Why?
« on: November 10, 2016, 10:12:02 PM »
Why does the 'shard' and every other landmark 'Eiffel tower', 'Empire State building' etc look perfectly vertical no matter how far away its viewed from?  Never leaning to the left or right. 

Why does water only have the ability to bend in the ocean?  Is it down to the 'no laws at sea scenario'?  Maybe the laws of physics don't apply at sea?  Maybe it's magic water when way out in the middle of the ocean?

Why don't airplanes have to constantly fly at downward angle to avoid flying out into 'space'?  That magic place we call space hahaha.  Sorry, it does make me chuckle. 

If I dug vertically down through the 'magic ball (lol)', and descended through it very very slowly, when would I start to turn upside down to join my southern 'hemisphere' cousin?

If the shortest route between 2 points is a straight line, why do 'space ships' turn horizontal?  Isn't that a waste of precious 'magic space fuel'?

Why can I see parts of London from the top of Alexandra palace (also standing perfectly perpendicular to my position, so obviously not to their position) that should be out of sight?  Or at least leaning even a minimal amount to one side?

Why does a ship that 'vanishes over curvature' become visible again through a telescope?

Why isn't the 'curvature of the earth' taken into account in surveying and architecture?

Why isn't the 'spin of the earth' felt?

Why isn't the 'trajectory of the earth through the so called universe' felt?

I feel so sorry for you people who believe what you're told on tv, I really do.  I pity you.  If you questioned things with an open mind and trusted your own god-given senses would you REALLY believe that?  I don't think so.  If (God forbid) you had an accident of some kind that left you with amnesia, and for 2 years you couldn't leave your hospital bed and had no recollection of life previous to your accident whatsoever.....  I wonder what you would believe if I told you my outlook of the world?  If I nursed you through the next 2 years.  Then you came out of hospital and everyone was telling you the world is round.  It's spinning.  I know you can't feel it but it really is.  It's also hurtling through the 'universe' at 60000 mph and people in Australia are the other way up.  Also, the oceans are curved.  Would you believe that, or would you tell them to get a grip and stop talking such nonsense?

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:52:09 AM »
If I tried a list of questions like that "against" the Flat Earth, I would be shot down immediately, and told to put only one or two questions in one post!
But, I'll give is a go:

Why does the 'shard' and every other landmark 'Eiffel tower', 'Empire State building' etc look perfectly vertical no matter how far away its viewed from?  Never leaning to the left or right.

Because the "lean" in only about 1° in 111 km and even if you saw these buildings at that distance you would never notice 1° of tilt backwards.

Quote from: jonnytimber
Why does water only have the ability to bend in the ocean?  Is it down to the 'no laws at sea scenario'?  Maybe the laws of physics don't apply at sea?  Maybe it's magic water when way out in the middle of the ocean?

As far as we know, the "Laws of Physics" apply everywhere. Some of those "Laws" are Newton's "Laws of Motion" and "Universal Gravitation".
The quick answer to you question is "gravity".

Why don't airplanes have to constantly fly at downward angle to avoid flying out into 'space'?  That magic place we call space hahaha.  Sorry, it does make me chuckle. 

In a sense they do, but not as an "angle", but as a very gradual continuous curve of around 6,380 km, far too slight a curve to be perceptible. But aircraft in "level flight"  fly at a constant "pressure altitude" (that is what the altimeter reads) and that is (very nearly) a constant altitude above sea-level.

If I dug vertically down through the 'magic ball (lol)', and descended through it very very slowly, when would I start to turn upside down to join my southern 'hemisphere' cousin?

If you really try to explain all observations, in my opinion, there is far less 'magic' needed to explain everything on the Globe than on the Flat Earth. That is MY opinion.

Sort of, but since it is on average 6,371 km to the centre of the earth and the deepest hole is I think about 12 km deep it is not likely to happen.
But, if we consider the hypothetical case you suggest, "gravity" would fall off roughly linearly with the decreasing distance to the centre,

If the shortest route between 2 points is a straight line, why do 'space ships' turn horizontal?  Isn't that a waste of precious 'magic space fuel'?

