Offline Science Supporter

• Globe Earth is Only Earth
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Upvote/Downvote Idea
« on: April 18, 2019, 04:19:28 AM »
I think it would be cool if there was a button that could allow us to like/dislike a post we view. Just a thought.
"We are not here to directly persuade anyone [...] You mistake our lack of interest in you for our absence."
-Pete Svarrior

"We are extremely popular and the entire world wants to talk to us. We have better things to do with our lives than have in depth discussions with every single curious person. You are lucky to get one sentence dismissals from us"
-Tom Bishop

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Upvote/Downvote Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »
This isn't Reddit.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 11:11:01 AM »
Horrible idea. Then we would get high school REers spamming the crap out of anything. Just...no.
BobLawBlah.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 02:55:51 PM »
A no from this community member.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »
I don’t hate the idea as long as it has no effect in visibility. It’s a quick way to show agreement which might cut down on redundant posts.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »
It's an interesting idea, but probably not suited for the forum format. It would be better for an entirely differently structured debate platform in which each side gives arguments, which are presented and voted on or commented on for user participation.

I've always thought that a platform for debate of ideas on merit would be a better situation than "talk to the flat earthers," of which there are comparatively few.

It is possible for the Foucault Pendulum to be an inconsistent or invalid experiment, or explained through other means, without the earth needing to be flat, as an example. Such a platform would further FET without forcing its users to argue for or believe in things that they do not believe in. It would take careful consideration and presentation... A debate club v.2.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:38:04 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
Obvious no, Thork's like/dislike system is good enough as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
We are smarter than those scientists.
I see multiple contradicting explanations. You guys should have a pow-wow and figure out how your model works.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 06:58:03 PM »
Surely any such system would only reinforce tribalism? We have two sides of a debate here, one much more numerous than the other. Even if the regulars didn't engage in tribal behaviour, flyby noobs would ensure that all posts which support RE had high scores, while all posts supporting FE would be in the negatives. It's a simple consequence of the respective sizes of each community.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 12:03:39 AM »
If it were me I would only give the option to like a post, but it’s not a crucial feature.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 12:56:12 AM »
I've enabled it. Feel free to rate my post.

Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline kmack

• beliefs are meant to be challenged, not protected
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 04:58:40 PM »
An upvote/downvote system immune to the effects of trolling is feasible, although I'm not sure how difficult it would be to execute (I'm far from an expert when it comes to coding and all that jazz). Something akin to the system of many stackexchange sites, where you have to gather a minimum amount of reputation before you can participate in voting, would likely discourage people who's only objective is to brigade and troll. Reputation could be gained by participating in (civil) discussion and making posts that are positively received, or something along those lines.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 06:34:23 AM »
An upvote/downvote system immune to the effects of trolling is feasible, although I'm not sure how difficult it would be to execute (I'm far from an expert when it comes to coding and all that jazz). Something akin to the system of many stackexchange sites, where you have to gather a minimum amount of reputation before you can participate in voting, would likely discourage people who's only objective is to brigade and troll. Reputation could be gained by participating in (civil) discussion and making posts that are positively received, or something along those lines.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea. Ideas should be received on their own merit, and people should make up their own minds without using other people's opinions as a crutch.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »
There are plenty of social media platforms where you can engage in popularity contests already, use them instead of trying to drag this place down to their level.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »
It's an awful idea because the discussion is considerably one sided, we can guess the outcome of votes on posts already and it will only if anything stop people thinking for themselves when reading the forums back. "Oh, this guy has 2 likes and 34 dislikes? he must be wrong!" - totally nothing to do with there being less flat earthers compared to 'round earthers'.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?