Question on Direction.
« on: January 05, 2020, 07:14:32 AM »
Hi, i'm a person who doesn't fully believe in the Flat Earth Theory but i've had a question bugging me for awhile. I've been looking at the Earth Disc shown in the FAQ and in other places and one thing's always stood out. How does Direction Work? (North, West, East, South)

I never saw a real definitive answer, so my main questions are:

are compasses pulled towards the centre of the earth or towards the top of the disc?
has anyone attempted to prove / disprove any answers for this?
How does this work for countries like Iceland / Greenland (since they're very northern on global depictions)
How does this work for countries like New Zealand / Australia? (since they're very southern on global depictions. also because i don't actually see them on any diagrams.)

If my questions could be answered or even theorised, that would be wonderful.

totallackey

Re: Question on Direction.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 11:58:22 AM »
Hi, i'm a person who doesn't fully believe in the Flat Earth Theory but i've had a question bugging me for awhile. I've been looking at the Earth Disc shown in the FAQ and in other places and one thing's always stood out. How does Direction Work? (North, West, East, South)

are compasses pulled towards the centre of the earth or towards the top of the disc?
How does this work for countries like Iceland / Greenland (since they're very northern on global depictions)
How does this work for countries like New Zealand / Australia? (since they're very southern on global depictions. also because i don't actually see them on any diagrams.)

If my questions could be answered or even theorised, that would be wonderful.
Regarding compass direction, FE has a couple theories.

Monopole (in which the magnetic pole is dead center of a disc) and bipole (which maintains two poles located on top of a disc).

Any compass will always point north, regardless of the shape of the earth.

I am unsure of why you do not see Australia and/or New Zealand on any FE diagram.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »

One thing that you have to understand is that there are many different FE models. So i'm giving you the answers for a very specific subset of FE models. The FE model in which the earth is a flat disk with the north pole to the center then the compass will always point north to the center of the flat disk.

I'm guessing not because in both the RE models and most of the flat disk north pole center FE models the compass points to the north pole

The north pole is the center of the disk so the compass points to the north pole.

The north pole is the center of the disk so the compass points to the north pole.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »
compasses in the south have to be collaborated for the south, which is why he's asking the question I think(?).
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline somerled

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »
South of the equator compass points become confusing , Currently the magnetic southern dip pole is given as outside the antarctic circle at 64S 135E . Can't really see how to calibrate for that  or navigate around Antarctica .
Any ideas ?