There is no "magic" about it. Keep all that "magic", because you are going to need it to explain so many simple observation on the Flat Earth

Because these 'space ships' are not "going out into deep space" but into an orbit around the earth, fro which they need around 7.8 km/s or horizontal velocity.
In fact if you can see them for long enough the seem to curve over so far that they appear to be coming down again, but they are not "coming down", they are simply following the curve of the earth. The altitude readout will show that they are still gaining altitude above a different part of the earth.

Why can I see parts of London from the top of Alexandra palace (also standing perfectly perpendicular to my position, so obviously not to their position) that should be out of sight?  Or at least leaning even a minimal amount to one side?

Why would anything "lean to one side"? A Globe is "symmetrical", so the view and distance to the horizon is the same all 360° around.
No tilt would be expected. There would be a slight backward tilt, but at 10 km that would only be about 0.09°, and you would never see that.

Why does a ship that 'vanishes over curvature' become visible again through a telescope?

I do not believe that when "'vanishes over curvature' become visible again through a telescope" and I have seen no convincing evidence.
There are plenty of videos of ships "disappearing" simply because their apparent size becomes too small to see and of course a telescope or a zoom lens will bring them back into view.

Why isn't the 'curvature of the earth' taken into account in surveying and architecture?

It is certainly taken into account by Geodetic Surveyors who survey large tracts of land, up to whole countries and continents.
But surveys for buildings, even large shopping malls, are covering too small an area for the "curvature" to be significant.
Even over 1 km the change in angle is only 0.009° and the deviation from flatness is so small that can only be measured be a vey careful surveyor.

If you bother to check, I think you will find that any surveyor dealing with areas above about 1 km x 1 km would be quite aware of the shape of the globe.

Firstly, motion in a straight line is not perceptible at all. If you have flown in smooth air at almost 1000 km/hr you will realise that all you notice is a little vibration.
Now the spin of the earth is only 0.0007 rpm. That is about half the rotational speed of the hour hand of an analog clock.
Imagine being on a merry-go-round rotating a one revolution per day - that would be frightfully boring!

Same as the previous answer, except that we are orbiting the sun only once per year!

I feel so sorry for you people who believe what you're told on tv, I really do.  I pity you.  If you questioned things with an open mind and trusted your own god-given senses would you REALLY believe that?  I don't think so.  If (God forbid) you had an accident of some kind that left you with amnesia, and for 2 years you couldn't leave your hospital bed and had no recollection of life previous to your accident whatsoever.....  I wonder what you would believe if I told you my outlook of the world?  If I nursed you through the next 2 years.  Then you came out of hospital and everyone was telling you the world is round.  It's spinning.  I know you can't feel it but it really is.  It's also hurtling through the 'universe' at 60000 mph and people in Australia are the other way up.  Also, the oceans are curved.  Would you believe that, or would you tell them to get a grip and stop talking such nonsense?
If I was in that situation, I hope I would have enough sense to look at all the evidence accumulated over millennia, and not just the tiny bit that I could see with my own eyes.
I would want explanations for:
How the sun and moon appear to rise from behind the horizon and set behind the horizon - that is what it looks like to me.
How the sun and moon appear to stay the same size all day (or night).
What causes the phases of the moon and how everyone sees the same phase.
What causes lunar eclipses.
Then I find that the sun rises in the South East in mid-summer (I live in the Southern Hemisphere), but the Sun path these Flat Earthers tell me about always has the sun to the North of me - not possible.

I might not see a solar eclipse, but presumably, I would read about them and wonder what causes them.
Again, I would read about satellites and wonder whether I could see them, then find that I really could see the ISS.

Yes, it is just possible that I could think the earth flat for a while, then I might go to the beach and wonder why I could see further out to sea to beacons and boats from a higher point about sea-level.

