Thork

Site not compatible with Edge
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »
The site has compatibility issues with MS Edge, at least for me. I can't select any smileys or text features. I have to tag everything. :(

Can others check if this just is me?

If it isn't, the site admin must immediately address this. Potential flat earthers will be descending here from around the world using the latest technology from Microsoft, and we must be able to cater to their sophisticated needs.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Site not compatible with Edge
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »
It probably isn't compatible with Netscape Navigator, either. Surely we should modify the site to accommodate people's terrible choice in browser.

Also, I think its pretty funny that you didn't tag things by hand anyway. I was unaware that anyone who uses this site more than three times a year bothers clicking those buttons.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:52:02 PM by Rushy »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 04:05:08 AM »
I have no idea what Edge even is. Care to provide some explanation as to why it needs to be treated specially?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

geckothegeek

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:24:10 AM »
This site may have some limitations but it's certainly better than that "other" FES site.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 05:47:15 AM »
I have no idea what Edge even is. Care to provide some explanation as to why it needs to be treated specially?

Its the newest version of Internet Explorer. It's called Edge because Microsoft is trying to distance themselves from the negative connotations that Internet Explorer incurs.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
This sounds like a flaw in edge moreso than a flaw here.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
Anyway, it will soon be the world's most popular browser, so the site needs to be fixed.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 01:02:46 PM »
Anyway, it will soon be the world's most popular browser, so the site needs to be fixed.

Care to provide some explanation as to why it needs to be treated specially?

Thork

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »
Let's assume Chrome made a new release, and users with Chrome found the site to be broken. Would you make a fix?

Microsoft will get a large portion of people onto Edge. It actually benchmarks faster than Chrome and Firefox. Its ... not bad. It will also allow extensions soon too, making it every bit as good as other browsers to use. And websites are going to need to adapt. Like this one.

On another note, I know you pride yourself on how efficiently and well this site runs. People are going to arrive here and find stuff broken. And I know that is going to annoy you. So you've been informed, you can choose to ignore this bug issue, but I'm confident it will eat away at you until you work out why Edge works differently, fix the issue and inform the rest of the world via GitHub.

And with that ... I am finished with this thread, unless I need to come back and say thank you later.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
Let's assume Chrome made a new release, and users with Chrome found the site to be broken. Would you make a fix?

That depends on the nature of the breakage. If it's caused by a bug in Chrome, I would file a bug report with Chromium and they would get another update out to fix the problem.

Microsoft will get a large portion of people onto Edge. It actually benchmarks faster than Chrome and Firefox. Its ... not bad. It will also allow extensions soon too, making it every bit as good as other browsers to use. And websites are going to need to adapt. Like this one.

Sorry, but the world doesn't need to adapt to every new piece of crapware Microsoft releases. The code that inserts smileys and formatting is standard Javascript that works across all browsers. If Microsoft have broken their Javascript implementation in Edge, they should probably fix that.

I'm not ruling out that it might be a problem with SMF, but I have no way of reproducing the behaviour as I have no Windows systems. Until somebody provides a more detailed problem report than "it doesn't work!" followed by a demand for us to fix it, there's no way I can even begin to investigate.

On another note, I know you pride yourself on how efficiently and well this site runs. People are going to arrive here and find stuff broken. And I know that is going to annoy you. So you've been informed, you can choose to ignore this bug issue, but I'm confident it will eat away at you until you work out why Edge works differently, fix the issue and inform the rest of the world via GitHub.

And with that ... I am finished with this thread, unless I need to come back and say thank you later.

So far, you're the only one to report this issue, despite not being the only regular using Windows 10. Unless somebody else comes forward to say they see the same problem, I'm going to assume it's an issue on your end.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 01:28:29 PM »
I would try to reproduce the issue, but apparently Microsoft only provides Edge to Windows 10 users. That must be really fun for web developers.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but is it possible that Thork does not have Java enabled or some other setting in Edge? 

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but is it possible that Thork does not have Java enabled or some other setting in Edge?

There are no dumb questions where Thork is concerned. Assuming you mean Javascript, that would indeed cause this behaviour.

Thork

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »
I just wrote some javascript and jquery to pull some apis from a server I have access to. Ran it in the browser, got the correct returns.

JavaScript and JQuery are both operating fine on my machine.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
...why don't you just use Chrome or Firefox?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
I'll test out the bug in a little bit. Wanted to mess around with Edge more anyway

Edit: It's a problem with Edge. It works perfectly fine in literally every other browser.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:35:02 PM by Snupes »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
I've confirmed the bug, and yes it's only limited to Edge in Windows 10. Haven't spent any time troubleshooting yet, but will when I can if no one beats me to it. I don't think it's a critical issue, since it appears to be a JavaScript implementation issue in the browser. MS loves to be non-standard, regardless of their claims otherwise.

Thork

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 12:00:24 AM »
I've confirmed the bug, and yes it's only limited to Edge in Windows 10.

Edit: It's a problem with Edge. It works perfectly fine in literally every other browser.

Thank you Mr and Mrs Obvious. I am aware it is limited to Edge. That is why the thread is titled "Site not compatible with Edge".

Unless somebody else comes forward to say they see the same problem, I'm going to assume it's an issue on your end.
Well you can see where assumption got you. You get paid to solve IT problems right? You must be a joy to work with. Should I try turning my computer off and back on again?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:03:27 AM by Dr David Thork »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 12:44:13 AM »

I've confirmed the bug, and yes it's only limited to Edge in Windows 10.

Thank you Mr and Mrs Obvious. I am aware it is limited to Edge. That is why the thread is titled "Site not compatible with Edge".

Unless somebody else comes forward to say they see the same problem, I'm going to assume it's an issue on your end.
Well you can see where assumption got you. You get paid to solve IT problems right? You must be a joy to work with. Should I try turning my computer off and back on again?

Parsifal asked for additional confirmation, because you have been known to be borderline retarded on occasion.

It will get fixed, most likely by Microsoft patching their PoS browser. I'll analyze using Fiddler in several browsers to see where Edge is fucking up when I have time.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 12:47:05 AM »
Maybe it would be more accurate to say that Edge is not compatible with this site.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.