Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
Re: Length of a day in the Southern Hemisphere in December
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 04:45:38 PM »
Of course, would have to go there to verify. I prefer more warm and humid climates though, so I'll be setting this one aside for now.

There are plenty of warm, humid locations in South America.  You don't have to go all the way to Antarctica to observe how the southern hemisphere experience refutes the flat earth model.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 05:06:45 PM »
Of course, would have to go there to verify. I prefer more warm and humid climates though, so I'll be setting this one aside for now.

There are plenty of warm, humid locations in South America.  You don't have to go all the way to Antarctica to observe how the southern hemisphere experience refutes the flat earth model.

I hear the Amazon Rain Forest is slightly warm and humid.

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2016, 03:47:02 PM »

I hear the Amazon Rain Forest is slightly warm and humid.

Durban South Africa has over 14 hours sunshine on 21 December plus 3 hours of twilight, and I can assure you it will be warm and humid at that time of year.

Offline nametaken

• ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2016, 11:13:27 PM »
. . . . . . . . .
Any thoughts? I just remember in this thread someone said it was absurd that the sun is on the 'other side' of the world when it rises in Southern Hemisphere, and I had the time to mull it over and chew on it, and it makes sense now to me on a Flat Plane, if the sun is close it would be noticeable and observable in Southern Hemisphere. Tangentially, it would make sense that it is so much colder in AA; which it is. The global record low temperatures are all in the antarctic.

Anyway the shape of FE debates are always ad hoc, so improvised responses can be hard, I guess. Sorry for being so late with this, I had to put a lot of thought into it.

Remember that in mid-summer (21 Dec) McMurdo Station, Antarctica - (@ Lat, long of 77.8419° S, 166.6863° E) has daylight at around 1:50 AM on 21/Dec, with the sun due South,
Invercargill, New Zealand (@ Lat, long of 46.4132° S, 168.3538° E) is in complete darkness at the same time (sunset @ 9:39 PM, sunruse 5:50 AM).

Fits perfectly with the Globe, but please explain how this fits with your "musings".

Huh, I forgot to mention, this is impossible not only on the Flat Earth but the globe as well.

"Earth's obliquity oscillates between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees on a 41,000-year cycle. It is currently 23°26′13.6″ (or 23.43711°) and decreasing." - wikipedia.

Maybe my calculations are wrong (I'm using 2 balls as physical representation), but I checked in google earth as well. With a 23 degree tilt, there is no way the sun will ever be viewed as "in the south" much farther south than the tropic of Capricorn. This not only disproves Flat Earth sun mechanics, but Globe as well!

Maybe I'm wrong but this is what I'm seeing; the claim that the sun is viewed due south from Antarctica would require a near-full 90 degree tilt! From the other side of the ball, looking south, it matches up. McMurdo Station, Antarctica on the other side in December, I assume? Well obviously it must be. It matches up like that. In which case disregard. It does go south due to rotation on the 23 degree axis. I was going to delete this post but in case someone is responding, yeah I went there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:49:02 PM by nametaken »
The Flat Earth Society has members all around the Globe
[H]ominem unius libri timeo ~Truth is stranger.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2016, 12:04:06 AM »
. . . . . . . . .
Any thoughts? I just remember in this thread someone said it was absurd that the sun is on the 'other side' of the world when it rises in Southern Hemisphere, and I had the time to mull it over and chew on it, and it makes sense now to me on a Flat Plane, if the sun is close it would be noticeable and observable in Southern Hemisphere. Tangentially, it would make sense that it is so much colder in AA; which it is. The global record low temperatures are all in the antarctic.

Anyway the shape of FE debates are always ad hoc, so improvised responses can be hard, I guess. Sorry for being so late with this, I had to put a lot of thought into it.

Remember that in mid-summer (21 Dec) McMurdo Station, Antarctica - (@ Lat, long of 77.8419° S, 166.6863° E) has daylight at around 1:50 AM on 21/Dec, with the sun due South,
Invercargill, New Zealand (@ Lat, long of 46.4132° S, 168.3538° E) is in complete darkness at the same time (sunset @ 9:39 PM, sunruse 5:50 AM).

