Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Site not compatible with Edge
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 06:01:53 AM »
Well you can see where assumption got you. You get paid to solve IT problems right? You must be a joy to work with. Should I try turning my computer off and back on again?

Just turning it off might work out better for everyone.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 07:09:33 AM »
Well you can see where assumption got you. You get paid to solve IT problems right? You must be a joy to work with. Should I try turning my computer off and back on again?

Just turning it off might work out better for everyone.

Please keep it civil in the upper fora.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »
Have you tried it on any other SM powered forum?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »
Good idea Dave, lets make this compatibility problem the user's issue. ::)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
Good idea Dave, lets make this compatibility problem the user's issue. ::)

By checking other sites, you can determine if it's SM's code (and thus nothing Parsifal is responsible to fix) or modifications this site has had.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
I was able to both decipher (seriously, Thork, try to be less unhelpful) and reproduce the problem. None of the js-driven buttons seem to work when posting from Microsoft Edge. This appears to be a shared problem between a number of current SMF forums that I tried. I'll try to figure out what's going on soon.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
OMG posting this in the Edge browser and clicked the following buttons...

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >o< :-B

Unfortunately, that is with the user agent string set to IE 11. Microsoft's built-in debug tool shows the following error when the user agent string is set to Edge (which is the default, of course):

"Unable to get property 'insertSmiley' of undefined or null reference"

And links to this wonderful MS resource:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/h62awd63(v=vs.94).aspx

Confirmed Edge for PoS.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
Unfortunately, that is with the user agent string set to IE 11. Microsoft's built-in debug tool shows the following error when the user agent string is set to Edge (which is the default, of course):

"Unable to get property 'insertSmiley' of undefined or null reference"

That's actually fairly helpful, thanks. I've just made a quick fix to the production code; can you clear your cache, try again and let me know if the problem persists?

If that fixes it, I'll commit it to git and we can be done with this.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 07:32:22 PM »
Unless Edge sucks at clearing its cache, the problem persists. The error described by Junker applies to smileys, other buttons (e.g. [b]) throws Unable to get property 'handleButtonClick' of undefined or null reference instead while font selection menus throw Unable to get property 'handleSelectChange' of undefined or null reference

It highlights the following lines of code as the source of the problems, but it neglects to specify where they are located:

Code: [Select]
oEditorHandle_message.insertSmiley(oProperties)
oEditorHandle_message.handleButtonClick(oProperties)
oEditorHandle_message.handleSelectChange(oProperties)
Sorry, I'm currently in a setting where I literally cannot grep, but that should hopefully be of some use.

Edit: BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Trying to insert a quote while editing results in Unable to get property 'bRichTextEnabled' of undefined or null reference, and actually specifies the location of index.php (1265,6)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:41:35 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
Jesus, Microsoft. I don't even have to be super fluent with code to know that this is very, very stupid.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 10:27:49 PM »
To be fair, JS not having one consistent implementation is one of the main reasons people hate it. Then again, this is usually only a hypothetical problem...

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 12:56:43 AM »

To be fair, JS not having one consistent implementation is one of the main reasons people hate it. Then again, this is usually only a hypothetical problem...

Edge was literally built on the assumption that JS is the language of the Internet though :(

Thork

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 08:03:24 PM »
So we have confirmed that it isn't just me and that we know it is Edge unable to deal with the current JS that makes all the SMF buttons work.

Which I pretty much said 2 pages ago in my OP. Is anyone likely to try and fix this, or was this just an exercise in verifying if what I said was true for the sake of laughing at Microsoft or laughing at me in a no lose crapfest of a thread?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
What is there to fix? The problem is clearly Microsoft's. Submit a trouble ticket through them.

Thork

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 08:24:51 PM »
No, the problem is ours. If I was writing a website and needed it to be able to work with Internet Explorer 6, I can't write to Microsoft and whinge that they fix it because it hates the way I did my JavaScript. I make exceptions to deal with how that browser reads websites.

