Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #760 on: February 21, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
"The phrasing of the questions is far from ideal, but most of the "loaded" questions are along the lines of "do you agree with this statement?" They're clearly there to compare and contrast the sentiment of the MAGA movement's leadership and its core supporters."

They're obviously loaded questions, like the one that says: "Which of the following do you think the MSM lies most about the Republican party?" before providing a list of policy areas without the possibility of disagreeing the MSM are lying.

And they're not just 'do you agree with the statement' questions, they deliberately invite the questionee to respond the way that Trump wants.

This would be a neutral way of phrasing these questions:
"Do you agree or disagree with the following statement, 'The president is the best thing since sliced bread.'
Answers:
Strongly Agree
Agree
Neither agree nor disagree
Disagree
Strongly disagree
Other (Please clarify below.)"

Anyone who has ever had to write questionnaires for school, college, or university should be able to see all the flaws, biases, and loaded questions in the questionnaire.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 21, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »
[many words about how the survey is not sound data science]
What is it with angry liberals and responding to my arguments by violently agreeing with me while trying to phrase it like they disagree?

I definitely don't think it's sound data science. I don't think they're trying to do anything remotely close to science.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #762 on: February 21, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »
[many words about how the survey is not sound data science]
What is it with angry liberals and responding to my arguments by violently agreeing with me while trying to phrase it like they disagree?

I definitely don't think it's sound data science. I don't think they're trying to do anything remotely close to science.

A loaded question isn't just unsound data science. It's a manipulation technique. Even for an informal survey of his supporters, the bias shines through and makes the purpose clear: this survey's only purpose is to support Trump's point of view.

« Reply #763 on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »
are you saying that this survey is methodologically sound data science, or are you saying that it doesn't matter if it's good data science or not?

data science may not have been the optimal choice of words, but i think we're on the same page.  you would agree that the survey is methodologically problematic, i take it.

i can only speak for myself, but i imagine the others would agree: the issue isn't that trump voters are too stupid to make up their own minds about what they believe, or are somehow going to be tricked by this survey into believing something the otherwise wouldn't; it's that we don't understand what value such a methodologically flawed survey could possibly have to creating public policy.  bad data is bad data regardless of how it's appropriated, and it can't be salvaged by the intelligence of the respondents. 

trump has made much of the fact that he 'relies on his own data because everyone else is a dumb liar.'  or something to that effect.  if this is the sort of data that trump is using to make decisions, then that's fucking terrifying.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 21, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
Okay, fair enough. I agree with both Trekky and Gary. Depending on how the survey is used, it could be a very alarming thing. I'm not immediately convinced that it will be used for anything other than an informal feel of the situation, but if it is, that's bad.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #765 on: February 21, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
I mean don't get me wrong, I don't think it's immediately sinister either. At this point I just think it's moronic, as in a "Why are we wasting time on a pointless survey" type of moronic. We're 1 month in and Trump already has to stroke his ego with some dumb online poll?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 21, 2017, 05:07:51 PM »
I mean don't get me wrong, I don't think it's immediately sinister either. At this point I just think it's moronic, as in a "Why are we wasting time on a pointless survey" type of moronic. We're 1 month in and Trump already has to stroke his ego with some dumb online poll?

He held a campaign ralley.  What more does he need as an ego stroke?

Also, his florida resort is now the southern whitehouse...

And apparently, Trump has already cost the tax payers 11 million dollars in security.  Obama cost them about 12 million a year.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #767 on: February 21, 2017, 11:12:17 PM »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #768 on: February 23, 2017, 10:21:56 PM »

« Reply #769 on: February 24, 2017, 03:22:35 AM »
We must not allow a mine shaft gap!

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 24, 2017, 06:55:32 AM »
how to start an arms race

I like how he says he'll get the most and best nukes until the world comes to its senses.

Maybe he should b the first...
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #771 on: February 24, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
Doesn't the US already have the most and best Mike's?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 24, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »

No, it's old and I think Russia has more than us.  We're updating and modernizing them though.  Obama started that. 

« Reply #773 on: February 24, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »

We do have Michael Jordan...
but then again, we also got Michael Moore

Probably a wash

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 24, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #775 on: February 24, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
If everything is a scandal, then nothing is a scandal.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 24, 2017, 07:10:04 PM »
Everything isn't a scandal tho
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 24, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
Another day, another scandal:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/politics/fbi-refused-white-house-request-to-knock-down-recent-trump-russia-stories/

The WH said the FBI said that cnn was wrong.
WH wanted them to publically say so.
FBI said no.

For a department who happily proclaimed Hillary was back under investigation for like a week, it seems like an odd response.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 24, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #779 on: February 25, 2017, 12:05:59 AM »