Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Independence
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2014, 01:23:41 AM »
We don't need to do anything fancy. All the president needs to do is say "I am annexing Canada, now the 51st US State." Nothing more. Canada will just shrug and accept it.

Rama Set

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2014, 01:41:28 AM »
We don't need to do anything fancy. All the president needs to do is say "I am annexing Canada, now the 51st US State." Nothing more. Canada will just shrug and accept it.

Thank you for demonstrating the staggering depth of your ignorance.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2014, 01:47:11 AM »
Thank you for demonstrating the staggering depth of your ignorance.

What? Am I missing something or have I misstated myself? Here, I've found a picture to aid you.

As you can see, from this picture I obtained from the future, the annexation of Canada is inevitable.

Ghost of V

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2014, 01:50:58 AM »
Also, according to this completely legitimate newspaper from the 40s: Hitler had a dinosaur army.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:53:19 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2014, 01:52:24 AM »

« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »
Are there any armchair economists around that can tell me if independence will be good or bad for Scotland? No Thork pls.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2014, 05:01:46 PM »
Are there any armchair economists around that can tell me if independence will be good or bad for Scotland? No Thork pls.
Bad.
At least in the short term.

What is the currency of Scotland?  The pound.  Can they still use it once they leave?  No one knows.
A couple banks are gonna relocate to London if they split.  So bad news there.

Basically their economy will have to do a major shift and that will not be pleasant for anyone.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »
The Scottish are obviously stupid as hell. This goes against the unified ultimate goal of every civilization in the galaxy: unified world government with benefits for everyone. Them seceding and becoming their own nation undermines this completely. That's why I'm purposing that we nuke them before they set us back another 100 years.

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2014, 07:32:18 PM »
What motivates independence then? I have heard that they have some natural resources that will not need to be shared with the UK if they split.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
I have heard that they have some natural resources that will not need to be shared with the UK if they split.
Their whisky?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »
What motivates independence then? I have heard that they have some natural resources that will not need to be shared with the UK if they split.
What motivates anyone to be independent?

There may be practical reasons, but for a lot of people it might just be as simple as patriotism.

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2014, 02:00:30 AM »
The Yes campaigners have to say something when people ask "so why independence?"

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2014, 02:24:08 AM »
Scotland for the Scottish?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:54 AM »
I'm interested in the day Canada or Australia decide to remove themselves from the commonwealth.

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2014, 02:53:17 AM »
It's different for us. The UK constitutes barely any of our trade, we're half a world away from them and I don't particularly care for the Queen or the Monarchy. Doing away with them would save us paying for them when they decide to visit, and would allow an Australian head of state instead of a foreign one.

Rama Set

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2014, 02:56:53 AM »
I'm interested in the day Canada or Australia decide to remove themselves from the commonwealth.

Why bother?  It gives us priviledged relations with the UK and does not cost us anything really.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2014, 03:00:32 AM »
Why bother?  It gives us priviledged relations with the UK and does not cost us anything really.

If it doesn't bother you to have a head of state that not only isn't from Canada, but was born into power, then I guess there is really nothing to discuss.

Rama Set

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2014, 03:22:16 AM »

If it doesn't bother you to have a head of state that not only isn't from Canada, but was born into power, then I guess there is really nothing to discuss.

She is a figurehead and literally does nothing.  Why should it be a problem?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2014, 03:24:56 AM »
She is a figurehead and literally does nothing.  Why should it be a problem?

She has complete control over your current government. Just ask Vindictus about the time she dissolved Australia's entire parliament.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2014, 03:43:51 AM »
Well, she didn't, but the Governor-General representing her did. In 1975, the Prime Minister could not get a clear vote of confidence from Parliament, and Government had essentially ground to a halt. Next thing you know, the Governor-General representing Her Majesty in Australia dissolved Parliament and demanded fresh elections. It was probably the best decision at the time, but it shocked the hell out of the country, many people not knowing that could be done.

Of course, Australia could always reject the monarchy and remain in the Commonwealth as India and several other countries have done. I doubt it will, but it is possible.