Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Intention to set up CMS homepage
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »
I already posted this in The Lounge, but it can't hurt to put it in Announcements too:

In the long term, I want to work things out with Daniel in some way that does not compromise the running of this forum. This may mean that he continues to run the CMS site, while the forum and wiki live here.

In the short term, Daniel's constant absence makes negotiating with him impossible, so we're going to try and drive more traffic to this site. I don't take this decision lightly, as I would rather not make an enemy of the powers that be on .org, but I'm going to begin working on a homepage similar to .org's CMS so we can hopefully improve our Google ranking. Without RE noobs, there will be no debates, and this website will fail.

It's going to be tough walking the line between alienating us from the .org administration and doing too little to boost popularity, and I will undoubtedly be pissing someone off, somewhere. I would appreciate any and all opinions people have to offer in the next few days.

Finally, I'd like to thank you all for posting here. I've been frustrated by the situation on .org for a very long time, mostly because I know I can do things better, so I appreciate the chance to run this site properly. I hope I don't let you down.

I've done some initial setup of a CMS called BlazeBlogger to begin with:

http://cms.theflatearthsociety.sjm.so/

It's just got a test post up at the moment, but with some custom theming it could be a decent homepage. It's also very efficient at generating and serving pages; once it's up and running, I want to serve the entire CMS through CloudFront for insanely fast loading times, since the entire blog is static content once it's generated.

Anyway, that's just me being a computer nerd. For the rest of you, suffice it to say we'll have a homepage that isn't the forum soon.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Intention to set up CMS homepage
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
Okay, so I've updated the theme and worked out how to use Blaze Blogger a little better:

http://cms.theflatearthsociety.sjm.so/

What I'd like here is:
  • an About blurb that isn't just lorem ipsum;
  • preferably, an About page with a little more detail;
  • an introductory blog post explaining what this site is about;
  • a theme that isn't just me dicking around with a generic theme for half an hour to make it look vaguely FES-ish.
I can probably do the first three myself after a bit of sleep, but I'll happily take contributions from others. The last one I'd really like Tintagel to do, but since she doesn't come here anymore, I'll take any volunteers I can get. I suck at web design, as you can probably tell from that page.

Edit: And before you ask, there is a robots.txt protecting this page, so it won't get crawled by Google until we decide we're ready.

Thork

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »
I approve this sentiment.

I'll help but I'm sure there are a bunch of others who want to help first. I'm probably best off saving my efforts for flat earth stuff as I'm not to shabby on the theory.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:35:51 PM »
I can probably do the first three myself after a bit of sleep, but I'll happily take contributions from others.

Anyone? I've spent the past two hours debugging PHP code written by people with no clue how the Internet works; I think that earns me exemption from writing this shit up. :P

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
I suggest this:

“International Globularism – A Child Attempting To Be Witty”

There is a pestilence permeating the Internet - or that is what the establishment would have you believe.

Ah, yes! Zeteticism! Free thought! Universal truth! Most insidious specters indeed! Those in charge would not deign to have them haunting our society...but what of you, citizen? Are you content to accept the lies of our current government? Or do you long for rational, honest answers to the important issues? The latter, of course, is no less than treason, citizen. Zeteticism is treason! An upheaval against the Globularist lie and its entrenched system of propaganda which has become so very much a part of our daily routine! The Globularist, why, he is the master of falsehood! This is why Zeteticism is incompatible with it, citizen. This is why Zeteticism is treason.

You recoil from the word, citizen, and rightly so; it is an ugly and unfortunate word with ugly and unfortunate connotations. However, there comes ugly and unfortunate times when such ugly and unfortunate things become necessary in the face of the most ugly and unfortunate forces of all. Treason against injustice, slander and inveracity! This form of treason is patriotic, citizen! It is under these conditions that treason blossoms into revolution! Zeteticism is, at its very core, revolutionary in every respect.

But what is Zeteticism? How may it be best comprehended without direct observation? Citizen, I give you the words of the great Samuel Rowbotham:

It has become a duty, paramount and imperative, to meet the common Round Earther in the open, avowed, and unyielding rebellion; to declare that his reign of error and confusion is over; and that henceforth, like a falling dynasty, he must shrink and disappear, leaving the throne and the kingdom of science and philosophy to those awakening intellects whose numbers are constantly increasing, and whose march is rapid and irresistible. The soldiers of truth and reason of the Flat Earth Society has drawn the sword, and ere another generation has been educated and grown to maturity, will have forced the usurpers to abdicate. Like the decayed and crumbling trees of an ancient forest, rent and shattered by wind and storm, the hypothetical philosophies, which have hitherto cumbered the civilized world, are unable to resist the elements of experimental and logical criticism; and sooner or later must succumb to their assaults. The axe is uplifted for a final stroke - it is about to fall upon the primitive sphere of the earth, and the blow will surely "cut the cumberer down!”

