Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: REQUEST FOR COMMENTS: Reunification Proposal
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2015, 01:00:55 AM »
If the results of this poll are overwhelming negative...  will this be taken into consideration?
I can't answer that with authority, since if it happened we'd have to talk it through with Daniel, but personally I wouldn't want to force our administration upon the other site's members if they really don't want it.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2015, 03:34:29 AM »
Looks like we don't have to worry about that. The poll is overwhelmingly positive, so far

I'm just hoping that all those votes aren't from members here. I'd like to see what the .org only members think specifically, but didn't want to make the poll too restrictive.

Even were that the case, it would be a demonstration of complete apathy from the other forum. So long as they aren't against it, I'd say we're golden.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
I wish we would continue to use our logo. It's so much easier to look at.
I'd like to second this. Our theme and logo is way more pleasant.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
I wish we would continue to use our logo. It's so much easier to look at.
I'd like to second this. Our theme and logo is way more pleasant.

It's the same theme.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »
It's the same theme.
I know the background is the same. Maybe it's just the logo then that makes the layout look slightly different. It kinda looks slightly bigger in general, but that might just be the logo deceiving me.

So just the logo then. Let's keep the logo.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
I know the background is the same. Maybe it's just the logo then that makes the layout look slightly different. It kinda looks slightly bigger in general, but that might just be the logo deceiving me.

Our theme is modified to be a bit wider (though it doesn't scale well to narrow windows, something I've been meaning to fix). That might be what's giving you that impression, and we're going to keep using our (minor) modifications to the theme after the merge.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2015, 10:04:52 PM »
I've also made the top bar taller to accommodate a slightly larger logo, the search bar, etc.

Offline Gayer

• I am a cunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
So when are we going to be reunified?

« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2015, 09:11:40 AM »
With that in mind, by a very clear majority vote, I'm pleased to announce that tfes.org accepts the proposal. Assuming theflatearthsociety.org accepts it as well (which I believe they already did, but I'll ask for a formal confirmation), we'll begin working on the forum merger as soon as possible. This will be slowed down by several factors:
  • Parsifal's currently on his NZ trip.
  • We need access to the server on which theflatearthsociety.org is hosted. Since Daniel shares this host with other people, he said he'd like to first move the site away from the shared server so that he can give us full access without compromising the other people's stuff.
  • When those two things are out of the way, we should be able to start developing a solution to effectively merge the two fora. This shouldn't take long, but it will take some time and effort.

But, for the time being, as soon as I get confirmation from Daniel that their side accepts these terms, the societies are formally reunified!

Offline Gayer

• I am a cunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2015, 11:03:46 AM »
Well hooray then.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2015, 05:21:23 AM »
  • The Society
    • President/VP - Daniel will be the President of the reunited society. Lord Wilmore will be the Vice President. These positions are at Daniel's discretion.
      • The Zetetic Council - A democratically-elected body of 5 members will be electable yearly. They will be officially recognised as such within the Society and will therefore be expected to act as its legitimate representatives. Their exact remit and structure of the council will be established post-reunification (and pre-election) through a general agreement of all members of the Society and forum regulars (unless they deem that such a body is unnecessary). In principle, they will be a decision-making organ of the society wherever possible (e.g. not in charge of membership and merchandise - see below). Daniel will retain veto power over the ZC's decisions.
So the council has to be elected but the president doesn't? And nor does his Vice? How does that work?

If we have a despot in charge, call him that. Presidents are elected. Also, we've had Daniel for 10 years and he does very little. Even the United States gets rid of a president after 8 years. Lets have a change. Why are we stuck with Daniel? He does nothing, contributes nothing, doesn't know anything about flat earth history or the theories ... why are we stuck with him forever and ever? Fuck him. We don't need him.

• Merchandise - This remains within Daniel's remit and will likely operate as it does currently on theflatearthsociety.org, under the condition that it will be performed at no profit. After reunification, we may investigate alternative pathways (e.g. Zazzle/CafePress), should there be significant demand for such a development.
So the most flaky, unreliable and perpetually absent member of the society is the person we put in charge of distributing goods when people give REAL money for them? Come on. This is ridiculous. It has always been a great source of embarrassment how people can give money to the society and Daniel trousers it for 4 months and no one can get hold of him. Give the job to someone else.

There. Not so bad. Only disliked two of the suggestions so we aren't a million miles away.