Soon, I would find, as did the ancient "philosophers" that there is so much that a Flat Earth cannot explain.

No need to feel sorry. I feel sorry for all the wonders of the universe seen by astronomers and the numerous spin-offs of satellite technology.

I find it strange that so many of you can find so many (non-existent) objections to the Globe, but are completely hopeless at explaining so much on the Flat Earth.

geckothegeek

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 05:05:08 AM »

rabinoz] has answered your questions, but I would like to add a few comments .

For one thing you can't feel the earth "spinning" because it is "spinning" at a  constant speed. Just as once a train reaches a constant speed of 60 or 70 miles per hour you don't feel the speed. Also consider how small you are in relation to how large the earth on which you are standing is.

That old "restoring the ship" always makes old navy veterans laugh. You can "restore a ship"  BEFORE it passes beyond the horizon  but  not AFTER.

The whole idea of a flat earth is false anyway. The earth is a globe and has been known for several thousand years and there is absolutey no evidence that the earth is a flat disc, so you can put all the flat earth ideas to rest.

Here is one idea I have suggested.:
For a start.No matter how young or old you are ask a sailor or go to a local Navy or Air Force Recruiting Office and tell them you would like to discuss the flat earth with them. Or any civilian company or government agency involved in any kind of nautical or aeronautical navigation.
See what kind of response you get. Or better yet, visit an astronomical observatory. Have an interesting and good   trip and learn a few things.
I wish you the best of luck in your quest. Welcome to the real world !   :-)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:09:44 PM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
The airplane into space argument always makes me chuckle a bit as well.

There's the whole "wings don't generate lift without a dense enough atmosphere" issue planes had to overcome to, in fact, fly out to space. Oh, and the whole "gas turbines depends on air intake to combust the fuel" thing as well.

Please study these things before asking them. The issues you mention are the most basic FE issues that keeps getting asked.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

geckothegeek

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
The airplane into space argument always makes me chuckle a bit as well.

There's the whole "wings don't generate lift without a dense enough atmosphere" issue planes had to overcome to, in fact, fly out to space. Oh, and the whole "gas turbines depends on air intake to combust the fuel" thing as well.

Please study these things before asking them. The issues you mention are the most basic FE issues that keeps getting asked.

I am beginning to think studying how things work is a flat earth "no-no".
I think it is the so-called "round earthers" who should feel sorry for the so-called "flat earthers".
They seem to rely on some writings by a man in the 19th Century and are unwilling to examine all the sources of information available in the 21st Century.
A few reasons I could think for a person to think the earth was flat.
Lived all their life on a relatively  flat land and never had been more than a few miles from there.
Never studied geography or astronomy.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:23:21 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 02:21:38 AM »
I feel so sorry for you people who believe what you're told on tv, I really do.  I pity you. 

What should we feel for people like yourself who believe whatever you're told to believe on the internet?

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 05:19:22 AM »
I feel so sorry for you people who believe what you're told on tv, I really do.  I pity you. 

What should we feel for people like yourself who believe whatever you're told to believe on the internet?

Lost, strayed or mislaid! jonnytimber. Would anyone locating this lost person, please let him know that the answers to "Why?" are waiting for him to collect.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 08:38:32 PM »
I didn't expect to get any real answers but what youse have said is even below my expectations!  I don't make my decisions based on the Internet, I make them based on common sense and intelligence.  You people are obviously happy to believe that you live on some kind of magic spinning ball, I just hope that one day you will wake up and open your eyes.  I really do.  It's so very sad to see people who are obviously intelligent and articulate believe something so ludicrous

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 10:26:40 PM »
I didn't expect to get any real answers but what youse have said is even below my expectations!  I don't make my decisions based on the Internet, I make them based on common sense and intelligence.  You people are obviously happy to believe that you live on some kind of magic spinning ball, I just hope that one day you will wake up and open your eyes.  I really do.  It's so very sad to see people who are obviously intelligent and articulate believe something so ludicrous
You give no evidence for your completely erroneous claims nor rebuttals to the answers.

