Rama Set

Re: John Hampden, and how well his rudeness worked out for him
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »
Rather than playing a game of "aha!" can't we all just try and get the history correct?

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
Rather than playing a game of "aha!" can't we all just try and get the history correct?
I think Garwood's book does get the history correct, replete with citations. It's less than 10 bucks now.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Thork

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
I think Hampden got off on appeal. Is that what you mean?
You might want to read up on that before posting another mistake.

Garwood, Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea is clear: stating that Hampden was convicted and spent 9 months of a one-year prison sentence.
And there is the problem. One year? PPs book shows 2. Garwood has a track record of being economical with the truth as well.
So you're now admitting to another error. You are wrong. Hampden was in prision twice.
Instead of working out what you think I know, why don't you just go hunt down the truth. I don't think he ever served a long term. I didn't think he'd even been in for one week, but I guess that usually happens when you have your conviction over turned whilst you wait.

I think Garwood's book does get the history correct, replete with citations. It's less than 10 bucks now.
Its practically toilet paper. Its a pretty awful book and is strewn with errors.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »
I think Hampden got off on appeal. Is that what you mean?
You might want to read up on that before posting another mistake.

Garwood, Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea is clear: stating that Hampden was convicted and spent 9 months of a one-year prison sentence.
And there is the problem. One year? PPs book shows 2. Garwood has a track record of being economical with the truth as well.
So you're now admitting to another error. You are wrong. Hampden was in prision twice.
Instead of working out what you think I know, why don't you just go hunt down the truth. I don't think he ever served a long term. I didn't think he'd even been in for one week, but I guess that usually happens when you have your conviction over turned whilst you wait.

Its practically toilet paper. Its a pretty awful book and is strewn with errors.
I will continue point out your errors, especially with PP's help. I have the Truth, but when I present it FEers ust whine.

No one here is going to buy your outlandish claim that Garwood wrote an awful book strewn with errors without unbiased, accurate logic. You should in particular learn to stop using ad hominem fallacies.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
I'm sure that Ms. Garwood would be eternally grateful if you would provide her with the appropriate, credible documentation so that she can properly correct any errors that she made.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2014, 08:32:09 PM »
So I have had time to do some research of my own. Garwood is wrong as usual. He did not do 9 months. He only did 6. I'm surprised at this because I'd imagine it would dent his momentum, and I knew he never let up until the day he died. God loves a trier, and so does Thork. :D

Quote from: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/library/newspaperandmagazine/He%20Knew%20the%20Earth%20Is%20Round%20(Schadewald).pdf
John Hampden
Needless to say, Hampden soon had an opportunity to explain this letter to a judge. He explained that some young friends of his were very much disturbed about the way Wallace had treated him, and that, fearing violence, he had tried to warn Wallace. The judge was sceptical and ordered John to put up £100 as surety that he would keep the peace for three months, and also to find two other sureties at £50 apiece. Hampden spent a week in jail before he was able to find the two additional sureties.

Criminal libel became a habit with Hampden, and in the next four years he was convicted three times. The first time he got oS by apologizing to Wallace in several newspapers. The second time he was ordered to print another apology and to keep the peace, but the judge neglected to confiscate his ink bottle, and the never peaceful John was soon sentenced to two months in Newgate prison. On the third occasion the disgusted judge sent him up for a year. He was released in six months.

My next research will be on this
Quote from: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/library/newspaperandmagazine/He%20Knew%20the%20Earth%20Is%20Round%20(Schadewald).pdf
To believers in England Hampden became a hero, a David who had wildly attacked Goliath and been diddled out of his victory. Besides his other activities, he founded and edited three short-lived flat-Earth magazines and wrote many articles and pamphlets. In these, he vilified youknow-who, exposed the "OTors" of Newton, unveiled his interpretation of the laws of nature, defended his military genius, denounced atmospheric pressure as an “absurdity" and announced the impending
end of the world. It came for him on January 22, 1891.
I have no idea how he was connected to the military or what he did.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:34:26 PM by Thork »

Thork

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
So I have had time to do some research of my own. Garwood is wrong as usual. He did not do 9 months. He only did 6. I'm surprised at this because I'd imagine it would dent his momentum, and I knew he never let up until the day he died. God loves a trier, and so does Thork. :D

John Hampden
Needless to say, Hampden soon had an opportunity to explain this letter to a judge. He explained that some young friends of his were very much disturbed about the way Wallace had treated him, and that, fearing violence, he had tried to warn Wallace. The judge was sceptical and ordered John to put up £100 as surety that he would keep the peace for three months, and also to find two other sureties at £50 apiece. Hampden spent a week in jail before he was able to find the two additional sureties.

