Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
Question about a specific FE model.
« on: September 19, 2019, 06:00:14 PM »
I have a question about a very specific FE model.

1. The base model is the flat disk ice wall edge model.
2. Within the subset of this model this is the no dome subset model.
3. Within the subset of the flat disk great ice wall no dome model this is the subset where the ice wall has an edge with space outside of the edge. The Earth is finite.
4. Within the rules defined above this model also has has UA as a gravity model.
5. In addition this model does not have a firmament

Now that I have outlined the basics of this model my question is this:

If there is no dome/firmament and the earth had an edge outside of the ice wall and the earth is accelerating upwards is there any documentation, ideas, or theories on what is preventing the air from just flowing off the edge?
In the dome/firmament models that has been used as an explanation as to what prevents the atmosphere from just blowing away.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Question about a specific FE model.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »
If there is no dome/firmament and the earth had an edge outside of the ice wall and the earth is accelerating upwards is there any documentation, ideas, or theories on what is preventing the air from just flowing off the edge?
https://wiki.tfes.org/Atmolayer_Lip_Hypothesis
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »

Here is an error in the page you linked

Take a look at what happens at Antarctica:

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=219

The quoted link doesn't include the word Antartica

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
This appears to be entirely irrelevant to the OP's question. If you want to suggest a correction to the Wiki, you know where to do that.

Also, you may want to read the page instead of searching for keywords.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
This appears to be entirely irrelevant to the OP's question. If you want to suggest a correction to the Wiki, you know where to do that.

Also, you may want to read the page instead of searching for keywords.

Indeed, I missed the whole south pole reference.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:01:35 PM »

Pete I read that.

"If one could move away from the Antarctic rim into the uncharted tundra the surrounding temperatures, and therefore pressures, would drop lower and lower. "

This is assuming that, beyond the ice wall, there is uncharted tundra. In this situation what is happening makes perfect sense.

I'm asking specifically for the models where there is no uncharted tundra beyond the ice wall and the ice wall is the definite edge of the earth not the edge of the area that we have explored.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 07:44:08 AM »
I'm asking specifically for the models where there is no uncharted tundra beyond the ice wall and the ice wall is the definite edge of the earth not the edge of the area that we have explored.
I'm not convinced that those exist, but perhaps I'm missing something. I'll take a step back and let the thread take its course.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 06:00:35 PM »

On this topic, there may need to be some improvement to this article.

The reason the Antarctic features high pressure appears to be related to the low temperature = low pressure physics relationship. Due to the low pressure the weight of the atmosphere is not able to sustain itself at previous levels, and squishes towards the earth, causing the 'high pressure'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_High

The polar highs are areas of high atmospheric pressure around the north and south poles; the north polar high being the stronger one because land gains and loses heat more effectively than sea. The cold temperatures in the polar regions cause air to descend to create the high pressure (a process called subsidence), just as the warm temperatures around the equator cause air to rise to create the low pressure intertropical convergence zone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidence_(atmosphere)

Subsidence, in the Earth's atmosphere, is most commonly caused by a low temperature. As the air cools, it becomes denser and moves towards the ground, as warm air becomes less dense and moves upwards (Atmospheric convection). Subsiding air is cold and dry and rises atmospheric pressure forming a high-pressure or anticyclonic area

Subsidence generally causes high barometric pressure as more air moves into the same space: the polar highs are areas of almost constant subsidence, as are the horse latitudes, and the areas of subsidence are the sources of much of the world's prevailing winds.

This also may explain why the 'high pressures' of the polar areas do not equalize in pressure with the lower pressure of the tropical areas. It could be a physcial and geometric matter related to the weight of the atmolayer.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:06:59 PM by Tom Bishop »