Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Anime thread
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Just out of curiosity. Not trying to stir shit up.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
Are you people watching with subs or dubs?
I generally watch with subs. I reserve dubs for special cases such as Genocyber or Angel Cop, which would probably be impossible to sit through without the hilarious English voice acting. The latter is even funnier when you realise that the English translation actually changes the story to make the bad guys communists and not Jews.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »
Are you people watching with subs or dubs?

I usually watch subbed unless I've been imprinted with the dub already.  For example: DBZ sub sounds weird as does Berserk sub.  So I only watch those dubbed.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »
People always hate how Goku and his sons sounds like women.
The Mastery.

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2014, 02:15:55 PM »
I typically watch everything subbed. Like Dave, I make exceptions to things that I'm already used to dubbed.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »
Subbed. I even go back on old stuff to watch the subbed versions. It always seems like you miss a lot of the real story when it's dubbed.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
I only watch dubs. I refuse to read my way through an animated storybook.

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
I watch subs where I have to and dubs where I can, unless it compromises the quality. So far it seems like every dub I have watched has been damn good.

Ghost of V

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »
Lol you guys are anime snobs

I only watch dubbed if possible. I find it easier to relate to characters when they are speaking my language.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2014, 07:35:11 PM »

I only watch dubbed if possible. I find it easier to relate to characters when they are speaking my language.
Are you able to relate to characters in books when you are just reading the language?

Ghost of V

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »

Are you able to relate to characters in books when you are just reading the language?

Nope.

Well yes. But I find the Japanese yelling and screaming distracting. I'll watch subbed if there's no dub, but I prefer dubbed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:03:48 PM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2014, 01:40:47 AM »
You're a weirdo. I watched AoT without the dub, and besides missing half of the episode looking at the bottom of the screen, I never found it hard to relate to the characters.

I never understood the fascination with watching things only with subs. I see it from time to time and it just strikes me as some weird hardcore weeaboo thing.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2014, 01:53:11 AM »
I agree. I don't think it's an absolute rule that subs are better than dubs. I mean, Cowboy Bebop is a popular example that directly refutes it, but it is kind of a special case given that it is heavily oriented towards western pop culture. It's the same for The Big O, which obviously owes a lot to film noir. I also agree with Dave, it's not so easy for me to watch stuff I first encountered in Eng dub in the original Japanese, though it can be interesting to compare the two. At the same time, I do feel like the Japanese is more natural sounding in most anime, especially since a lot of it deals directly with Japanese culture and is in some cases inspired design-wise by traditional Japanese art and theatre.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2014, 03:16:31 AM »
Crudblud hit on it.

I'm definitely not a hardcore weeaboo. Japanese culture is probably my least favorite of the eastern world.

Subs just seem more natural and the voice acting is usually better (not always). And like I said before, when comparing the two I notice that a lot of details are missed with dubbing. For the shows I typically watch, the dubs are also more PG than the Japanese script which is pretty lame. After a few minutes I forget I'm even reading anything. The only downside is that you have to always be watching,  obviously. I can't run into the kitchen and grab a beer without missing something.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:38:16 AM by rooster »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2014, 03:17:56 AM »
You're a weirdo. I watched AoT without the dub, and besides missing half of the episode looking at the bottom of the screen, I never found it hard to relate to the characters.

I never understood the fascination with watching things only with subs. I see it from time to time and it just strikes me as some weird hardcore weeaboo thing.

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure only hardcore anime fans watch with subs because only hardcore anime fans ever encounter anime that wasn't dubbed. I watched Fullmetal Alchemist/Cowboy Bepop because it was on TV and mainstream television networks don't show subbed titles. I avoid pretty much all foreign language films, not just anime. If I wanted to read something I'd read a book.

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2014, 03:36:39 AM »

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure only hardcore anime fans watch with subs because only hardcore anime fans ever encounter anime that wasn't dubbed. I watched Fullmetal Alchemist/Cowboy Bepop because it was on TV and mainstream television networks don't show subbed titles. I avoid pretty much all foreign language films, not just anime. If I wanted to read something I'd read a book.

It's just a feeling I've come across while browsing online anime social groups. Some people seem to think that you should watch everything subbed because the dub is terrible and not the way it was made. I've seen people saying this about Cowboy Bebop, which is just bizarre.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2014, 03:46:33 AM »
Well those things are true. Dubbing is usually awful regardless of the language and it's not how the show/movie was made.

But I don't see how that makes someone a hardcore weeaboo. I would say the same of any foreign dubbed movie or show. But I also don't care if someone rather watch dubbed anime cause I'm not a jerk.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2014, 04:41:36 AM »
The only thing that bothers me about dubs is more often than not the characters mouth motions clearly don't line up to their english speech. This was especially prevalent in Akira because the scenes were drawn individually.

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2014, 05:22:05 AM »
Well those things are true. Dubbing is usually awful regardless of the language and it's not how the show/movie was made.

But I don't see how that makes someone a hardcore weeaboo. I would say the same of any foreign dubbed movie or show. But I also don't care if someone rather watch dubbed anime cause I'm not a jerk.

confirmed for hardcore weeaboo

I haven't seen a terrible lot of anime but I've never seen a dub that bothered me. Actually, I've seen an AoT dub and I flat out don't like some of the VO's used, but I'm not sure if it was official or not.

The only thing that bothers me about dubs is more often than not the characters mouth motions clearly don't line up to their english speech. This was especially prevalent in Akira because the scenes were drawn individually.

The advantage of anime here is that the mouth movement is pretty indistinct already.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2014, 05:33:35 AM »
It depends on the anime. In some you can get over pretty quickly, in others that often have a single character as the scene center, it can get really obnoxious to notice that their mouth is completely out of sync with their speech.