You make the claim "I don't make my decisions based on the Internet, I make them based on common sense and intelligence."

You can't have read my answers because I also can claim "I don't make my decisions based on the Internet, I make them based on common sense and intelligence."
I made no references to the Internet and used only well accepted facts about the earth that have been known for centuries, plus things I have know for much longer than the Internet's existence. You might not believe it, but the Internet has not been around forever.

And I have used the Internet to brush up on values, but I ask you, where did get even the idea to ask questions like?:

Could I be forgiven for thinking that they came from YouTube videos on "the Internet"? So stop being so hypocritical and actually consider the evidence and not what you have been spoon fed from the Internet.

So, I have given answers to your questions, now what about some answers to the points I raised, be fair! In my first post I gave:
If I was in that situation, I hope I would have enough sense to look at all the evidence accumulated over millennia, and not just the tiny bit that I could see with my own eyes.
I would want explanations for:
          How the sun and moon appear to rise from behind the horizon and set behind the horizon - that is what it looks like to me.
          How the sun and moon appear to stay the same size all day (or night).
          What causes the phases of the moon and how everyone sees the same phase.
          What causes lunar eclipses.
          Then I find that the sun rises in the South East in mid-summer (I live in the Southern Hemisphere), but the Sun path these Flat Earthers tell me about always has the sun to the North of me - not possible.

Soon, I would find, as did the ancient "philosophers" that there is so much that a Flat Earth cannot explain.

I find it strange that so many of you can find so many (non-existent) objections to the Globe, but are completely hopeless at explaining so much on the Flat Earth.
Flat Earther's so often accuse Globe supporters (Globists if you like) of being "sheeples" and not thinking for themselves. But, really, it's the Flat Earth erst who just follow the YouTube indoctrination and never think for themselves or even understand the Flat Earth model they claim to espouse.

Prove me wrong by giving plausible answers for the all simple queries I raised.

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 10:32:39 AM »

Why do you think they would or should be leaning?  No matter how far away you are, if you are viewing them they are in your direct line of sight.  Now, if you are far enough away, you may only be able to see the top portion but there's no reason it should appear to lean.  Now, if their degree of inclination is measured relative to you (with you being the perpendicular, zero degree, standard) they are leaning.  Keep in mind that the first full degree of lean relative to you would be at 69 miles (364,320 feet).  Now that comes out to approximately 0.0000028 degrees of lean per foot.  If your eyes are fantastic enough to resolve this miniscule amount you really, really need to quit wasting your time on sites such as this.

Who has ever said that water bends?  Water finds level.  Now, if you want to see bendy water, go fill your tub and jump in.  The water will "bend" around your body.

Why would they have to constantly fly at a downward angle?  Once at cruising altitude they are flying at a more or less consistent altitude as referenced by air pressure.  What makes you think planes are in a constant climb?

Why would you turn upside down?  Take a rubber ball.  Drill a hole through it.  Does your drill bit turn upside down before you come out the other side of it?

Efficiency.  It's actually the best way to achieve the end result using less fuel than flying straight up.

I've no frame of reference for this so can't provide an answer for the first part.  For the second part see the answer for your first statement above.

A ship that 'vanishes over curvature' doesn't become visible again through a telescope.  If the ship is far enough away that part, but not all, of it has disappeared 'over curvature' you may be better able to resolve the portion which hasn't disappeared through a telescope but you can't bring the part that has disappeared back above curvature.

For the vast majority of surveys and architecture the curvature of Earth is irrelevant.  For some things, like particle accelerators, it is relevant and is taken into account.

For the same exact reason that the constant acceleration of FET isn't felt.  Because it's constant.  Same principal as when you're in a car.  On acceleration you feel it.  At constant cruising speed you don't.

Same as just above.  It's constant.  Driving straight down the road you don't feel your trajectory.  Change direction slowly and you may not feel your trajectory.  Change direction quickly and you will feel your trajectory as a function of gravity.

I don't make my decisions based on the Internet, I make them based on common sense and intelligence.

Please do point out to us where, in your original list, there is common sense and/or intelligence.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:52:39 AM by CableDawg »

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 12:54:08 AM »
People are not idiots, if the shard were leaning supposedly even the slightest leaning could be noticed.

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 12:55:51 AM »
You can't feel the movement of the train under your feet(or maybe sometimes you can) but you can say otherwise whether it moves or not.
People should have their own abilities to determine such things if they can't by mind or by emotion to do so it means - False.

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 12:59:10 AM »
People have experience of ship becoming visible through telescope, people have lots of other experience showing the ship sinks in horizon is a plain trick of nature.

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 01:05:07 AM »
Evidence over millennia were collected according to the will of people to be part of a certain world, people have distinct characters making them want the earth be round, therefore all of the data and formulas were made according to that, you have to dig very carefully to find where the things were sew together.

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 01:21:14 AM »
if planes would have to stay focus on path during flight by sticking to gravity corrections we should have felt it very harshly.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 01:26:46 AM »
if planes would have to stay focus on path during flight by sticking to gravity corrections we should have felt it very harshly.
What "gravity corrections" are there that would affect a plane?
Any variations in "g" are minute, and are measured values, so would affect the plane in the same way whether the earth were flat or a Globe.

So what is your point?

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 01:32:16 AM »
Any variations in "g" are minute, and are measured values, so would affect the plane in the same way whether the earth were flat or a Globe.

So what is your point?
Try to look it through other scientific method, not through the Data you have but through your common sense.
look into your inner, and say to yourself: if a plane fly at a curve and it should stick to a curve by any mean(gravity)the power should be felt, because when you change position your mood and emotion change position and the world itself change position.
briefly - if you gliding a curve you should feel the curve.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:34:16 AM by truth »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 05:35:50 AM »

So what is your point?
Try to look it through other scientific method, not through the Data you have but through your common sense.
look into your inner, and say to yourself: if a plane fly at a curve and it should stick to a curve by any mean(gravity)the power should be felt, because when you change position your mood and emotion change position and the world itself change position.
In the absence of any air turbulence or other effects the plane would be flying at a constant altitude about the earth.
To get a feeling for how fast it curves over to follow the earth's curve, a typical airliner would take about 48 hours to fly the 360° around the earth.
That is half the rotational speed of the hour hand of an analogue clock. Do imagine that you would notice that?
Put it another way that plane curves over at only one eighth of a degree per minute. One eighth of a degree is a quite unnoticeable angle.

There is no way you could feel that. The Globe is so huge that to us on the surface it appears near enough to flat.

Sometime you need a bit of "uncommon sense".

Offline truth

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 05:52:37 AM »

So what is your point?
In the absence of any air turbulence or other effects the plane would be flying at a constant altitude about the earth.
To get a feeling for how fast it curves over to follow the earth's curve, a typical airliner would take about 48 hours to fly the 360° around the earth.
That is half the rotational speed of the hour hand of an analogue clock. Do imagine that you would notice that?
Put it another way that plane curves over at only one eighth of a degree per minute. One eighth of a degree is a quite unnoticeable angle.

There is no way you could feel that. The Globe is so huge that to us on the surface it appears near enough to flat.

Sometime you need a bit of "uncommon sense".
Again, I use my brain,my soul,my thoughts, my emotions to feel my environment,you use only outsourcing.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 06:44:34 AM »
Sometimes you need a bit of "uncommon sense".
Again, I use my brain,my soul,my thoughts, my emotions to feel my environment,you use only outsourcing.
::) "Outsourcing"  ::) I'm seeing, that's one of the senses too. And what I see fits with the evidence I get from other sources - it all ties together very neatly.

You should try opening your eyes too.