Criminal libel became a habit with Hampden, and in the next four years he was convicted three times. The first time he got oS by apologizing to Wallace in several newspapers. The second time he was ordered to print another apology and to keep the peace, but the judge neglected to confiscate his ink bottle, and the never peaceful John was soon sentenced to two months in Newgate prison. On the third occasion the disgusted judge sent him up for a year. He was released in six months.

My next research will be on this
To believers in England Hampden became a hero, a David who had wildly attacked Goliath and been diddled out of his victory. Besides his other activities, he founded and edited three short-lived flat-Earth magazines and wrote many articles and pamphlets. In these, he vilified youknow-who, exposed the "OTors" of Newton, unveiled his interpretation of the laws of nature, defended his military genius, denounced atmospheric pressure as an “absurdity" and announced the impending
end of the world. It came for him on January 22, 1891.
I have no idea how he was connected to the military or what he did.
So you started out at no prison time, then a week, then six months. Now you fail to add up the three prison terms in the very evidence you present. Would you please take the time to complete your research, add up all terms, and then make declarations. Thanks.

Oh, and according to Garwood, Hampden designed military machines.

Thork

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »
I'm not interested in your bickering.
This I am interested in. Garwood ... now I have my doubts. So many people quote her and she makes so much of it up.

And extended quote because the first paragraph is on topic and fun
Quote from: http://www.gerald-massey.org.uk/adams/c_autobiog11.htm
Mr. Proctor is the only man in England who has degraded himself by defending the swindler Wallace."  Mr. Proctor had written something about the origin of whales; whereupon Mr. Hampden wrote to him direct:—"If you would endeavour to describe the origin of liars and impostors, you would find they came into the world when the Pagan lunatics devised the shape of the world.  If whales are derived from pigs, according to your theory, you must have been foaled by an ass!"

Mr. Empson E. Middleton, a disciple of the same school as Mr. Hampden, was also a frequent correspondent of the Weekly Chronicle.  Who and what else he was Mr. Middleton explained in a pamphlet which he printed in 1876.  There he described himself as "the Poet, Geometrician, Metaphysician, Lecturer, and Patentee in Yacht and Ship Building, E. E. Middleton, Esq., member of the Royal Canoe Club, London; the Royal Albert Yacht Club, Southsea; and the Naval and Military Club, London."
Its things like this that Garwood often just misreads. Is it Hampden who is the military genius or his friend?

Love to find some of his machines. A picture or description.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »
I'm not interested in your bickering.
This I am interested in. Garwood ... now I have my doubts. So many people quote her and she makes so much of it up.

And extended quote because the first paragraph is on topic and fun
Quote from: http://www.gerald-massey.org.uk/adams/c_autobiog11.htm
Mr. Proctor is the only man in England who has degraded himself by defending the swindler Wallace."  Mr. Proctor had written something about the origin of whales; whereupon Mr. Hampden wrote to him direct:—"If you would endeavour to describe the origin of liars and impostors, you would find they came into the world when the Pagan lunatics devised the shape of the world.  If whales are derived from pigs, according to your theory, you must have been foaled by an ass!"

Mr. Empson E. Middleton, a disciple of the same school as Mr. Hampden, was also a frequent correspondent of the Weekly Chronicle.  Who and what else he was Mr. Middleton explained in a pamphlet which he printed in 1876.  There he described himself as "the Poet, Geometrician, Metaphysician, Lecturer, and Patentee in Yacht and Ship Building, E. E. Middleton, Esq., member of the Royal Canoe Club, London; the Royal Albert Yacht Club, Southsea; and the Naval and Military Club, London."
Its things like this that Garwood often just misreads. Is it Hampden who is the military genius or his friend?

Love to find some of his machines. A picture or description.
Surely a laid-off commercial jet pilot could afford his own copy of Garwood's work. See: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0330432893/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2014, 01:15:19 AM »
Well, I just ordered one for myself. £2.80 with free one-day delivery (thanks, free Amazon Prime trial!)

I'm going to forget to cancel all those free trials, aren't I?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2014, 02:49:14 AM »
Well, I just ordered one for myself. £2.80 with free one-day delivery (thanks, free Amazon Prime trial!)

I'm going to forget to cancel all those free trials, aren't I?
Great. Now once you have one I'll respect your opinion of it.

Also, I recall on the old site that a benevolent REer sent out copies when the book (hardbound) first came out to FEers.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 04:25:28 AM »
Due to some shenanigans with Amazon I will now be getting 2 copies of the book, so I could also potentially donate one to a member here, or a local library. I haven't decided quite yet, but if someone feels like they'd make particularly good use of the book, feel free to get in touch.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume