Offline jimster

• View Profile
What is your goal here?
« on: March 12, 2019, 05:28:01 PM »
Is your goal to find the true shape of the earth?

Is your goal to make the case for flat earth?

My goal is to improve the quality of thinking in those I share the earth with. By quality of thinking, I mean finding the objective truth, not making myself feel good.

It does not matter to me whether the earth is flat. It matters to me that the methods to find out are effective and people understand them.

There is a long long list of things to explain if the earth is flat that make perfect sense on RE. Why think about FE until you have explained morth star/latitude/sextant?

I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Offline jimster

• View Profile
Re: What is your goal here?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:04:26 PM »
What if I had a proposed shape of the earth that I could give strong evidence was true?

My journey through FE started with, "okay, maybe the earth is flat" and I looked for evidence. The FE videos had problems with their understanding of RE geometry and physics, many were downright silly. Logic errors, some had evidence of RE in clear view. Don't consider Bible as way to determine RE.  Ring laser gyroscope netflix. D Marble and Jeranism are just not good. The evidence was dismal. Considering there was already an explanation that had been demonstrated to me, I call "truth" for RE.

Do you know how sextant and equatorial mount works on RE? I find the workings to be fascinating and awesome, that all the stars and planets could be flying around and spinning and orbiting, yet we figured out how to know your latitude with a simple gadget aimed at something 93M mi away. I find understanding why pointing a telescope at the moon on a stationary mount would result in the moon moving across your field of view, yet mounting that telescope on an axis parallel to the earth's axis and turning it at one rev a day makes things stay in view at all angles.

I wish I could get an FE to stay with me through understanding how these things work on RE and why they do not work on FE. I would let them explain where I was wrong. It is not impossible they would convince me.
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

manicminer

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
I find understanding why pointing a telescope at the moon on a stationary mount would result in the moon moving across your field of view, yet mounting that telescope on an axis parallel to the earth's axis and turning it at one rev a day makes things stay in view at all angles

The former is due to the Earths rotation. A telescope magnifies the rotation of the Earth just as it does the Moon. That's why movement through the FOV increases as you increase the magnification. 

It always seems to surprise people when I show them the Moon through a stationary telescope and they say 'Ooo its moving...!'  Of course it is, what did you expect? An equatorial mount is aligned as you say with the celestial poles and so you can track the Moon or any celestial body by moving it in just one axis (RA).  Makes imaging so much easier and you don't get the field rotation that you do when using an alt-azimuth mount.  With a non-tracking alt-azimuth mount you have to keep adjusting both altitude and azimuth axes in order to keep the target in view.

Occasionally I show people the Moon through a telescope that is tracking the Moon.  Then without saying I turn the tracking off and suddenly they say 'O the Moon has just started to move!'.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:06:56 AM by manicminer »

Offline jimster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:31 PM »
FE, where efforts are redoubled when results are dismal.

SeaCritique

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 02:01:29 AM »
Is your goal to find the true shape of the earth?

Is your goal to make the case for flat earth?

My goal, I'd say, is to better know the true shape of the Earth; I can do so by learning more about the case for flat Earth, and how to make that case better.

Offline JRowe

• Slowly being driven insane by RE nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 01:05:43 PM »
My goal is to improve the quality of thinking in those I share the earth with. By quality of thinking, I mean finding the objective truth, not making myself feel good.

It does not matter to me whether the earth is flat. It matters to me that the methods to find out are effective and people understand them.
Oh the irony.
My DE model explained here.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.