Offline Action80

• View Profile
Last I checked, an acronym is synonymous with the word abbreviation.

Perhaps you should check again:
An abbreviation is a shortened version of a longer word (such as Dr. or Prof.), while an acronym forms a new word using the first letter of each word from a phrase (such as radar or ASAP). Writers often use the words abbreviations and acronyms interchangeably, yet the two are quite distinct.
I did check again. Why they let you anywhere near this forum is now obvious.

ac·ro·nym
/ˈakrəˌnim/
Learn to pronounce
noun
an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile

An abbreviation is a shortened version of a longer word (such as Dr. or Prof.), while an acronym forms a new word using the first letter of each word from a phrase (such as radar or ASAP). Writers often use the words abbreviations and acronyms interchangeably, yet the two are quite distinct.

ac·ro·nym
/ˈakrəˌnim/
Learn to pronounce
noun
an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).

And its funny how you still show you can't read.

Do you know what synonymous is?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile

ac·ro·nym
/ˈakrəˌnim/
Learn to pronounce
noun

^again, another only demonstrating the purpose of the site.

F f t g t s o o e e h. I a n g f i.

L d i a r, r o t m i.

Yes, synonymous means sharing characteristics. Could be exactly the same or nearly the same.

N, g f w s e, y N l.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
I am siding with Russia on this one.

Interesting.

This was clearly outlined by the link given in the very first post of this thread, and even in the title of this thread, yet I notice that you guys never bring it up, preferring to pretend that Russia invaded Ukraine out of the blue. From this I see that the lies are squarely on your side of this.

From the OP article, yes, clearly outlined:

"Putin has instructed the Defense Ministry to send peacekeepers into the Donbass, while telling the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to establish diplomatic relations with the states."

Seems like "peacekeepers" weren't just sent to the Donbass region...

Actually Russia explained in March why the the attack went beyond Donbass. There was military infrastructure along the Ukraine borders with Russia. They were taking out the Ukrainian air defenses and weapons depots. It is remarked here that Russia intended Ukraine to be a neutral country, not that Russia intended to annex those non-Donbass areas or that they wanted to annex whole of Ukraine. This is a fantasy fiction that you have made up entirely. It is also reiterated here that they had stepped in to defend the breakaway regions:

https://www.rt.com/russia/551314-putin-explains-ukraine-tactic/

Putin explains why Ukraine attack went beyond Donbass

5 Mar, 2022

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Saturday that he chose to attack Ukraine beyond the borders of the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics (DPR and LPR) to prevent the West from “endlessly” supplying “nationalists and radicals” with various resources, such as weapons and money. He added that the Russian forces were “practically done” destroying Ukrainian military sites, such as air defenses and weapons depots.

The president stated that he had ordered Russian troops to invade Ukraine last week in order to neutralize the “real threat” coming from Kiev and NATO. Moscow has long protested the Western military infrastructure along its borders and Ukraine’s aspirations to join the US-led bloc.

“They began to say more actively that they will admit [Ukraine] to NATO. What will this lead to? All other members of the alliance must back Ukraine in the case of a military conflict,” Putin said. “They will [attack] Crimea, and we will be forced to go to war with NATO. Do you understand the consequences?” The president stated that he wanted Ukraine to become a neutral country.

Crimea voted to leave Ukraine and join Russia shortly after the 2014 coup in Kiev. It was during that time that the DPR and LPR broke away from Ukraine.

“Let’s acquire nuclear weapons, they say [in Ukraine]. We can’t simply ignore it,” Putin said, referring to President Volodymyr Zelensky’s remark last month that Kiev might be forced to reconsider its status as a non-nuclear-weapons state.

Russia invaded its neighbor on February 24, arguing that it was defending the DPR and LPR. Putin also claimed he was seeking the “demilitarization and denazification” of the country.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 12:05:11 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile

ac·ro·nym
/ˈakrəˌnim/
Learn to pronounce
noun

^again, another only demonstrating the purpose of the site.

F f t g t s o o e e h. I a n g f i.

L d i a r, r o t m i.

Yes, synonymous means sharing characteristics. Could be exactly the same or nearly the same.

N, g f w s e, y N l.
And in language, means one can be used in place of the other.  Same or nearly the same definition.

But an Acronym describes a type of Abbreviation (using only the first word), not an abbreviation as a whole.

So if I were to say "Dr. Is an acronym for Doctor" I would be wrong.  Thus they are not synonymous.

Please return to 2nd grade for re-education.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
And in language, means one can be used in place of the other.  Same or nearly the same definition.

But an Acronym describes a type of Abbreviation (using only the first word), not an abbreviation as a whole.

So if I were to say "Dr. Is an acronym for Doctor" I would be wrong.  Thus they are not synonymous.

I a t d m i o t f f.
FTFY. Nnttm.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 01:36:58 PM by Action80 »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile

I a t d m i o t f f.
FTFY. Nnttm.

You know what?  You should keep it up.  Just make entire posts into acronyms.  Save the space in the DB and from anyone understanding your ramblings.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
As much as A80 angrily demonstrating that he doesn't know what words mean is hilarious, it's a little off-topic here. Let's put a pin in it and resume in AR if people want a laugh.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
"Now home to a majority of Russian-speaking people, they moved there only in recent decades. Now, Russia has given more than 720,000 Russian passports to roughly one-fifth of the region’s population, according to The Associated Press."
So you're saying that a bunch of Russians move into Ukrainian territory and now want that Ukrainian territory to become part of Russia?  Still sounds like an invasion to me.

