Mysfit

Re: The Coriolis Effect - Wiki Page
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »
This is more about the gyrocompass, which is a separate subject than the Coriolis Effect.

It operates on slight weight changes.

https://books.google.com/books?id=PiEDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA91&ots=s0slhdUupv&pg=PA91#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm not sure that's the best image to relay how the gyrocompass works from a flat perspective.
It shows the rotation of a spherical earth and how gravity affects the compass. That's 3 wrongs, which I assume still don't make a right.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
I'm not sure that's the best image to relay how the gyrocompass works from a flat perspective.
It shows the rotation of a spherical earth and how gravity affects the compass. That's 3 wrongs, which I assume still don't make a right.

I don't see a flat earth in that image. What makes you think that the image was being presented from a flat perspective and was not merely informational on how the gyrocompass supposedly works?

Mysfit

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
I don't see a flat earth in that image. What makes you think that the image was being presented from a flat perspective and was not merely informational on how the gyrocompass supposedly works?
I generally assume a flat earther is on the side of flat earth, as the opposite is assumed from myself.
You are also responding to someone trying to correct something on the wiki, which is for flat theory.

Apologies for the assumption.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 11:03:38 PM »
That is, the Earth does not rotate: only the Coriolis effect of the ether drift was registered by the fringe shifts of the interferometer.

This paper, though quite old, is for a calculator of sorts for ballistic missile guidance used by the US Army.

Page 5: “The program takes into account air resistance, the variation of the gravitational and centrifugal field with latitude, and earth’s rotation.”

Page 14, Equation 24, “kc  = Coriolis Effect"

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/414825.pdf

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 03:33:01 AM »
That is, the Earth does not rotate: only the Coriolis effect of the ether drift was registered by the fringe shifts of the interferometer.

This paper, though quite old, is for a calculator of sorts for ballistic missile guidance used by the US Army.

What evidence is there that it is used by the US Army?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:35:53 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 05:27:07 AM »
I doubt a 1960's Fortran program is still in use today. But from the document:

Page 5: "The program is run on the IBM 1410 computer. It is being adapted for use on the IBM 1620 computer for use by the Army.”

Document declassified by the Department of Defense.