Saddam Hussein

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2015, 02:01:07 PM »
Huh, apparently the Stannis switch was GRRM's idea. They talk about it during the "inside the episode" junk after the credits.

I think they were just talking about the fact that Shireen will eventually be burned in the books, not that Stannis himself is going to do it.  I highly doubt that Stannis is suddenly going to return to Castle Black to sacrifice her before continuing on to Winterfell, after all.  A popular theory on reddit is that Melisandre will do it to resurrect Jon.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 08, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »
I think it's referring to Stannis giving the go-ahead so don't focus on who will actually be doing the burning.

"Once Stannis makes a decision, he never changes his mind. It's why he's a strong commander. And it's his weakness, but he's defined by his will-the only way is forward. Melisandre gives him a opportunity for the lord of light to set him free. It's a scene that asks what if you're wrong? You're gonna do this terrible thing for a higher calling, what if you're not right? It comes down to ambition, and familial love. Stannis choses ambition. When George first told us this, I looked at Dan and said it was horrible. And good in the story sense. Cause in the beginning they were burning people alive on the beaches of Dragon Stone, and it comes down to this. We've been talking about king's blood, and it comes down to Shireen's sacrifice."

« Reply #342 on: June 08, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »
Good posts from all.  Also, it looks like tonight's episode briefly went up on HBO Go before getting yanked, and I was warned by a friend that it contains a terrible, terrible scene that ruins established characters, spits in the face of the books, and confirms that D&D are retarded.  I wanted to avoid spoiling it for myself, but I couldn't resist guessing at what it was, and I got it right.  Do you want to know what it is?  You'll hate it, I promise.

Stannis actually sacrifices Shireen.

Also, this isn't a spoiler or anything, just speculation, but it's totally going to be Olly who stabs Jon.  I hope it isn't true, but they're foreshadowing it pretty hard.

George told them to do that apparently.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:37:03 AM by Vindictus »

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 09, 2015, 02:20:48 AM »
And there we have it, just as bizarrely out-of-character and shockingly distasteful in execution as it was in concept.  Fuck D&D.  I'm also getting pretty tired of Ramsay being an untouchable super-awesome badass who wins at literally everything he does because he's just so awesome that you can't even touch him.

The rest of the episode was good, though.

They don't even explain how Ramsey and his 20 super ninjas sneak into a war camp and simultaneously burn all the food stores of an army of hundreds. When he said he needed 20 good men, it looks like he got 20 god-like red berets equipped with Harry Potter invisibility cloaks and the ability to preform off-camera miracles. 

« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »
/tv/ spoilers for episode 10.

Jon dead. No surprise.
Jon wargs upon death.
Selyse hanged.
Cersei walk of shame.

SPOILERS IN THE LINK. Leaked images here.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #345 on: June 12, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
And I'm sure Olly will be the one to do it, no doubt shouting something stupid like, "For my parents!"

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 12, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »
And I'm sure Olly will be the one to do it, no doubt shouting something stupid like, "For my parents!"

Oh yeah, they seem to be heavily foreshadowing that.

« Reply #347 on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:18 AM »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #348 on: June 15, 2015, 04:26:55 AM »
A pretty solid finale...right up until the last scene.  They blew it.  Couldn't keep that annoying little runt Olly out of it, could you, D&D?  Whose fucking idea was it to ever have that irritating little shit be a character in this?  Did an HBO executive's kid really want a part or something?  Ever since he showed up, he's just been eating up screen time, doing things that were reserved for other, better characters, and in general just being an all-around drag on the show.  And now he gets to deliver the coup de grâce to Jon Snow.  Also, even setting aside Olly's involvement, the whole scene came right the fuck out of nowhere.  In the books, Jon pushed and provoked the Night's Watch repeatedly, testing their loyalty multiple times with a series of questionable decisions, and when he finally goes too far, they lash out at him almost spontaneously.  Here, he does one thing that they don't like...so they wait several days before setting a bizarre trap for him, and coldly, dispassionately execute him once he falls for it.  It doesn't feel earned at all.

D&D are apparently insisting that Stannis and Jon are really dead, too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:38:41 PM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #349 on: June 15, 2015, 07:23:39 AM »
A pretty solid finale...right up until the last scene.  They blew it.  Couldn't keep that annoying little runt Olly out of it, could you, D&D?  Whose fucking idea was it to ever have that annoying little shit be a character in this?  Did an HBO executive's kid really want a part or something?  Ever since he showed up, he's just been eating up screen time, doing things that were reserved for other, better characters, and in general just being an all-around drag on the show.  And now he gets to deliver the coup de grâce to Jon Snow.  Also, even setting aside Olly's involvement, the whole scene came right the fuck out of nowhere.  In the books, Jon pushed and provoked the Night's Watch repeatedly, testing their loyalty multiple times with a series of questionable decisions, and when he finally goes too far, they lash out at him almost spontaneously.  Here, he does one thing that they don't like...so they wait several days before setting a bizarre trap for him, and coldly, dispassionately execute him once he falls for it.  It doesn't feel earned at all.

