Rama Set

Re: Bill Nye debates Ken Ham on Creationism
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »
can't be proven or disproven.  Which is why it's not scientific.

Well done.

We can currently prove ET life exists just as much as we can prove god exists: we can't. Unless you were planning on taking your Prius to go look.

Of course we can prove it. That we haven't does not mean we can't.

We just don't do it because it doesn't interest us very much, huh?

You can't force a radio signal from an alien civilization to get to Earth. You have to wait for it. But people are looking.

So until one comes, if one ever does, we can't prove it.

I feel like you feel like you are leading me in to a trap.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2015, 11:45:01 PM »

Well done.

We can currently prove ET life exists just as much as we can prove god exists: we can't. Unless you were planning on taking your Prius to go look.

Of course we can prove it. That we haven't does not mean we can't.

We just don't do it because it doesn't interest us very much, huh?

You can't force a radio signal from an alien civilization to get to Earth. You have to wait for it. But people are looking.

So until one comes, if one ever does, we can't prove it.

No, I'm just filling the gaps in your education that you seem to have missed in kindergarten.

Ghost of V

« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2015, 11:48:36 PM »

He's practicing some basic troll techniques.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2015, 11:57:34 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Do you have a good reason for assuming that life does not exist outside our solar system? Despite the fact that other possibly hospitable planets have been detected?

I see you still haven't bothered to read that Wikipedia article. If you want to say life exists outside the solar system, you're free to do so. I'm just saying you might as well be religious too, while you're at it. If you're going to believe in nonsense, might as well broaden your spectrum a bit.

Ghost of V

« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2015, 11:58:30 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Do you have a good reason for assuming that life does not exist outside our solar system? Despite the fact that other possibly hospitable planets have been detected?

I see you still haven't bothered to read that Wikipedia article. If you want to say life exists outside the solar system, you're free to do so. I'm just saying you might as well be religious too, while you're at it. If you're going to believe in nonsense, might as well broaden your spectrum a bit.

no u

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2015, 01:33:38 AM »
Life outside the solar system can be proven or disproven.

Disproving life outside the solar system is technically possible, but completely unfeasible. You'd have to search the entire universe. Saying that makes it scientific would be no different than me saying God is on another planet, we just haven't been to it yet.
But how would you disprove God?  Disproving life outside of the solar system (can we just say Earth?) is possible, as you noted.  But can you devise a test to disprove God?  Unless I'm wrong, that's one of the reasons God is not scientific: No test can be devised to disprove it's existence.

Well done.

God can't be disproved.  No test can be devised that God can't simply fool.  Heck, God could change the rules of reality.  How do you use science against that kind of supernatural power?

And as Rushy pointed out, life outside of the solar system CAN be disproved.  It's impractical and not worth doing, but it could be done.

So, God is not the same as ET.  God can't be disproved, ET can.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2015, 01:54:04 AM »
But how would you disprove God?  Disproving life outside of the solar system (can we just say Earth?) is possible, as you noted.  But can you devise a test to disprove God?  Unless I'm wrong, that's one of the reasons God is not scientific: No test can be devised to disprove it's existence.

Saying it is technically possible is not the same as saying it is falsifiable. You proposed an unfalsifiable claim because searching the entire universe is unfeasible. Like I said, it would no different than me saying God is on another planet, we just haven't found it yet. Now I've just made God a technically possible to disprove claim, but it is still unfeasible to do so.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2015, 02:10:06 AM »

Saying it is technically possible is not the same as saying it is falsifiable. You proposed an unfalsifiable claim because searching the entire universe is unfeasible. Like I said, it would no different than me saying God is on another planet, we just haven't found it yet. Now I've just made God a technically possible to disprove claim, but it is still unfeasible to do so.

It's unfeasible now but so what?  Plenty of things have been seen as unfeasible until we did them.  This isn't an argument (as it's a logical fallacy) but simply a fact: You can't say it will never be feasible.  I can't say it will be either.  But it is definitely not impossible that it will become feasible.

Of course, this assumes life doesn't exist outside of Earth.  If it does, then it likely won't require searching the whole universe before we find it.

However, even if life was on Titan, it's currently infeasible to find it.  We can't even search all places on our own planet for life as it's infeasible. (pressure and heat being the key factors)
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2015, 02:12:37 AM »
It's unfeasible now but so what?  Plenty of things have been seen as unfeasible until we did them.  This isn't an argument (as it's a logical fallacy) but simply a fact: You can't say it will never be feasible.  I can't say it will be either.  But it is definitely not impossible that it will become feasible.

You are suggesting that it will eventually be feasible to search the entirety of the universe for life.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2015, 02:14:51 AM »

You are suggesting that it will eventually be feasible to search the entirety of the universe for life.

Didn't you suggest that humanity might eventually reverse entropy recently?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2015, 02:15:52 AM »

Please quote me that post so I can argue with myself.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2015, 02:19:21 AM »

So what will we do when each atom in existence is separated by trillions of light years?

Put them back together.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2015, 02:21:52 AM »

So what will we do when each atom in existence is separated by trillions of light years?

Put them back together.

That has nothing to do with reversing entropy.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2015, 02:28:40 AM »
Okay, reversing the universe's heat death, caused by entropy.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2015, 02:31:38 AM »

I'm suggesting that it's possible it will eventually be feasible to search the entirety of the universe for life. 

I look at it this way:
If I asked anyone in the 15th century if we'll ever visit the moon, I'm sure everyone I meet would laugh at me and say it's impossible.  The distances are simply large to launch or fly to. 

I can't predict the future so I'm not going to assume something will always be infeasible just because it is now.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2015, 02:32:22 AM »

You asked what we could do if they were really far apart and I answered we could put them back together. You never stipulated that there is no available energy left in the universe due to some environmental phenomenon.

I'm suggesting that it's possible it will eventually be feasible to search the entirety of the universe for life. 

Okay. I was just making sure.

Rama Set

« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2015, 02:50:37 AM »

You asked what we could do if they were really far apart and I answered we could put them back together. You never stipulated that there is no available energy left in the universe due to some environmental phenomenon.

He did stipulate that every atom was separated by trillions of light years though.  Sort of hard to mobilize at that point.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2015, 02:53:30 AM »
He did stipulate that every atom was separated by trillions of light years though.  Sort of hard to mobilize at that point.

It would be very hard, yes, but he didn't say it involved the heat death of the universe.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2015, 03:01:26 AM »
The point is that you suggested we might do something that would be unfathamable with today's technology on a universal scale, like, say, searching the universe for life.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2015, 03:44:10 AM »
The point is that you suggested we might do something that would be unfathamable with today's technology on a universal scale, like, say, searching the universe for life.

The difference is that my suggestion was made tongue in cheek and Dave's was not.