Fits perfectly with the Globe, but please explain how this fits with your "musings".

Huh, I forgot to mention, this is impossible not only on the Flat Earth but the globe as well.

"Earth's obliquity oscillates between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees on a 41,000-year cycle. It is currently 23°26′13.6″ (or 23.43711°) and decreasing." - wikipedia.

Maybe my calculations are wrong (I'm using 2 balls as physical representation), but I checked in google earth as well. With a 23 degree tilt, there is no way the sun will ever be viewed as "in the south" much farther south than the tropic of Capricorn. This not only disproves Flat Earth sun mechanics, but Globe as well!

Maybe I'm wrong but this is what I'm seeing; the claim that the sun is viewed due south from Antarctica would require a near-full 90 degree tilt! From the other side looking south, it matches up. McMurdo Station, Antarctica on the other side in December, I assume?

You claim "this is impossible not only on the Flat Earth but the globe as well". Really I don't think there is any problem with the globe.

You must remember that the sun's distance from the earth is very much greater than the diameter of the earth, about 11,700 times! This makes it a bit hard maling or drawing to scale.

But, you don't need "2 balls as physical representation" as you already have one - the sun

Wikipedia gives these crude diagrams of the northern and southern summer solstice angles

Illumination of Earth by Sun at the northern solstice.

Illumination of Earth by Sun at the southern solstice.

It is easy to see on that diagram how:
On the Antarctic Circle the sun "rises" due south, at 00:00 local time, reaches a maximum elevation of about 47° at 12:00 (noon) and "sets" due south
At the South Pole the sun circles at an elevation of about 23.5°.

According to    SunEarthTools.com
at McMurdo station, 77.8419° S, 166.6863° E, on 21/December/2015:
at 23:51 local time the sun was at an elevation of 11.28° and azimuth of 180° (due south) and
at 11:51 local time the sun was at an elevation of 35.59° and azimuth of 0° (due north).

These all fit with what I would expect on the globe, but would appear quite impossibel on the "Ice Wall" map Flat Earth Model.

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »
Again, indisputable, so FE silenced! The simple fact is that the Southern Hemisphere is a complete embarrassment to FE'ers! Their model could never work on what is observed from, or distances travelled in, the Southern Hemisphere! I propose a new flat earth map. It is actually 2 maps, one with the current map up to the equator and a second one for the Southern Hemisphere with Antarctica in the center, but they are linked together on the equator by a dimensional rift so that you can travel between the maps via the equator, and sunlight is also able to skip dimensions. Oh crap, someone may take this seriously.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 11:50:52 PM »
Again, indisputable, so FE silenced! The simple fact is that the Southern Hemisphere is a complete embarrassment to FE'ers! Their model could never work on what is observed from, or distances travelled in, the Southern Hemisphere! I propose a new flat earth map. It is actually 2 maps, one with the current map up to the equator and a second one for the Southern Hemisphere with Antarctica in the center, but they are linked together on the equator by a dimensional rift so that you can travel between the maps via the equator, and sunlight is also able to skip dimensions. Oh crap, someone may take this seriously.

Maybe I should emulate narcberry who is currently making lots of completely unsupported FE "pronouncements on TheFlatEarthSociety.org like:
The sun after/before twilight is behind a lot more of earths atmosphere than the stars are, the stars emit different light, and i don't know why I'm having to explain any of this.
That doesn't explain how the sun stays the same size as it supposedly moves away, perspective dictates it would get smaller.  Nor does it explain how the sun gradually dips below the horizon instead of blending with it.  In fact I can't really see what it does explain.

The sun is a convex mirror reflecting starlight along a uniform path - that unique optical property makes it appear the same size at varying distances.
Then claims "Clear victory for FE".
Evidence, evidence wot evidence, who needs evidence?
Wow!