The thing is, Daniel hasn't moved a jot. He still wants to be the President, still wants control over the main site and all financial control. He wants it all, and wants everyone else to just run it all for him whilst he does very little other than get in the way. Why are we so desperate to put up with all his crap again? If you like his way of doing things, post over there. If you don't, stay here. Why are our choices being limited? I don't want Daniel in charge of a site that I like using. He will not change, he will not compromise, he is just a domain squatter. We don't need him or Wilmore. Neither contribute anything any more. Its time they handed over the reigns. They won't. Leave them to rot over there.

The problem with Daniel is that he isn't accountable to anyone, and he doesn't give a shit about anyone else's opinions. Lets not put him in that position of power again. He abuses it.[/list][/list]

I couldn't agree more. 

« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2015, 07:33:40 AM »
Thork's quite wrong in the second part of that quote.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »
Everything he remarked there is accurate according to my experience, and I've been using that forum since 2005.

Be that as it may, everything Thork said about Daniel will apply to this forum if it unites with him.
This website evidently has sincere people and is apparently better moderated and thus has had far more potential than is possible for Daniel which makes it unfortunate that the dog returns to its vomit.

That reunion will tend only to make me shy away from serious commitment to this forum.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:29:48 AM by Dionysios »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »
Despite numerous attempts at explaining what is being said here, people still seem not to follow.

Be that as it may, everything Thork said about Daniel will apply to this forum if it unites with him
It won't, because Daniel will have no control of the forum whatsoever. He'll be no more of a threat than Thork is right now.

This website evidently has sincere people and is apparently better moderated and thus has had far more potential than is possible for Daniel
We are maintaining our current moderation team after the reunification. We are maintaining everything as it is currently. All the forum is getting is a 10-year backlog of posts and an expanded memberbase.

That reunion will tend only to make me shy away from serious commitment to this forum.
So long as you make sure to base your decision on actual information and not Thork's impotent attempts at sabotaging this forum, fair enough.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:26:00 PM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2015, 03:42:35 AM »
Forgive me as I surely do hope your forum does benefit in the long run.

I considered what you have written, and I reckon you are correct as long as you or Parsifal are the key administrators with ultimate control over the forum rather than Daniel in case of any future breakup. That is vital.

Daniel has made literature available online.
I'll give him that much, but I do think it is foolish for you to throw away the library which you already have and not also retain an independent duplicate of his on your own server. That is my suggestion to you.

Daniel's society has always been worthless.
If being the leader of that strokes his ego, then by all means, let him have it.

Although Chiang kai Shek was a fascist who oppressed all of China, the Chinese communists united with this monster to fight the Japanese, their common enemy during World War II. When the war was over and the Japanese were defeated, the communists were much stronger than before the war while Chiang Kai Shek's position had become much weaker.

As long as you retain control over the forum and this is strengthened by receiving his database, then I can see your wisdom in joining forces with him.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »
We have agreed for Daniel to have ownership of the home page and library, but we've also made sure that regular members will have an easy way of direct contribution. From my point of view, the only risk is that Daniel might pull the plug on something, but honestly I doubt that'd ever happen.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »
We have agreed for Daniel to have ownership of the home page and library, but we've also made sure that regular members will have an easy way of direct contribution. From my point of view, the only risk is that Daniel might pull the plug on something, but honestly I doubt that'd ever happen.

Will you and Parsifal lose ultimate ownership of this forum in case of a split?
If that means that Daniel will have ownership of the forum, then you are gaining nothing and the whole deal is very foolish for you.
Daniel is slick. Don't base the merger on his good will.

I knew two brothers who each owned 24% of Johnny Becnel Farms. Johnny Becnel himself owned 52%. (That tells you something right there.)
This business owned a set of buildings, tractors, and orange groves. It also rented a lot of farm land for a pittance.
Ultimately, the brothers split from Becnel and Johnny Becnel Farms dissolved. It turned out that Johnny Becnel Farms legally only rented the farm land. The tractors, buildings, and orange groves were actually personal property of Johnny Becnel himself which is different from Johnny Becnel Farms. These two brothers had nothing to show for all of their years of work, and they seem very much like you and Parsifal down the road.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »
No, Daniel won't own the forum.  It will be on Parsifal and pizaaplanet's server, and so they will have full ownership of it.  I suppose a hostile Daniel could close the front page and library, but in terms of "splitting," the only thing he could do is leave.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
Will you and Parsifal lose ultimate ownership of this forum in case of a split?
No. The forum will remain on a server owned and controlled by Parsifal (either where it currently is or a new VPS dedicated to hosting FES). While we want to build this merger on the atmosphere of mutual trust, I feel that we've taken sufficient precautions in case things go wrong.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:10:01 PM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2015, 12:26:21 AM »
Good.