Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Other suns do exist. [proceeds to describe something that has nothing to do with the FE concept of a sun]
If you can't stay on topic, refrain from posting.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

TheScientist

I'm not going off topic Pete, it was you that brought up the topic of other Suns

It could well be that other suns exist and we simply have yet to find one, or it could be that it's unique

I was simply answering your question/query/comment so how can it be off topic?

The Sun is star (a main sequence G2V type star to be precise - V meaning main sequence (core hydrogen burning)) just like all the others we see. Just a lot nearer so it looks bigger and brighter than the night time stars. 

Am I only allowed to comment on posts providing I adhere to what FE thinks about the nature of the Sun and stars? That's not exactly inline with the 'free thinking' ethos of the FES is it.  Thanks for the warning by the way...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 07:44:42 PM by TheScientist »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile

I do wonder how that works and am happy to see you do too .

These type of orbits have a typical period longer than that of earth , Kepler was 370 days I believe . I don't understand how that works too since we cannot accelerate anything to 66,000mph within the boundaries of known mechanics or keep it there - it would require constant acceleration . How is the solving of the n-body problem carried out , which would have to include a moving earth , sun , moon , asteroids -always narrowly missing earth aren't they .

The vehicle already had the velocity just like you, me, this desk, the server this site is hosted on etc.  You yourself have the same orbital velocity that the earth does around the sun.  The vessel was not accelerated to 66k mph.  It had to go fast enough to escape earth's SOI and then a correction burn or burns to set the solar orbit.  Spaceflight does not work like you seem to think it does.  It's mainly just adjusting orbits.  Read up on orbital mechanics, it's fascinating.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline somerled

• View Profile

I do wonder how that works and am happy to see you do too .

These type of orbits have a typical period longer than that of earth , Kepler was 370 days I believe . I don't understand how that works too since we cannot accelerate anything to 66,000mph within the boundaries of known mechanics or keep it there - it would require constant acceleration . How is the solving of the n-body problem carried out , which would have to include a moving earth , sun , moon , asteroids -always narrowly missing earth aren't they .

The vehicle already had the velocity just like you, me, this desk, the server this site is hosted on etc.  You yourself have the same orbital velocity that the earth does around the sun.  The vessel was not accelerated to 66k mph.  It had to go fast enough to escape earth's SOI and then a correction burn or burns to set the solar orbit.  Spaceflight does not work like you seem to think it does.  It's mainly just adjusting orbits.  Read up on orbital mechanics, it's fascinating.

For fascinating read fantastic . WTF is an earth SOI .  I'll assume that means "sphere of influence " . Escape velocity according to Newtons laws is 11km/s . Anything less and your pulled back to earth . Anything more and your free of earth and off to wander in "space" . Schoolboy stuff . Velocity is a vector quantity - magnitude and direction . Angular velocity requires a constant force . Feel free to direct me to an explanation of all said vectors contributing to orbital mechanics . The n-body scenario is a problem that requires all variables ( vectors ) of all bodies within that system to be known exactly at the instant when the orbit of moving bodies is calculated . Space flight does not work as we all are told . Science cannot find any rotation of earth , nasa uses geostationary flat earth co ordinate system for launches and flights - because it works . Because the earth is stationary .

So how , when the satellite escapes SOI does it then accelerate to 66,600mph ( about 30km/s ) to catch earth if it has escaped from SOI , in a vacuum?

TierraPlana

Several unsubstantiated claims in your post Somerled. Care to back some of them up with some verifiable evidence?   Lets start with your claim that the Earth is stationary for example...  And saying that the Earth is stationary just because we (you) can't feel it moving is not conclusive evidence.

So how , when the satellite escapes SOI does it then accelerate to 66,600mph ( about 30km/s ) to catch earth if it has escaped from SOI , in a vacuum?

It is your own misunderstanding here that is causing your own problem.  The satellite doesn't accelerate to 66,600mph because it is already travelling at that speed as it escapes the Earths SOI. As TIA has already said, once in orbit, adjustments are then applied so the required trajectory is established. Your own wrong belief/assertion that the Earth is 'stationary' is what is causing your problem with this. It is actually easier to accelerate to high velocities in the vacuum of space because it doesn't meet with any air resistance.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:46:44 AM by TierraPlana »

Offline Zonk

• View Profile
Angular velocity requires a constant force

Yes, and it's called gravity.

Escape velocity according to Newtons laws is 11km/s . Anything less and your pulled back to earth . Anything more and your free of earth and off to wander in "space"

Not quite.  You are free to orbit the sun, but unless you accelerate to 42km/s, you will remain trapped in the solar system.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile

For fascinating read fantastic . WTF is an earth SOI .  I'll assume that means "sphere of influence " .

So you can google, good boy.

Escape velocity according to Newtons laws is 11km/s . Anything less and your pulled back to earth . Anything more and your free of earth and off to wander in "space" .

Wrong,   leaving Earth's SOI just keeps you in a solar orbit, not wandering around.  Not reaching escape velocity does not assume you will fall back to earth unless you are on an extreme parabolic trajectory.  In the case of a spacecraft, they are put into an Earth orbit and then the apogee is pushed out beyond the SOI.

Schoolboy stuff . Velocity is a vector quantity - magnitude and direction . Angular velocity requires a constant force . Feel free to direct me to an explanation of all said vectors contributing to orbital mechanics . The n-body scenario is a problem that requires all variables ( vectors ) of all bodies within that system to be known exactly at the instant when the orbit of moving bodies is calculated . Space flight does not work as we all are told . Science cannot find any rotation of earth , nasa uses geostationary flat earth co ordinate system for launches and flights - because it works . Because the earth is stationary .

No one is going to use a so-called flat-earth coordinate system since one does not exist.   The Earth is far from stationary as it is orbiting the sun which orbits the galactic center which is moving away from the origin point.   Prove it's not and we can continue.

Already covered in as you say, basic schoolboy science that you still have wrong.  Why would one need to accelerate to escape velocity if it already escaped?  It would already be moving at that velocity relative to the sun.  It is matching the orbital speed of the earth that is moving around the sun.  Simple stuff really.

Offline Tim Alphabeaver

• That's no beaver
    • View Profile
Here is the earth trailing orbit of the exoplanet discovering Kepler satellite  - 66,600 mph . How ?https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/keplers-unusual-orbit-54411507/
If you launch any satellite out of Earth's sphere of influence, it will go into basically this orbit. What do you expect that a satellite would do?
**I move away from the infinite flat plane to breathe in

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile

These type of orbits have a typical period longer than that of earth , Kepler was 370 days I believe . I don't understand how that works too since we cannot accelerate anything to 66,000mph within the boundaries of known mechanics or keep it there - it would require constant acceleration .

This has already been explained over and over.   It is really a simple concept.   Imagine throwing a ball out of a moving high-speed train going  200 mph.   The ball would carry the same speed as the train plus the acceleration of the throw.    To an observer on the ground, the ball would seem to be magic as no human can throw a ball at 200 mph.

The earth is already moving at the speeds you say are not possible.