Yeah they kinda fucked up the final scene. You don't like it because Jon dies, but you really can't blame the watch in the book because Jon did push it too far with his announcement. It was in public, everyone saw who did it, and it was spontaneous. Was also expecting "for me parents!" from Olly but "for the watch" is only slightly less retarded. He's not even in the watch, what does he care about it? Only reason he's stabbing Jon is because of his parents.

That said, what the hell was that Stannis cut? Is he dead or not? The mountain was great, hopefully cleganebowl actually happens. And fuck Ellaria Sand.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:25:19 AM by Vindictus »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 15, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »

So what the fuck happened to Jon's dire-wolf? It can pop out of a cupboard and save fat Sam's sorry ass, but when the shit hits, it's off chasing rabbits.
The High Sparrow lost his fucking marbles, you don't torture Cersie, strip her naked and then let her wander back in to the castle, covered in shit into the arms of the zombie Gregor, she is going to go batshit, especially when she finds out her other kid was snogged to death by the Martell vamp. The bitch with the bell had better sod right off too.
Melisandre's (gorgeous Melisandre) divination was as much use as Jon's wolf, so Stannis gets his features rearranged by the monster dyke and Arya is regretting ever having said acuna matata to two-face now that she is blind, (since when is killing a paedo' the wrong murder?) .
Daenerys seems to have hooked up with Drogo's old crowd just as she realised that the Un-sullied were over priced.
And Sansa and dick-less leap to their deaths (if they are not then GOT physics is on a par with FE's).
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable episode. Now it's back to Vikings and Lagertha (gorgeous Lagertha). 
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

« Reply #352 on: June 18, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »
Ghost is off hunting pending a larger CGI budget. Drogon required all of the resources for these two episodes.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 23, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
A pretty solid finale...right up until the last scene.  They blew it.  Couldn't keep that annoying little runt Olly out of it, could you, D&D?  Whose fucking idea was it to ever have that irritating little shit be a character in this?  Did an HBO executive's kid really want a part or something?  Ever since he showed up, he's just been eating up screen time, doing things that were reserved for other, better characters, and in general just being an all-around drag on the show.  And now he gets to deliver the coup de grâce to Jon Snow.  Also, even setting aside Olly's involvement, the whole scene came right the fuck out of nowhere.  In the books, Jon pushed and provoked the Night's Watch repeatedly, testing their loyalty multiple times with a series of questionable decisions, and when he finally goes too far, they lash out at him almost spontaneously.  Here, he does one thing that they don't like...so they wait several days before setting a bizarre trap for him, and coldly, dispassionately execute him once he falls for it.  It doesn't feel earned at all.

I was super excited when they talked about Benjen in the recap.  Imagine my disappointment when they only mentioned him because the only way they could possibly think of getting Snow outside was to say his uncle was alive.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #354 on: August 01, 2015, 09:15:28 PM »
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/30/game-thrones-eight-seasons

What's all this?  More seasons?  Also:

"Dead is dead is dead," he said. "He be dead. Um, yes. Everything I've seen, heard and read, Jon Snow is indeed dead."

But as the article notes, Harington has indeed been spotted in Belfast as if it's any other year and he's getting back to work.  So what does this mean?  Blatant lies?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 01, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »
Why does it mean lies? Just because he's dead doesn't mean he'll stay that way. They're just confirming that he did, indeed, die.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #356 on: August 02, 2015, 05:59:25 AM »
Once again, if Jon is dead then so is the series. Martin isn't that shit of a writer.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #357 on: October 05, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
They don't even explain how Ramsey and his 20 super ninjas sneak into a war camp and simultaneously burn all the food stores of an army of hundreds. When he said he needed 20 good men, it looks like he got 20 god-like red berets equipped with Harry Potter invisibility cloaks and the ability to preform off-camera miracles.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 07, 2015, 07:44:07 AM »
Obligatory "people still watch this?".

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #359 on: April 25, 2016, 11:07:04 PM »
Wow, the season premiere wasn't great.  They're really doubling down on the huge changes they've made to the Dorne storyline, as well as the troubling gender politics of having all its female characters be ruthless villainesses compared to the sane, sensible men (in the most egalitarian of all the kingdoms, no less :-\), and the Sand Snakes are just as lame as they were last season.