Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Biden is winning by a landslide
« Reply #520 on: January 07, 2021, 07:52:00 AM »
"More Republicans voted for Biden this time. That's why Biden won a record low 17% of counties." - libs, apparently

Tom.  You do know that 50% of America lives in like 50 counties, right?  Hold on, let me find that map....

https://www.businessinsider.com/half-of-the-united-states-lives-in-these-counties-2013-9

So if you get a majority in those counties, you'll probably win the state.  Ssooo..... Yeah.
Also, kinda funny how you'll happily tout voting statistics as irregular and thus proof of Biden winning but seem ok that Biden won a record low and do not think THAT is odd.  Like, what are the statistical likelyhood that Biden would lose so many counties?  Maybe Trump and his party committed fraud in those small counties?  Had you considered that?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 07, 2021, 09:08:59 AM »
Biden's win certified.

Bye, Donald.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 07, 2021, 09:21:02 AM »
Biden's win certified.

Bye, Donald.

Nothing short of a coupe can keep Donald in power now.

Oh wait....
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 07, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
Good luck with that. These counties have been a known standard indicator for quite a while. Saying that they are wrong and so what is just admitting that there are anomalous results there.

Sigh! Why don't you understand anything?
There's nothing "magic" about bellwether counties. Historically they have gone with the President, that doesn't mean failure to do so is an indication of anything.
As you have admitted, Biden's support was concentrated in a relatively low number of counties but as you are repeatedly failing to understand - or pretending not to - not every county is created equal. Some have significantly higher populations than others. The number of counties won isn't an indication of anything.

Trump is the first incumbent president in 132 years, since Grover Cleveland’s failed bid for re-election in 1888, to have increased his vote from his first election and not win. Trump collected more votes than any previous incumbent seeking reelection, receiving 11 million more votes than in 2016.
Biden won more votes nationally than any presidential candidate in history, but he won a record low 17% of counties — yet Biden somehow outdid Obama in total votes? If this doesn't at least make you  curious about the voting anomalies, you're simply not being honest.

Voter turnout was significantly higher in this election than it was in any recent one - Trump evokes strong feelings both positive and negative. So yeah, Trump got more votes because more people voted. And remember that Trump didn't even win the popular vote last time out, I don't remember you expressing incredulity about how Trump could possibly have won the election without winning the popular vote.
Because it doesn't matter how many people vote for you (to a point), it matters where they vote for you. And the number of counties is simply irrelevant for the reasons already explained.

I'm sorry you don't understand any of this, but there it is.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 07, 2021, 11:39:03 PM »
Sleepy Joe couldn't win a checkers game...shuffle off stage////
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #525 on: January 08, 2021, 09:24:46 AM »
Sleepy Joe couldn't win a checkers game...shuffle off stage////

And yet, he has won the Presidency and helped to bag the Senate at the same time  ::) What does that say about your glorious 'dear leader' Trump?

By Trumps own metric on the kind of candidate and person Joe was, to lose to such a man makes trump the ultimate L-O-S-E-R

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 08, 2021, 09:39:44 PM »
You tell 'em, Joe!

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 20, 2021, 05:04:49 PM »
Great speech President Biden is giving at the inauguration.

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 20, 2021, 05:22:48 PM »
If he keeps up that kind of performance, I think he just might be president one day!

Rama Set

« Reply #529 on: January 20, 2021, 06:33:15 PM »

It was pretty much what I expected from him, which I think is a good thing after the shit show politics has been the last 4 years.  I hope there is an uptick to the kindness and decency level of discourse now that he is in charge.  Knowing that Facebook and Twitter are still a thing, I am not sure that will happen, but hey a guy can dream.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 20, 2021, 11:17:49 PM »
Word is that Joe has already got plastic covers on all the couches in the oval office...

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 21, 2021, 08:23:09 AM »
I think he’s had the slide and ball pool taken out too.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 21, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
Really? He probably did more to radicalise Trump supporters than Trump managed throughout his entire presidency. He scratched every existing itch, and then added a few for good measure. This was Hillary's "deplorables" meme all over again, and it will likely get weaponised in the same way.

I completely understand the liberals' need to celebrate, but you're gonna be feeling the hangover from this rhetoric in a few years. This isn't a good start for the promised moment of unity and healing.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 21, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »
Really? He probably did more to radicalise Trump supporters than Trump managed throughout his entire presidency. He scratched every existing itch, and then added a few for good measure. This was Hillary's "deplorables" meme all over again, and it will likely get weaponised in the same way.

I completely understand the liberals' need to celebrate, but you're gonna be feeling the hangover from this rhetoric in a few years. This isn't a good start for the promised moment of unity and healing.
Really? I mean, he talked a lot about unity. This bit was good:

To all those who did not support us, let me say this. Hear us out as we move forward. Take a measure of me and my heart.
If you still disagree, so be it. That's democracy. That's America. The right to dissent peacefully. And the guardrail of our democracy is perhaps our nation's greatest strength. If you hear me clearly, disagreement must not lead to disunion. And I pledge this to you. I will be a President for all Americans, all Americans. And I promise you I will fight for those who did not support me as for those who did.

