Launch at night...
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
So, I have always been intrigued by this debate!  I think I have the best idea out there to answer this question once and for all!!!!   If the sun doesn't "set" or move around the globe, why doesn't someone launch a balloon during the night, say 1:00 am?  I have seen several balloon videos launched during the daytime showing what looks like a flat plane! If a night launch shows the sun at some point, I guess we can certainly put some factual data together and have the answer.  I don't know if this has been done.  If it has, I've never seen this.  I am just thinking logically!!.  Let me know what you all think....

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
Re: Launch at night...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:43:47 AM »
May I suggest that you perform the experiment yourself?  Weather balloons are available for reasonable prices, and with a fairly inexpensive camera under it you could do the whole thing for under $200 too.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:10:57 AM »
May I suggest that you perform the experiment yourself?  Weather balloons are available for reasonable prices, and with a fairly inexpensive camera under it you could do the whole thing for under $200 too.

May I ask why you are so afraid to perform experiments?  Every response from the flat earth crew on this site is a clear and obvious deflection.  It is amazing that you actually believe you are in a position of intellectual superiority simply based on your defiance of facts.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
May I ask why you are so afraid to perform experiments?  Every response from the flat earth crew on this site is a clear and obvious deflection.  It is amazing that you actually believe you are in a position of intellectual superiority simply based on your defiance of facts.

Afaid to perform experiments?  What makes you think that?  Several times, I have tried to get Tom Bishop to specify the exact beach from which he allegedly conducted his eponymous experiment, so I could, you know, PERFORM THE EXPERIMENT.  I merely think the person with the question should be the one to perform the experiment for themselves.  If I reported that I had done it, would that prove anything to anybody?

You're new here, and I've been inactive for a couple weeks, which could explain why you don't know I'm not a flatty but a rounder.  Except that my username is Rounder.  As in, I know the earth is ROUND.  It's kind of a giveaway, and kind of on purpose. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:45:41 AM by Rounder »
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »
So, I have always been intrigued by this debate!  I think I have the best idea out there to answer this question once and for all!!!!   If the sun doesn't "set" or move around the globe, why doesn't someone launch a balloon during the night, say 1:00 am?  I have seen several balloon videos launched during the daytime showing what looks like a flat plane! If a night launch shows the sun at some point, I guess we can certainly put some factual data together and have the answer.  I don't know if this has been done.  If it has, I've never seen this.  I am just thinking logically!!.  Let me know what you all think....

The key to this experiment is to use a camera with a prime lens.    You must eliminate the distortion from wide angles lenses.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 12:18:35 PM »

You're assuming that the objective here is to photograph the horizon and see if it's flat or curved.

That's not the objective.  The objective is to track the position of the sun near sunset and observe it's position relative to the horizon from altitude.

That doesn't require special lenses and is every bit as good as a proof (or disproof) of FET.

The key to this experiment is to use a camera with a prime lens.    You must eliminate the distortion from wide angles lenses.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »

You're assuming that the objective here is to photograph the horizon and see if it's flat or curved.

That's not the objective.  The objective is to track the position of the sun near sunset and observe it's position relative to the horizon from altitude.

That doesn't require special lenses and is every bit as good as a proof (or disproof) of FET.

Good points
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?