It is certainly possible that it was the ethnic Russians who settled in Ukraine that started it. However, regardless of who started what, it can't be denied that there was a prolonged war and humanitarian crisis in eastern Ukraine prior to the Russian invasion, giving justification for Russia's intervention. Even the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs concedes that there was a humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Here is a report from Feb 10, 2022, 14 days before Russia entered Ukraine:

https://www.acaps.org/sites/acaps/files/key-documents/files/ukraine_2022_hrp_eng_2022-02-10.pdf

HUMANITARIAN RESPONSE PLAN UKRAINE

Feb 2022

"Almost eight years of active fighting have had profound consequences on the lives of millions of people in the conflict-affected Donetska and Luhanska oblasts of eastern Ukraine. An estimated 2.9 million people are projected to need humanitarian assistance in 2022, with some 55 per cent living in the non-Government controlled area (NGCA)."
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 08:09:18 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
it can't be denied that there was a prolonged war and humanitarian crisis in eastern Ukraine
Can it not? Considering how you normally approach these things nowadays, this position beggars belief. Of course it can be denied, and if it wasn't already the popular position, you'd be denying it to the ends of the world.

Try it. I'm sure you can do it. Show us your best attempt.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 08:05:55 PM by Pete Svarrior »

i'm actually curious to know how cruise missiles help in a humanitarian crisis. was the crisis a lack of explosions?
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
i'm actually curious to know how cruise missiles help in a humanitarian crisis. was the crisis a lack of explosions?

Because the Ukrainian military was fighting against Russian separatists in the Donbass regions. Russia intervened and helped the separatists by attempting to cripple Ukraine and by annexing the separatist regions in question. There was a multi-year pre-existing conflict there between Ukraine's military and ethnic Russians in Donbass.

Regardless of who was at fault, the situation from Russia's view was that Ukraine's military was actively involved in killing ethnic Russians in Donbass in a war. This is why Russia was upset about it and intervened.

https://www.rt.com/russia/551534-russia-ukraine-dpr-refugees/

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 08:50:40 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
I bet all those now-dead ethnic Russians are really grateful for being saved from the genocide in which no people were dying (short of definitely-not-Kremlin-sponsored partisans who just happened to wear Russian surplus uniforms while inciting violence).

Now that they're dead, they can finally be happy. All thanks to дядя Володя! Great success!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 08:49:28 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline stack

• View Profile
We're relying on www.rt.com now?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
I understand your point...  But good content is good content.

From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Yes, you were asking why Russia invaded non-Donbass areas and I provided a link from a Russian state-controlled media outlet.

The outlet also contains many important links on the Russian motivation for the war, such as their concern about the Donbass situation. If you want to know what Russia's motivation was and whether they had reasoning and justification, you should go there and read what they have to say. Attempting to portray the situation as Russia invading a country out of the blue is dishonest.

Previously you were arguing from your own personal ignorance, assuming that Russia was attempting to annex non-Donbass regions. You now know better. Putin said that he wanted Ukraine to become a neutral country, not that he intended to annex any part other than the annexation necessary to defend the breakaway regions that have been in a civil war with the Ukrainian military since 2014.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:16:43 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
If you want to know what Russia's motivation was and whether they had reasoning and justification, you should go [to Russian state-controlled media outlets] and read what they have to say.
I agree, and Russian state-controlled media have made their position very clear merely days into their failed conquest. Here's an archive link for anyone interested - it's mostly readable and accurate when auto-translated.

There can be no doubt here - they told us exactly what they were after. Of course, once they realised their enormous cock-up they tried to sweep it under the rug and rewrite the narrative, but we're not silly enough to ignore their own testimony, are we, Tom?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:26:49 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline stack

• View Profile
Yes, you were asking why Russia invaded non-Donbass areas and I provided a link from a Russian state-controlled media outlet.

The outlet also contains many important links on the Russian motivation for the war, such as their concern about the Donbass situation. If you want to know what Russia's motivation was and whether they had reasoning and justification, you should go there and read what they have to say. Attempting to portray the situation as Russia invading a country out of the blue is dishonest.

I don't think I would rely on RT to provide objective "reasoning" and reasonable "justification" for anything.

Previously you were arguing from your own personal ignorance, assuming that Russia was attempting to annex non-Donbass regions. You now know better. Putin said that he wanted Ukraine to become a neutral country, not that he intended to annex any part other than the annexation necessary to defend the breakaway regions that have been in a civil war with the Ukrainian military since 2014.

Correct, initially...

Launching the invasion on 24 February he told the Russian people his goal was to "demilitarise and de-Nazify Ukraine". His declared aim was to protect people subjected to what he called eight years of bullying and genocide by Ukraine's government. Another objective was soon added: ensuring Ukraine's neutral status.

How does one demilitarise/de-nazify and ensure an entire country's "neutral status"? That's a smidge different than, "I just want the Donbass..."

How does just annexing the Donbass accomplish those tasks? Or are you saying that now Putin just wants the Donbass and "forget about that other stuff I wanted"?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
Stack, I think the point is Russia wants Ukraine to stop acting hostile towards it.  I don't think its more complicated then that.  If this can happen, talks about improving relations can maybe start.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
Stack, I think the point is Russia wants Ukraine to stop acting hostile towards it.  I don't think its more complicated then that.  If this can happen, talks about improving relations can maybe start.

I don't know if you're aware of this but Russia invaded Ukraine.  Not the other way around.