Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Amazon PrimeAir
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:03:20 AM »
Amazon.com wants to deliver packages to you, by air, in 30 minutes or less, using helicopter drones.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/video/EVKb8xVjuajoiyHOiF0_BCg94I9PYEpQ/amazon-unveils-futuristic-plan-delivery-by-drone/

Might want to skip about two minutes in if you want to go straight to the actual information.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon PrimeAir
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:14:08 AM »
Yeah... I can see the FAA having issues with that.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:32:08 AM »
It will take more than 30 minutes to fly across the pacific. Just about anywhere will take longer than 30 minutes.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:46:16 AM »
It will take more than 30 minutes to fly across the pacific. Just about anywhere will take longer than 30 minutes.

They have more than one distribution center.

Yeah... I can see the FAA having issues with that.

I can never see this happening at all, honestly. Drones getting destroyed by dogs, running into cars, exploding, hitting people in the face, stolen. Dropping the package off on your roof for no apparent reason. Not to mention the airborne danger they pose to birds and emergency helicopters.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:36:22 AM »
aghgghgh I literally came here just now to post this you jerk. >:[

I would love if this happened, though. Not even just for the concept, but packages within 30 minutes! I could be like "hmm i want this new cd", order it, and have it less than an hour later and listen to it! Or the same with games! This would be incredible ;___;
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 03:39:23 AM »
aghgghgh I literally came here just now to post this you jerk. >:[

I would love if this happened, though. Not even just for the concept, but packages within 30 minutes! I could be like "hmm i want this new cd", order it, and have it less than an hour later and listen to it! Or the same with games! This would be incredible ;___;

Yes, it would usher it a whole new generation of lazy shoppers. Also, haha.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:56:33 AM »
Imagine Black Friday if this became popular.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 03:57:26 AM »
I dunno, it could work. There are many obstacles to overcome, but it could work. And it would be glorious.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 04:15:21 AM »
I feel like Amazon revealed this a long time ago. Like, when I read the news on Reddit, I wondered "why is this a top story?" I really thought Amazon had come out with an article about this already. Weird.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 04:40:52 AM »
I recall seeing a "LOL THIS IS WHAT THE WORLD WILL BE LIKE IN 2050 GUIZE" picture somewhere that featured delivery drones, but I don't think that was Amazon-specific.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »
Yeah, this is all very fun, but of course they'd be shot down and contents removed. Sadly this is just a smoke screen by Amazon marketing to hide the real story of the day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25191651
They've been trying to cheat on their taxes again.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
Yeah, this is all very fun, but of course they'd be shot down and contents removed. Sadly this is just a smoke screen by Amazon marketing to hide the real story of the day.

They could just use it in a country that isn't filled with 2nd amendment gun nuts.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »

They could just use it in a country that isn't filled with 2nd amendment gun nuts.
They have to come down to ground level to deliver. We can still buy baseball bats.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »

They have to come down to ground level to deliver. We can still buy baseball bats.

Fantastic, we don't have baseball.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

Fantastic, we don't have baseball.
Golf clubs also work.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
A big stick could also do the trick.  It's a novel idea, but I doubt it'll happen by the end of the decade successfully, i.e. without a bunch of packages being stolen.  Drivers can at least call the cops if they suspect they are being followed and I doubt a drone could accurately distinguish that behavior.

Adolf Hipster

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
I just heard about this today. A very neat idea, but it suffers from a lot of issues.

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 01:22:45 AM »
The FAA regulation on GPS drones being one of the biggest issues.  I think I heard that the FAA will be having a look at this rule in 2015?

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 06:35:24 AM »
Yeah, I saw a video for it today, but I can just see people ordering some cheap item, then trying to throw rocks at/steal the drone for fun.

It's a cool idea, and I want it to work, but I honestly think there are too many inhibitors for it to have a chance.