Offline Frocious

• View Profile
Re: Another Debate Thread
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
Yeah, yeah, all of you flyby RE'ers have a much better idea on how to promote the Flat Earth Society, despite having no understanding of the FES or FET. Your thoughts have been filed and catalogued. I'll carry on doing my thing because it works.

And it works by the grace of technologies built around a round earth. It's wonderful stuff!

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 05:02:57 PM »
Yeah, yeah, all of you flyby RE'ers have a much better idea on how to promote the Flat Earth Society, despite having no understanding of the FES or FET. Your thoughts have been filed and catalogued. I'll carry on doing my thing because it works. I am so, so sorry that your expectations were not blindly catered to.
May I simply ask again for evidence of your growth and accelerated growth? You did say it was 'easily proven' but I'm curious by what measure. Or feel free to direct to somewhere this has been discussed. I've mentioned the only place I've seen someone discussing metrics, and they were quite poorly thought out.

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »
Yeah, yeah, all of you flyby RE'ers have a much better idea on how to promote the Flat Earth Society, despite having no understanding of the FES or FET. Your thoughts have been filed and catalogued. I'll carry on doing my thing because it works. I am so, so sorry that your expectations were not blindly catered to.

Go on then - I have no understanding of the FES or FET. This is your chance. Tell me how it is possible to fly from Sydney to Dubai/Chile/USA in similar times. If you can I'll happily convert. If you think this is a "Gotcha" question, why do you think that? Are you doubting your own ability to "slowly dismantle" the argument? I see a lot of the "slowly" on here but not so much of the "dismantle". Have some faith in yourself.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 07:03:21 AM »
Anyone being honest with themselves will see that so far FE falls pretty neatly into the description of a fad.

Even IF FE has any validity the fact is it is being spread more like a fad than a more substantial movement, which means that either a) FE is BS and just another silly distraction that will fade and leave behind a core group that never let it go, or b) FE is true but will fade due to the superficial way it's spreading, people will turn against it and the 'truth' will be lost with it.

--------------Fads can also fit under the broad umbrella of “collective obsessions.” Collective obsessions have three main features in common.[12] The first, and most obvious sign, is an increase in frequency and intensity of a specific belief or behavior.[12] A fad's popularity increases in frequency and intensity pretty quickly, which is one characteristic that distinguishes it from a trend. The second is that the behavior is seen as ridiculous, irrational, or evil to the people who are not a part of the obsession.[12] Some people might see those who follow certain fads as unreasonable and irrational. To these people, the fad is ridiculous, and people's obsession of it is just as ridiculous. The third is, after it has reached a peak, it drops off abruptly and then it is followed by a counter obsession.[12] A counter obsession means that once the fad is over, if one engages in the fad they will be ridiculed.[12] A fad's popularity often decreases at a rapid rate once its novelty wears off. Some people might start to criticize the fad after, pointing out that it is no longer popular, so it must not have been "worth the hype." ------------------

Offline Beorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »
Anyone being honest with themselves will see that so far FE falls pretty neatly into the description of a fad.

Even IF FE has any validity the fact is it is being spread more like a fad than a more substantial movement, which means that either a) FE is BS and just another silly distraction that will fade and leave behind a core group that never let it go, or b) FE is true but will fade due to the superficial way it's spreading, people will turn against it and the 'truth' will be lost with it.

--------------Fads can also fit under the broad umbrella of “collective obsessions.” Collective obsessions have three main features in common.[12] The first, and most obvious sign, is an increase in frequency and intensity of a specific belief or behavior.[12] A fad's popularity increases in frequency and intensity pretty quickly, which is one characteristic that distinguishes it from a trend. The second is that the behavior is seen as ridiculous, irrational, or evil to the people who are not a part of the obsession.[12] Some people might see those who follow certain fads as unreasonable and irrational. To these people, the fad is ridiculous, and people's obsession of it is just as ridiculous. The third is, after it has reached a peak, it drops off abruptly and then it is followed by a counter obsession.[12] A counter obsession means that once the fad is over, if one engages in the fad they will be ridiculed.[12] A fad's popularity often decreases at a rapid rate once its novelty wears off. Some people might start to criticize the fad after, pointing out that it is no longer popular, so it must not have been "worth the hype." ------------------

Maybe you should check how long this society has existed before calling it a fad.
Am I in the right place?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »

Maybe you should check how long this society has existed before calling it a fad.

The recent uptick in interest is definitely a fad. Most people, myself included, didn't know that this was still a thing until a few years ago. People that still think the Earth is flat?? WTF? Once that knowledge has had time to spread and the curiosity that FEH exists passes, it will fade back to where it was. It is the nature of things.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50