And so, with Dr. Rowbotham as the guide and reason as the inspiration, the Flat Earth Society has been formed!

However, our situation is grim, citizen. Currently, we have no rights; we are insulted every day and told to keep silent. As the Globularist poison seeps into our minds, as we are bullied by their agitation and indoctrination, every gesture we make is a commitment! Citizen, it is time to cull the living flower of freedom. Let us rally under the FES!

Let the Globularists quake with fear and anger at this “pestilence” which seeks to free the people! You have nothing to lose but your blindfold, citizen! You have the flatness of the earth to realize!

ZETETICISTS OF ALL COUNTRIES UNITE!

CUT THE CUMBERER DOWN!

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 02:05:34 PM »
I'll write or edit anything I am asked to.  It will not be done probably before the weekend starts, but I am fairly sure I can put together anything that is needed.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
I suggest this:

What is the source for that? It could work, but I don't want to post random copypasta onto our new homepage with no citation.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
Reminder of what needs to be done here:

What I'd like here is:
  • an About blurb that isn't just lorem ipsum;
  • preferably, an About page with a little more detail;
  • an introductory blog post explaining what this site is about;
  • a theme that isn't just me dicking around with a generic theme for half an hour to make it look vaguely FES-ish.

This is now top priority, as the biggest issues with the forum (getting the domain name sorted and having proper spam protection on signups) are now resolved, or at least under control. Sticky'd.

If someone wants to work on a theme for the homepage, hit me up and we'll work out a way to test it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »
What is the source for that? It could work, but I don't want to post random copypasta onto our new homepage with no citation.
I believe this has been written by Chris Spaghetti, but that was before my time, so I might be ultra wrong.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 05:05:12 PM »
I'll try my hand at writing! The about blurb and page are about the society, no? And the third bullet is for the site? I just want to be clear on the parameters.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
I'll try my hand at writing! The about blurb and page are about the society, no? And the third bullet is for the site? I just want to be clear on the parameters.
This site is made by the people, for the people. Write whatever you think will do the society and site justice.

Personally, I think the parameters you described sound good, but I doubt either me or Parsifal would want to restrict you (and everyone else)!
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 12:11:17 AM »
Indeed, feel free to write up whatever you think is suitable.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 12:02:46 PM »
Thanks to our graphic design whiz kid Blanko, we now have a FES-styled theme for the website:

http://www.tfes.org.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/

Now all it needs is content!

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »
I did not realize Blanko had such awesome graphic design skills. I love it. :D My only real opinion is to change up the layout of the site, 'cause it looks waaaaay too "personal blog"-ish.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Thork

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 11:42:15 PM »
About
This is the home of the world famous Flat Earth Society.  A place for free thinkers and the intellectual exchange of ideas. This site hosts information and serves as an archive for Flat Earth Theory. It also offers an opportunity to discuss this with the Flat Earth Community on our forums.

More …

Short and to the point. Its about the same size as the current Lorem ipsum.

I will write a more ... section tomorrow if it pleases the society, on the history of the modern flat earth society from Rowbotham right up to the formation of our new site. A kind of how we got here.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »
About
This is the home of the world famous Flat Earth Society.  A place for free thinkers and the intellectual exchange of ideas. This site hosts information and serves as an archive for Flat Earth Theory and offers an opportunity to discuss this with the Flat Earth Community on our forums.

More …

I will write a more ... section tomorrow if it pleases the society, on the history of the modern flat earth society from Rowbotham right up to the formation of our new site. A kind of how we got here.

Thank you, Thork.  I knew you would contribute someday.

But seriously, thanks.

Thork

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
About
This is the home of the world famous Flat Earth Society.  A place for free thinkers and the intellectual exchange of ideas. This site hosts information and serves as an archive for Flat Earth Theory. It also offers an opportunity to discuss this with the Flat Earth Community on our forums.

More …

Thank you, Thork.  I knew you would contribute someday.

But seriously, thanks.
There's also a decent amount of key word stuffing in there as well.  ;)

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 05:59:53 AM »
"World-famous" should be hyphenated, and I suggest that we use a comma to connect the first two sentences, as the second one is a fragment.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »
I was thinking something that describes the Society rather than the website for the "About" blurb. But since it's better than lorem ipsum, I've updated the website with that for now.

Thork

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
I was thinking something that describes the Society rather than the website for the "About" blurb. But since it's better than lorem ipsum, I've updated the website with that for now.
I really just wanted to draw attention to the forum and have people realise that's the bit they can really ineract with.

We have a wiki and an FAQ and a whole bunch of other stuff that describe what the society is about.

But I'll hold firet then. I don't wan to write a big chunk if that's not what is wanted.