has anyone watched Space Dandy, and is it worth a shot?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 12:22:14 AM »
From what I've seen of Space Dandy, it's not worth it unless you just like cheap humour.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 01:26:03 AM »
Just watched the movie Akira and I can say it does deserve its created as being the genesis of a genre. While the cinematic feeling of the movie is superb, due to its age and being, well, the point of genre genesis, it feels cliche. Even to the point that I could actively predict what was going to happen throughout the movie. This doesn't mean it is bad, far from it, it just means I've seen a lot of anime previously that has basically either copied or built upon its values.

Ghost of V

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 01:29:49 AM »
Just watched the movie Akira and I can say it does deserve its created as being the genesis of a genre. While the cinematic feeling of the movie is superb, due to its age and being, well, the point of genre genesis, it feels cliche. Even to the point that I could actively predict what was going to happen throughout the movie. This doesn't mean it is bad, far from it, it just means I've seen a lot of anime previously that has basically either copied or built upon its values.

My favorite scene is when Tetsuo crushes his girlfriend. The rest of the movie is meh.  I basically feel the same way you do about it. As far as overly violent pioneering anime movies go, I prefer Vampire Hunter D (1985) or Ninja Scroll. Of which I recommend both, just for their historical value on the genre... and because Ninja Scroll is just amazing.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:43:48 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
As I said to Blanko a couple of weeks ago, Akira is beautifully animated and has a great soundtrack, but doesn't really have much else going for it. The story of the manga was hacked apart, rearranged and stitched back together to fit a feature runtime and it suffers horribly because of this. It's historically important, but not a great movie.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »
Are you people watching with subs or dubs?
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
Oh no
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.