<!--[if IE 6]>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.somesite.com/wp-content/themes/SGWI/scripts/DD_belatedPNG_0.0.8a-min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    // <![CDATA[
DD_belatedPNG.fix('.pngfix, img, #home-page-content li, #page-content li, #bottom li, #footer li, #recentcomments li span');
    // ]]>
    </script>
<![endif]-->

We need an Edge equivalent is all.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 08:35:28 PM »
It is very much a Microsoft problem. Microsoft is responsible for ensuring its browser is backwards compatible with various sites, it should not be this site's responsibility to bend to the will of Microsoft just because it decides to be a special snowflake and create Internet Exploredge 18 - NSA Edition.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 09:51:56 PM »
No, the problem is ours. If I was writing a website and needed it to be able to work with Internet Explorer 6, I can't write to Microsoft and whinge that they fix it because it hates the way I did my JavaScript. I make exceptions to deal with how that browser reads websites.

<!--[if IE 6]>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.somesite.com/wp-content/themes/SGWI/scripts/DD_belatedPNG_0.0.8a-min.js"></script>
    // <![CDATA[
   DD_belatedPNG.fix('.pngfix, img, #home-page-content li, #page-content li, #bottom li, #footer li, #recentcomments li span');
    // ]]>
    </script>
<![endif]-->

And that equivalent is?  Have they released the code to make this work?

Thork

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 11:06:14 PM »
It is very much a Microsoft problem. Microsoft is responsible for ensuring its browser is backwards compatible with various sites, it should not be this site's responsibility to bend to the will of Microsoft just because it decides to be a special snowflake and create Internet Exploredge 18 - NSA Edition.
I can just see Microsoft bending to the will of the flat earth society. ::)

<!--[if IE 6]>
    // <![CDATA[
    // ]]>
    </script>
<![endif]-->

Have Microsoft written the JavaScript alternative for SMF forums to use? I'm guessing not Dave. Have a day off.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 11:57:51 PM »
I can just see Microsoft bending to the will of the flat earth society. ::)

<!--[if IE 6]>
    // <![CDATA[
    // ]]>
    </script>
<![endif]-->

Have Microsoft written the JavaScript alternative for SMF forums to use? I'm guessing not Dave. Have a day off.
No, has Microsoft released the JS specific command that is equivalent to

I'm sure it's not an uncommon command.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 01:24:30 AM »
So we have confirmed that it isn't just me and that we know it is Edge unable to deal with the current JS that makes all the SMF buttons work.

Which I pretty much said 2 pages ago in my OP.

Wrong on three counts. That's not what you said in your OP, and we've confirmed a lot more than what you said in your OP, including what the specific error message is. We've also confirmed that it does work with Edge if you switch to using the IE user agent, which proves your assertion that Edge is unable to deal with that Javascript wrong.

Posts like these are worse than useless; they are counterproductive because they add nothing new and create confusion by incorrectly summarising the situation.

Is anyone likely to try and fix this, or was this just an exercise in verifying if what I said was true for the sake of laughing at Microsoft or laughing at me in a no lose crapfest of a thread?

I've already tried to fix it. My fix evidently didn't work, although SexWarrior has since provided me with more detailed error information which may or may not help put together a correct fix. I don't know when I'll have time to do that.

I appreciate that you took the time to ignore my efforts so far, but can you please refrain from posting just to complain that we're not doing what we are doing? It's bad enough that your original report was devoid of any helpful information, you don't need to go derailing this thread now that we're trying to address the issue.

No, has Microsoft released the JS specific command that is equivalent to
I'm sure it's not an uncommon command.

That's unlikely to be the line which has the actual problem. The error message is "Unable to get property 'insertSmiley' of undefined or null reference", which implies that oEditorHandle_message is undefined or null. Since that variable is set within Javascript in SMF, it's reasonable to suppose that it never gets set, either due to an error elsewhere on the page, or (as the error information provided by SexWarrior suggests) that Javascript not even being run.