What bits did you think would enrage Trump supporters? He talked about the angry mob and democracy prevailing but I'd suggest anyone who is crazy enough that storming the Capitol building was a good idea or to believe Trump's lies about election fraud aren't really going to be placated by anything he said. What is your issue with what he said and is there anything you actually think he could have said which would have been better?

« Reply #534 on: January 21, 2021, 09:50:03 AM »

the above is ridiculously disconnected from reality. Much like Trump and his Trumptards were. Can you at least point out parts Biden said that were so inflammatory?

Or maybe Trumptards are just enraged by the idea of getting along with other people. In that case, I agree with you

Offline AATW

• View Profile

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 21, 2021, 10:47:16 AM »
Or maybe Trumptards are just enraged by the idea of getting along with other people. In that case, I agree with you
I mean, you're not far off, but that's not quite what I was getting at. You are correct insofar that it doesn't matter whether Trump supporters are right (they aren't), but Biden's biggest challenge isn't right or wrong. It's calming emotions and reconciliation vs. furthering division and allowing people to double down. To understand what I'm trying to say, you have to try and read the speech assuming bad faith - that's how the losers will read it - and see whether it would make you angrier or go "huh, maybe I'll give this guy a chance then". The speech was extremely "us and them".

Also, for reference, I'm using the transcript at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/21/joe-biden-inauguration-speech-full-transcript-2021-president/ for my quotes.

Joe opens with two paragraphs talking about how "democracy has prevailed" over Trump's attempts to question the legitimacy of the election, which culminated in the Capitol riots. There's a problem with that - facts aside, most Trump supporters are not convinced that democracy has prevailed. Many think they're witnessing it being stolen. We shouldn't legitimise these feelings, but we absolutely shouldn't paint them as evil. Because most of them aren't - they allowed their emotions and a plethora of media/information issues we're currently facing to take control of them. A statement like "We've learned again that democracy is precious, democracy is fragile and, at this hour my friends, democracy has prevailed. So now on this hallowed ground where just a few days ago violence sought to shake the Capitol's very foundations, we come together as one nation under God - indivisible - to carry out the peaceful transfer of power as we have for more than two centuries" will be read in the context of "us and them", because that's the context it was uttered in. This isn't unity, this is "we won, now unite behind us".

The same goes for "We'll press forward with speed and urgency for we have much to do in this winter of peril and significant possibility. Much to do, much to heal, much to restore, much to build and much to gain." Again, this will be read as "you lot fucked up the country and now I'm here to fix it by undoing what you wanted to accomplish". Right or wrong, this won't help.

AATW claims that Biden talked a lot about unity. But every time he mentions "unity", he immediately follows up with a quip about how racism/the far right is bad. He actually can't stop himself, every time he says "unity", a sentence on how extremism is bad and how we'll totally fix it has to follow. Again, that's not "unity" - that's "you were bad, and now we're uniting against you".

So here's the problem: you've just spent a better part of 15 minutes listening to "us good, them bad, there are lies and there is truth, and luckily the truth has triumphed against the vicious attack on democracy, which by the way was very bad, just like racism and sexism which are also bad, hey, did you know that this location was very important for fighting these bad things, which are just as bad as my opponents?" when Biden looks up to the camera with a gentle smile and politely explains that it's time to end the "uncivil war". He just spent 15-20 minutes rubbing the fact that you're evil in your face and then says "debate over, we unity now :)". I can't imagine this appealing to anyone who wasn't already on board. That problem, in itself, isn't new in America. It's just that Biden claims to be fixing it while perpetuating it perfectly.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm not a Trump supporter, but I like to observe how they react to these things (the gist is that they don't seem to disagree with my reading), and I occasionally pop in to some of the nastier parts of the Internet. I kinda-sorta understand how they communicate, but I probably missed a lot of what's causing the anger. However: if unity is the goal, then understanding must come first. In my humble opinion, Joe Biden has a long way to go before he understands any of the backlash against Democrats that first reared its head in 2016, and which to some extent is still continuing.

Side note: Garth Brooks did a fantastic job at following the message of unity, and was clearly an excellent choice for the ceremony. If any MAGAs kept their TVs on for long enough to hear him, that might at least count for something. J-Lo randomly screaming in Spanish mid-song, probably not so much, but that appealed a lot to the more passionate Dem base. Something for everyone, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:54:54 AM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 21, 2021, 11:23:56 AM »
I see what you're getting at, but do you think there's anything he could have said which would have got the MAGA lot on board?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 21, 2021, 12:12:06 PM »
I think we're at a stage where "less is more". The riots only just happened, and obviously nobody is going to be suddenly switching sides after a single speech, no matter how good. Personally, I think it would have been better not to focus on it, and instead talk about values that Americans (claim to) share. That, to me, would be a message of unity. Joe Biden needs to take some hints out of John McCain's playbook.

But now, the word "unity" is gonna be nigh-impossible to reclaim. Overnight, it became a codeword for "we won, get over it". Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's the first tiny step in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:16:21 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 21, 2021, 12:39:14 PM »
I see what you're getting at, but do you think there's anything he could have said which would have got the MAGA lot on board?

Sure there is.

"Donald Trump was a fantastic president and I will be relinquishing the presidency to him."