Starting to doubt my faith in globism
« on: April 07, 2021, 08:37:58 PM »
I have been a believer in globe earth for as long as I've been alive. Since I was born, I was taught about the globe earth and I used to be fascinated with studying the planet and its systems. However, now as I grow older I have begun to realize how much we just believe what we are told! There is no more skepticism among todays society and people have become sheltered in their widely accepted viewpoints. I am beginning to accept that we are being lied to.
Can anyone help me on my journey to learn the truth?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
Re: Starting to doubt my faith in globism
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 10:37:34 PM »
... as I grow older I have begun to realize how much we just believe what we are told!

Globe-earther here.

Sure, and why not?

To take a simplistic analogy, if the lumberjack wanders back after a day in the forest, and says he cut down 12 trees, do you take him at his word, or go out there to count them?

If there's a logging system run by all the lumberjack corporations worldwide, so that they keep track of all the trees felled, do you take their summarised statistics as true, or do you traipse all over the forests worldwide to check?

There are a myriad of things that you take for granted, every day of your life, without checking them for yourself.

Why would the shape of the Earth be an exception to this? Why would this be singled out for disbelief?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline NANO

• Professional ranter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:46:21 PM »
... as I grow older I have begun to realize how much we just believe what we are told!

Globe-earther here.

Sure, and why not?

To take a simplistic analogy, if the lumberjack wanders back after a day in the forest, and says he cut down 12 trees, do you take him at his word, or go out there to count them?

If there's a logging system run by all the lumberjack corporations worldwide, so that they keep track of all the trees felled, do you take their summarised statistics as true, or do you traipse all over the forests worldwide to check?

There are a myriad of things that you take for granted, every day of your life, without checking them for yourself.

Why would the shape of the Earth be an exception to this? Why would this be singled out for disbelief?
no, i would not go out to count or trust him.
I CAN use your words against you.
Be careful of what you say.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 09:14:47 PM »
I'm very sorry for you and your lifestyle choices. Many people choose not to settle on such a shallow level of understanding of the world among them, and you shouldn't discourage them just because you're content with a different lifestyle.

To entertain your lumberjack analogy - it's perfectly possible to accept that we don't care about a declarative statement without assuming that it's true. If you choose to believe everything that someone tells you just because the outcome doesn't matter to you, you're gonna find yourself believing a lot of crap.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:17:07 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 04:34:25 AM »
I'm very sorry for you and your lifestyle choices. Many people choose not to settle on such a shallow level of understanding of the world among them, and you shouldn't discourage them just because you're content with a different lifestyle.

To entertain your lumberjack analogy - it's perfectly possible to accept that we don't care about a declarative statement without assuming that it's true. If you choose to believe everything that someone tells you just because the outcome doesn't matter to you, you're gonna find yourself believing a lot of crap.
How about this: how do you KNOW your airbag works? Do you go out and crash your car to see if they activate? Or do you just trust that the company that could lose everything if something happened to you would try to keep you safe?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:47:59 AM »
How about this: how do you KNOW your airbag works?
I test it somewhat regularly, but without the ridiculous "smash your car to test safety functions" approach.

(You've just revealed that you don't test yours, and that you don't know how to go about it - please fix this, you're putting yourself at needless risk, and potentially voiding your insurance claims through your negligence.)

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »
I test it somewhat regularly

Other than by trusting that the car maker's self-diagnostic is working ... how?

Nearly?

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 11:12:10 AM »

How do you know the self-diagnostic is working?
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 11:19:59 AM »

That's what I'm asking Pete. IF he trusts the self-diagnostic.

I think you're making my point for me.

Nearly?

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »

That's what I'm asking Pete. IF he trusts the self-diagnostic.

I think you're making my point for me.
If your point is to make Pete's point more clear, then yes, I am happy to assist!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 01:05:29 PM »
I'm seriously not here to teach you basic car maintenance. This will be covered during your driving lessons.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 02:32:48 PM »
I'm seriously not here to teach you basic car maintenance. This will be covered during your driving lessons.
Wasn't covered in mine. Literally no idea how to test this (although, to be honest, I am clueless about cars).
If you're not crashing your car to test it then what are you doing? Using some tool to test the sensor?
If so then how do you know the tool is accurate? You've just shifted the problem, haven't you?
And this is the fundamental problem. At some point unless you're able to start from first principles you're self - and most people don't have the skills to do that - you're going to have to trust someone or something outside of yourself.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 03:11:13 PM »
You've just revealed that you don't test yours, and that you don't know how to go about it

No, he did not.

Asking you how you test your airbag is not of itself an admission that the questioner does not know, nor that he seeks you to inform him so that he may do it himself. Just wants to know what process you follow. You told us what you DON'T do to test it, how about filling in the detail on what you do?

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 03:15:08 PM »
If so then how do you know the tool is accurate?
Safety-critical tools (a multimeter is arguably one, so let's roll with it) have test procedures which do not rely on the tool itself.

You've just shifted the problem, haven't you?
You shift the problem until it reaches the domain of things that don't matter/things you don't care about. Which, contrary to the question, is not the same as assuming they're true.

You do not skimp on safety or smash your car to check if responds correctly to being smashed. Surely we can all see how idiotic both of these options are.

No, he did not.
Keep this sort of garbage where it belongs. Final warning.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:18:57 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 04:07:06 PM »
Wasn't covered in mine. Literally no idea how to test this (although, to be honest, I am clueless about cars).
If you're not crashing your car to test it then what are you doing? Using some tool to test the sensor?
If so then how do you know the tool is accurate? You've just shifted the problem, haven't you?
And this is the fundamental problem. At some point unless you're able to start from first principles you're self - and most people don't have the skills to do that - you're going to have to trust someone or something outside of yourself.
Are you unfamiliar with a set of checks (flowchart, yes or no)?

Ultimately, it is you who are responsible for what you accept or don't accept, regardless of situation.