Ghost of V

Re: Getting a new smartphone
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2015, 02:35:02 AM »
What games are you playing on that N64 emulator?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2015, 02:40:02 AM »
What games are you playing on that N64 emulator?

Mostly just Super Mario or Perfect Dark (being my favorite N64 game). The Razr Maxx actually had serious trouble playing Perfect Dark even on low resolution settings, but the Turbo seems to crush it like a boss since it has a GPU that nearly rivals a Playstation 2.

I play lots of others too, but Mario and PD always seem to stick around.

Ghost of V

« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2015, 02:43:22 AM »
I use my PSP as an emulator device, since it has buttons... it has trouble with Star Fox 64, Perfect Dark, and Super Mario 64. I can't stand playing games that were meant to be played with a controller on a touchscreen, so I usually avoid mobile emulation. There are controllers out there built for mobile devices, though... and WiiMotes and Ps3 controllers can be bluetoothed in as well, so that's cool.

Perfect Dark is one of the best games on N64 indeed. Farsight XR-20 for life.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2015, 04:11:40 AM »
I use my PSP as an emulator device, since it has buttons... it has trouble with Star Fox 64, Perfect Dark, and Super Mario 64. I can't stand playing games that were meant to be played with a controller on a touchscreen, so I usually avoid mobile emulation. There are controllers out there built for mobile devices, though... and WiiMotes and Ps3 controllers can be bluetoothed in as well, so that's cool.

I admit without the already heavy auto-aim in the game I wouldn't be able to play it on the touchscreen. While I would like to have a controller, it would be a bit obnoxious lugging one around all day. I would only bother to bring one on something like a long flight, but then I'd just have my laptop anyway, so ultimately there's no point.

Perfect Dark is one of the best games on N64 indeed. Farsight XR-20 for life.

It's a shame no gun like it will ever be in a multiplayer game again, being the most cheapass gun in existence n' all.

Ghost of V

« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »
It's a shame no gun like it will ever be in a multiplayer game again, being the most cheapass gun in existence n' all.

I think we need to start blueprints on a gun like this for real life.

Bye bye terrorist hostage situations.

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2015, 12:49:09 AM »
So your battery life can be worse than an iPhone.

I don't understand what you guys are doing with your phone that makes battery life even a relevant thing to look for. I'm playing a N64 emulator quite a lot and the battery still lasts until the next day (and that was on my Razr maxx, which has a smaller battery than the Turbo), the hell are other people doing with their phone? Running Folding@home mobile edition?

Seriously, I want to know.

My OnePlus One lasts about a day under heavy use with 3G running. It's pretty durable doing just about anything else, but I use 3G most of the time on the phone so I can't really expect much more.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2015, 11:22:55 PM »
>3G
>Two thousand and fifteen, year of our lord and savior Jesus Christ

Ghost of V

« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2015, 11:23:35 PM »
>3G

You should see his internet connection. It's criminal.

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2015, 05:14:14 AM »
>3G

I live in a country filled with luddites that pay $50/month for an iPhone and 1gig of data. Cheap 3G plans are your best bet for internet on the go as wifi is pretty scarce.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
Yep, picked up a Oneplus One for $460 AUD. Tech specs better than most everything on the market while still maintaining comparable battery life to the S5, comes with CM11 and 64GB on board data. Hopefully it holds up better than my shitty S4 did.
I just got an invite for one of those from a friend of a friend (begging on Facebook works - who knew?). Since I broke my Chinaphone half a year ago, I've been using a shitty dumbphone, so I'm looking forward to this regardless of how it turns out.

You got an invite? How?
If you're still looking for one, I'll make sure to let you know if I get one. Apparently they assign them at random to customers, so this may or may not ever happen.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
We'll see. They've actually been throwing several invites at me, probably hoping I'll eventually claim one.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »
I've been looking into this myself.  I need a new phone and so does the wife but we can't afford 2 at once. (she has apple and doesn't want to switch).  I'd be happy with something that had better battery life, 2 gb of RAM, and 32GB of storage.  But so far they're just beyond my price rage. 

I'm also looking at stuff for a friend of mine who bought a phone offline, unlocked, but it still had bloatware on it that he can't remove.  Are these phones rooted?  Are any?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2015, 05:24:50 PM »
If you're still looking for one, I'll make sure to let you know if I get one. Apparently they assign them at random to customers, so this may or may not ever happen.
Were you the 1,000,000th visitor to someone's site?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
I'm also looking at stuff for a friend of mine who bought a phone offline, unlocked, but it still had bloatware on it that he can't remove.  Are these phones rooted?  Are any?

If it was rooted you would be able to delete bloatware at your leisure.

Rooting and unlocking are two different things.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:22:42 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2015, 08:01:11 PM »
Were you the 1,000,000th visitor to someone's site?
No.

(begging on Facebook works - who knew?)

Are these phones rooted?  Are any?
Generally speaking, phones do not come rooted out of the box. It's something you have to do yourself (or pay to have it done), and more often than not it voids your warranty (at least technically. I have had rooted phones repaired on warranty because Samsung didn't give a crap, but it's something to keep in mind)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
Yep, picked up a Oneplus One for $460 AUD. Tech specs better than most everything on the market while still maintaining comparable battery life to the S5, comes with CM11 and 64GB on board data. Hopefully it holds up better than my shitty S4 did.
I just got an invite for one of those from a friend of a friend (begging on Facebook works - who knew?). Since I broke my Chinaphone half a year ago, I've been using a shitty dumbphone, so I'm looking forward to this regardless of how it turns out.

It's a great little phone, my only complaint is the tendency of the screen to not register keystrokes sometimes. It doesn't happen enough to bother me, and I did know about that going in to the purchase. I've also had the screen refuse to register any at keystrokes at all, warranting a quick restart. But those kind of things rarely happen, and are probably to be expected with a Chinese phone.

It also came with some Chinese bloatware but that was easily removed. Plus I don't really care if some Chinese dude is looking at my Facebook.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »
I just ordered one of these to test with:

http://www.bluproducts.com/index.php/studio-5-0-hd-lte

I had heard about BLU before but never looked into it. For the cost I figured what the hell, I may as well try it. I haven't been much of an Android user in a long time, but I am interested to see if a budget smartphone can perform well. The 6" version looked interesting too.

« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2015, 12:41:13 AM »
Bloody hell that's cheap.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2015, 02:42:56 AM »
Bloody hell that's cheap.

It is. I am curious to see the build quality and responsiveness, but my expectations are not very high.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
I have a new smartphone. My first ever smartphone. I still use my old phone more. I don't like change.
Does it have a clock on it?
God is real.