Magicalus

Are there any 2d projections that are widely accepted by FE?
« on: December 01, 2022, 02:06:03 AM »
Think of what the Mercator projection is to a round Earth. I'm looking for something like that for a flat earth, a map that is accepted to be a transformation of the currently unknown flat Earth model.

And yes, I know the maps page of the wiki exists but it only shows proposed models, not projections.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 05:34:18 PM by Magicalus »

Offline Tron

• View Profile
Re: Are there any 2d projections that are widely accepted by FE?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 08:38:35 AM »
I think most projections are to make a spherical map more readable...  If you start with a Flat Map then you don't really need to add anything...  Perhaps some topographical features etc..
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 02:12:40 PM »
I think most projections are to make a spherical map more readable...  If you start with a Flat Map then you don't really need to add anything...  Perhaps some topographical features etc..
I did see a video some time ago from a former FEer who tried to make a map using the known distances, realised he couldn't and renounced FE.
That's the fundamental problem. The solution on here seems to be to simply deny the known distances are accurate.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 02:24:40 PM »
It's true, it's not an easy conversion...  Land and water measurements cannot equal a spherical map...  But I do think it's possible to make a flat map and justify the changes...   :P

SteelyBob

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »
It's true, it's not an easy conversion...  Land and water measurements cannot equal a spherical map...  But I do think it's possible to make a flat map and justify the changes...   :P

Can you give a single example of just one change that you might make, and why?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 04:06:37 PM »
I'm sorry, nothing comes to mind.

SteelyBob

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 04:08:48 PM »
I'm sorry, nothing comes to mind.

Then why do you think it’s possible? Surely somebody who thinks something is possible, and is participating in an online debate about the subject, might go so far as to attempt the thing that they are claiming to be possible, before pronouncing that it is possible?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 04:16:38 PM »
Land and water measurements cannot equal a spherical map...
Can you explain that? I would suggest that the known distances between places can only be represented accurately on a sphere.
This is why every map we have is a projection which introduces some inaccuracy.
Were the earth flat it would be possible to make a FE map which is accurate - the only issue would be scale.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 06:03:44 PM »
Yes, those are all valid arguments... Inevitably if a FE map is claimed to be true a discussion of its distance changes must be discussed... 

SteelyBob

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 07:49:28 PM »
Yes, those are all valid arguments... Inevitably if a FE map is claimed to be true a discussion of its distance changes must be discussed...

Surely not just discussed? If you produce, for example, a map that requires Australia to be several times wider, east to west, than it is known to be…isn’t that enough for you to be able to confidently say ‘this map is wrong’? We never see FE proponents discuss these things - if you are generally interested in the subject, wouldn’t you want to work out which map was correct?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 09:37:48 PM »
Bob we already discussed this topic... I'll check in if I have something new to add.